PDA

View Full Version : What about platinum?

chrisc888
10-06-2008, 05:46 PM
With gold and silver in short supply now, is there any good reason to buy platinum or other precious metals (palladium, rhodium, etc)?

socialize_me
10-06-2008, 05:54 PM
I would stay away from platinum. It has very limited industrial use and has not had the intrinsic value that gold and silver have had. The history behind platinum is pretty interesting as at first Spaniards found it to be nuisance metal when they were looking for silver in South America.

If you want to go outside of gold/silver, then I might recommend copper. If we didn't have copper, there'd be no TV, electricity, cell phones, computers, refrigerators, or pennies as we know it.

jkr
10-06-2008, 06:09 PM
next gen batteries for transit...buy!

psalm82x3
10-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Platinum good...Paper bad...

amy31416
10-06-2008, 10:17 PM
I would stay away from platinum. It has very limited industrial use and has not had the intrinsic value that gold and silver have had. The history behind platinum is pretty interesting as at first Spaniards found it to be nuisance metal when they were looking for silver in South America.

If you want to go outside of gold/silver, then I might recommend copper. If we didn't have copper, there'd be no TV, electricity, cell phones, computers, refrigerators, or pennies as we know it.

What? Platinum has fantastic tech use! I can't say how well it will or won't pay off, but it's used in scientific applications all the time. Far more than gold or silver. Copper, of course, is always good. No problem there.

I truly doubt the Spaniards were aware of its potential.

noxagol
10-06-2008, 10:19 PM
Platinum is fantastic stuff, great catalyst for tons of things.

AZ Libertarian
10-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Your best investments at this time are firearms and ammunition.

In bad times, the return rate is phenominal!