PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Finally Figured Out How to Stop Firefox?

Knightskye
10-06-2008, 11:57 PM
I figured out why Firefox kept crashing. There's this "Data Execution Prevention" thing on Windows Vista that closes programs if it thinks something bad might happen, like a virus. Thought crime? For me, the only time it's acted is when I've used Firefox.

DEP does let you add things to a list of programs you trust. But it doesn't let you add Firefox! Smell fishy? :eek:

But I found out how to disable it.

Put this in the command prompt. And then restart your computer.
bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Spider-Man
10-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Oh, man... sorry to hear that.

http://petewilliamsagency.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/Apple%20computer-2.JPG

Knightskye
10-07-2008, 12:07 AM
Oh, man... sorry to hear that.

http://petewilliamsagency.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/Apple%20computer-2.JPG

Hah. Yeah, lets hope they don't embed something in Microsoft Word that makes it crash on Macs.

But then Apple would make iWrite, or something like that.

Personally, I think Microsoft should improve Internet Explorer. Before Mozilla makes their own operating system.

RickyJ
10-07-2008, 12:08 AM
Run a version of Linux and never worry about that crappy bug infested overpriced software ever again. Macs are good too, but they cost too much.

ClayTrainor
10-07-2008, 12:26 AM
Run a version of Linux and never worry about that crappy bug infested overpriced software ever again. Macs are good too, but they cost too much.

I hear about more and more people switching to linux these days.

The idea intrigues me but, I love gaming, and from what i hear... Windows > Linux or mac, when it comes to gaming.

Ninja Homer
10-07-2008, 01:15 AM

The idea intrigues me but, I love gaming, and from what i hear... Windows > Linux or mac, when it comes to gaming.

Yeah, if you want to play the latest games on a computer, Windows is the way to go. I gave up gaming on a computer long ago, and now just play games on Wii or XBOX. Gaming computers are a lot more expensive than gaming consoles, especially if you want the latest and greatest. I also found that games have a tendency to make a PC very unstable, and I need a stable computer to work with.

I'd like to use Linux or Mac, but all my software is Windows, and the software is a lot more expensive than buying a new computer, so I'm sticking with Windows for at least a while longer. I don't like Vista though, so I'll be using XP Professional as long as I possibly can, unless they somehow manage to get all the bugs and annoyances out of Vista.

Nanerbeet
10-07-2008, 01:26 AM
DEP does let you add things to a list of programs you trust. But it doesn't let you add Firefox! Smell fishy? :eek:

But I found out how to disable it.

Computer programmer here; DEP (data execution prevention) is a fatal exception (i.e. fault) that occurs when program execution jumps to an invalid instruction address in the data segment.

This exception can occur for different reasons: when the program is filled with bugs (like buffer overruns) or when a virus takes advantage of a security hole to execute un-authorized code.

You'd be crazy to disable DEP for a web browser, plain and simple. This is probably why microsoft blocks you from doing it because who in their right fucking mind would want to enable security holes in their web browser? Data execution is the highest level of security vulnerability possible. Data execution allows a virus to be transmitted in a data file such as MP3 or JPG or even just a web page and gain complete control over the system.

If you can't run Firefox because your getting a DEP exception I'd wager you already HAVE a virus. Might want to check into that.

libertythor
10-07-2008, 01:34 AM
Hah. Yeah, lets hope they don't embed something in Microsoft Word that makes it crash on Macs.

Personally, I think Microsoft should improve Internet Explorer. Before Mozilla makes their own operating system.

get Pages from iWork or OpenOffice.

Knightskye
10-07-2008, 02:56 AM
Computer programmer here; DEP (data execution prevention) is a fatal exception (i.e. fault) that occurs when program execution jumps to an invalid instruction address in the data segment.

This exception can occur for different reasons: when the program is filled with bugs (like buffer overruns) or when a virus takes advantage of a security hole to execute un-authorized code.

You'd be crazy to disable DEP for a web browser, plain and simple. This is probably why microsoft blocks you from doing it because who in their right fucking mind would want to enable security holes in their web browser? Data execution is the highest level of security vulnerability possible. Data execution allows a virus to be transmitted in a data file such as MP3 or JPG or even just a web page and gain complete control over the system.

If you can't run Firefox because your getting a DEP exception I'd wager you already HAVE a virus. Might want to check into that.

Virus-free.

But why doesn't it shut down Internet Explorer?

Nanerbeet
10-07-2008, 03:04 AM
Other than having a virus, a DEP exception will be trigged by software riddled with bugs. It could be Firefox or a plug-in. The google toolbar on my primary computer sometimes causes a DEP at startup because the toolbar is a piece of shit.

I know you're a Microsoft hater but they've done a lot to reduce or eliminate bugs/security holes in IE thats why it doesn't crash.

coyote_sprit
10-07-2008, 03:19 AM

You can still play WoW, Guild Wars, CS:S and quite a few others at full speed you may need to mess around with some DLLs and registry entries but all in all it's wonderful.

http://appdb.winehq.org/

coyote_sprit
10-07-2008, 03:27 AM

There are several open source office suites for Mac for instance NeoOffice, OpenOffice and KOffice(using Fink).

And Mozilla doesn't need to make a good open source OS there already is a Linux.

Dieseler
10-07-2008, 09:17 AM
I figured out a way to prevent Microsoft from working on my pc 99.9% of the time.
I decided to use Ubuntu Linux. I have not looked back as far as my day to day dealings online.
As far as gaming goes, remember that I said 99.9% of the time. I'm just a Linux noob so there won't be a lot of monkeying around with Wine and as far as Cedega goes in my opinion that defeats the entire Linux ideal for me as it is not free to use.

I will refer back to this thread http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=145775&highlight=Dieseler where I received a ton of help from other Ron Paul supporters, Constituent, thanks by the way again, to show how I evolved from a Windows slave to a Linux empowered pc user.
Ok, heres a copy and paste from 7/25/2008. Since then I am still rolling with no hiccups.
After the crash I decided the only way I could feel safe with a Ubuntu system
(Until I becam a Linux Zen Master)
and my Data,
would be with a dual boot set-up with a 3rd drive for data.

Here is the setup I use now and is working very well for me.
Installed Ubuntu Hardy 8.04 on 120 Gig drive internal, gave it the whole partition. Cable select master.
Installed Win Xp service pack 2 on a 20 Gig drive internal. Cable select slave.
Added a 160 Gig drive reserved for my data and back-ups. IDE slave behind a Sony Dvd burner.
Bios boot order, Dvd, Hard drive (That has the Grub boot loader and Linux installed), Hard drive (That has Windows Xp installed),...
If there is no bootable media in the Dvd you will boot into Ubuntu and never know Windows was there.
So I had to edit Grub, the Linux boot loader, and this was the simplest guide I could find.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...umper+settings
Have no fear.
Just read carefully and it will be a breeze to do this.

Now at boot up I get this to select from.
Ubuntu
Ubuntu blah blah console only I think
Ubuntu blah blah blah something else recovery or whatever.
Windows XP
With 10 seconds to choose or default to ubuntu.

Works like a charm and Data is safely mounted and accessed through Ubuntu or Windows on that 3rd 160 Gig drive.
Note: I have had a problem accessing some of the files on the data only hard drive from Win XP, but who cares anyway because I only use it to play games. I am able to transfer files from the Win Xp drive to the data drive no problem but the Windows drive can not see the Linux drive at all and for this I am thankful because I have noticed Windows writing to the Data only drive at times. It seem that Windows can not leave anything alone.

Now I have to figure out one of the many ways available to back up my Linux install.
Pain in the ass having to re install then download all the apps and updates.
You can bet I will be finding out the easiest way it can be done and I will update when I do,

EDIT: Since the time of that post I have become somewhat proficient with Bash script and have modified the work of others (Open source) and designed a back up script that works for me to do things the way I want it to. Seems like a lot to learn but their are many examples to follow and its not that hard.
Back to subject,
This 3 hard drive set up is the best of both worlds for me. I can surf safely inside Ubuntu with Firefox 3 and collect my email through a myriad of options while working outside the grasp of Microsoft continuously at my leisure with all of my data safely stored on its own separate drive. Whenever I feel like playing a game, I just reboot and choose the option to load up Windows Xp. I install any games or apps that I want to deal with on windows only there.
Side note: Linux is far less susceptible to Virus attacks than Microsoft.
I hope that helps somebody out.

Indy Vidual
10-07-2008, 10:13 AM
I use Firefox on Vista and haven't had any problem, yet.

Knightskye
10-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I use Firefox on Vista and haven't had any problem, yet.

There's a first time for everything.