PDA

View Full Version : Comic Relief - Please view/rate our new campaign ads

austin4paul
10-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Don Zimmerman is a Ron Paul-endorsed candidate running for Travis County Tax Assessor-Collector. We've just produced some TV ads to promote his campaign and would appreciate your feedback as we're planning to start running TV ads later this week.

http://www.youtube.com/user/taxpayers4zimmerman

We think they're funny - I hope you do too. Please let me know

a) which is most memorable
b) which one best promotes our message that taxpayers are overtaxed
c) which one makes you most likely to vote for Don

He's running against a 16-yr incumbent Democrat in a Democrat county, so we have a serious uphill battle. We need to do something to grab the voter's attention - and we're targeting these ads to voters that share our fiscal conservative values, but are social moderate or liberal independents and Democrats.

Thanks for your help.

Lisa Mallory
Campaign Manager

LittleLightShining
10-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Honestly, I like the black and white one the best. It really gets to the heart of the issue.

hopeforamerica
10-06-2008, 04:03 PM
I wouldn't use the ones with blood and guts, you're going to turn off too many people. The points are valid and it would be memorable, but I think the blood is too much. I liked the one where you smashed the house. The black and white is good, but long.

JaylieWoW
10-06-2008, 04:06 PM
Honestly, I like the black and white one the best. It really gets to the heart of the issue.

+1

The others were really funny (the kidney one was priceless) but I think the comedy would be lost on a majority of the public. The black & white one gets right to it by stating simple cause and effect without using fancy buzz words. I liked it!

austin4paul
10-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Thanks for your feedback. The black & white is definitely the safest and most "politically correct" choice - We could edit it down to a 30-second spot, but does it grab your attention as the more humorous ones do? We could also edit the "change" piece to exclude the last part with the body parts. And bear in mind that the city motto here in Austin is "Keep Austin weird" - it's a Democratic stronghold with a 16-year old grandmother black female incumbent in a a year of Obamamaniacs heading to the polls in record numbers here.

bojo68
10-06-2008, 07:00 PM
Thanks for your feedback. The black & white is definitely the safest and most "politically correct" choice - We could edit it down to a 30-second spot, but does it grab your attention as the more humorous ones do? We could also edit the "change" piece to exclude the last part with the body parts. And bear in mind that the city motto here in Austin is "Keep Austin weird" - it's a Democratic stronghold with a 16-year old grandmother black female incumbent in a a year of Obamamaniacs heading to the polls in record numbers here.

It grabs my attention because it's REAL, the rest to varying degrees get pretty far afield. To me, the advertising a entity puts up says a lot about what it is, and the hammer/house and kidney thing are pretty far fetched, and I would avoid giving people the opportunity to think that the candidate made false conclusions, it tends to say he's a space case.
So I'd want the black and white one tops, and the garage sale one second, and the skip the others.

tggroo7
10-06-2008, 07:35 PM
"Taxpayers welcome change" and the kidney ones were most memorable, but I wouldn't air the kidney one, and I like the change one but it lost me on why I need to vote for the guy. I'd have to agree with the previous posts and say the black and white one was the best.

Texan4Life
10-06-2008, 07:41 PM
the Kidney one all the way!!

I think it was done tastefully and wouldn't repulse people at all (maybe a 90 year old, maybe). I think it would make people watch. I mean, wouldn't you stop and watch the TV if you saw a guy in a bathtub full of ice to see what the flip is going on?

I truly LOLed at that one. I have already seen a zimmerman ad on TV. So I think a nice funny one like that would do good. People would really identify with it and it would stick in their head!

Knightskye
10-06-2008, 07:47 PM
I didn't like the kidneys one.

Aratus
09-22-2010, 12:26 PM
these ads were clever in their day!
can we send them around via an email
run just short of spam to all our momma
grizzlies and ACTUAL tea party hopefuls thusly?
or are they too 2oo8 and auld lang syne???
seems to me if we have less gore as we
simply don't bore one + all this fall...