PDA

View Full Version : How to win the Revolution: College campuses

socialize_me
10-06-2008, 08:28 AM
I'm currently a sophomore in college and saw in the university newspaper that they were looking for Opinion Writers for the opinion columns in the newspaper, and that they were looking for people with fresh ideas. Right above the article was a pro-Obama senior student that made me want to lose my breakfast.

Anyway, I think this is where we should launch an all out assault. College students in this forum and in this movement should look at becoming active in showcasing their opinions in their school newspaper as they are surprisingly read regularly by university students. This would be a great venue to indoctrinate the youth with respect to liberty and free enterprise. It makes sense. Look at Asian countries where the people revolted against their government. Whether it be Korea, China, or Taiwan, all of the protests were initiated by college students which sparked national distaste for the central control. Students are generally more willing to actively protest, so giving them a taste of some common sense Constitutionalism would be a great start.

Storm your college campus's newspaper doors now!! Flood their liberal minds with logic :)

socialize_me
10-06-2008, 08:56 AM
bump

Scribbler de Stebbing
10-06-2008, 09:06 AM
So, when does your first column come out?\

socialize_me
10-06-2008, 09:08 AM
After I apply for it today.

Ooo counter 0wned.

socialize_me
10-06-2008, 12:59 PM
no one thinks this is a good idea?? :confused: oookay

jkr
10-06-2008, 01:06 PM
enrollment may drop...

socialize_me
10-06-2008, 01:46 PM
uhhh...

jbuttell
10-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Of course it's a good idea. Just do it, if you really believe in your idea. Don't wait for anyone's approval here.

paulpwns
10-06-2008, 02:04 PM
My college students are complete idiots. They want MORE govt. I should know I just graduated and worked my entire senior year on campus for the RP campaign.

socialize_me
10-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Well I wasn't looking for approval for doing this, but I figured I'd give a shout out to fellow college students in this forum who wanted to push the movement further. What better way than to use a campus-wide newspaper to discuss the truth behind the Federal Reserve and the Constitution? Everyone in those opinion columns bitch and moan about McCain/Obama/Biden/Palin so it's a natural turn off to readers--if we wanted to read about those men/woman, we could just turn on CNN. Why not offer them something different like the truth?

socialize_me
10-06-2008, 02:06 PM
My college students are complete idiots. They want MORE govt. I should know I just graduated and worked my entire senior year on campus for the RP campaign.

Yeah, they do tend to be more liberal, but considering I'm in the Midwest, there's a lot more conservatives here. Besides, the Federal Reserve/Constitution isn't a Republican or Democrat, Right or Left, or Conservative or Liberal issue. It's an American issue.

Chieftain1776
10-06-2008, 03:10 PM
Yeah campus activism is important and more rewarding IMO. Ideas--even radical ones--are taken a bit more seriously as opposed to being rejected out of hand simply because they're not popular. Most importantly younger people are the most open to arguments and other perspectives. I regret not being involved more formally when I was there (graduated 2005).

That said you should check out the documentary "Indocrinate U" to see what you're up against. Maybe there should be a forum dedicated to C4L campus activism. Many of the campus conservative organizations were heavily libertarian/conservative (yaf.org) or even initially started by radical libertarians (http://www.isi.org). But be "better read" than the people in there so you can prove that you're not just pulling this stuff out of nowhere and are part of a long tradition of anti interventionist conservatism.

Our movement has consistently provided the intellectual and rhetorical backbone of conservatism and the Republican party even to this day. What happens once the political beneficiaries of that message get into office is another matter however.

Anyway it's a good approach and let us know if you want any ideas...I have a few more. I am curious as to how many students there are on these message boards...I'm not sure there are many.

EndTheFed
10-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Mmmm They did this in 1968...

:D

OferNave
10-06-2008, 03:47 PM
I agree that high schools and colleges are the way to go. Most people tend to pretty much shut their mind to alternative perspectives after college. If we can reach a significant fraction of current high school and college students, we're in great shape for the future. It's like a truth innoculation. :)

surf
10-06-2008, 04:19 PM
good luck. try to get on the editorial board as well and you can use your influence to gain endorsements for liberty-friendly candidates. you'll probably be smarter than the chief editor, so what you write shouldn't be challenged.

didn't RP get the endorsement of the Daily Gamecock or something like that?

i'm looking forward to seeing your first Opinion piece. post it for us.

i'm looking forward to seeing your first Opinion piece. post it for us.

Shotdown1027
10-06-2008, 04:28 PM
The best way to conquer college campuses? Young Americans for Liberty. The group that grew out of Students for Ron Paul...

YoungAmericansforLiberty.com

zach
10-06-2008, 04:42 PM
Just did an article in ours..

It's about how the Us vs. Them mentality divides us and how big government controls us through that and all the various Acts being passed.

Thinking about promoting Campaign For Liberty/third party options soon..

DirtMcGirt
10-06-2008, 06:16 PM
a simple point to discuss with college students who haven't taken a political science class is that there are more than two parties... some of these students i bump into have no idea...then talk about liberty

Brassmouth
10-06-2008, 06:31 PM
As a college student, I'm all for this. I think I may follow your lead and see if I can write some articles in the newspaper, or start a libertarian cocurricular group. One of my professors recommended I do that anyway.