PDA

View Full Version : I can't help it... I'm still seething

LittleLightShining
10-06-2008, 07:12 AM
I just got off the phone with my congresstard. I'm still so overwhelmingly angry about this bailout bill. I sent him the letter below. I also sent it to a bunch of newspapers, hoping they would print it and I posted it on a few other message boards. I called today because I know Welch and he won't get back to me for another 4-6 weeks. I'm going to call his office EVERY DAY until I get a response from him.

An open letter to Peter Welch:

It is with a heavy heart that I write this letter to you. I'm still in a state of shock over the absolutely horrible decision you made in changing your vote from a no to a yes on the bailout bill.

On September 29 you said, "The economic crisis we face is real. However, I voted against the bailout because it isn't paid for and because I don't believe it will work.”

On October 3 you issued a statement on your website www.welch.house.gov , "I will, however, vote for the new bill before the House today for three significant reasons…
"And, on Tuesday, I spoke at length with Senator Obama. He shares the reservations I have about this legislation. He assured me that, as president, he will improve this bill in two essential ways. He is committed to assisting struggling homeowners with bankruptcy protections, and establishing a "recoupment" fund so the financial services industry, not taxpayers, will ultimately foot the bill for this rescue.”

I don’t see anywhere in your reason to vote for this monstrosity and crime against the American people a way to pay for it. In fact, in reading through the bill there is provision for paying for it at all. You mentioned three reasons for your vote flip-flop, one being a change in SEC accounting practices, the other an increase in the coverage the for which the FDIC would be responsible.

I find it interesting that it took an $857,000,000,000 bill to accomplish this. The FDIC provision you cited is acceptable. I have no qualms with that as we will need a $250,000 ceiling when all those dollars the FED keeps printing make it into the hands of the American people. Too bad they won’t be worth today’s $1 when we get them.

The quoted paragraph above is where I really have a lot of trouble, Mr. Welch. You spoke with Senator Obama, a candidate for president, not the president-elect and he assured you that he will improve the bill in 2 important ways when he is president? Why didn’t he improve the bill in 2 important ways in the Senate??? You assume he will win, and unless you have some insider information that you inadvertently leaked, the election has not happened yet and the American people have not voted yet, therefore we do not know who will be the President.

*Sigh*

Then you said this, “Passing this plan, imperfect as it may be, protects taxpayers and gives us our best chance at stabilizing the economy and protecting the jobs, savings, and retirement accounts of hard working Vermonters. Those were my goals. That is my responsibility. And that is why I vote yes on this revised bill.
"This is a bitter pill to swallow, especially for thrifty and responsible Vermonters. It is my judgment, however, that a failure to act would further aggravate economic instability for working Vermonters and businesses.”

Mr. Welch, I fear you have not listened to your constituents and instead decided to jump on your party bandwagon. Your responsibility is to be the Representative of the People of Vermont in Congress. You did not represent us; you acted according to your own judgment and you made us captive to promises that may or may not be kept.

You bet this is a bitter pill to swallow. And you may be right that failure to act would further aggravate economic instability. However you voted for a bill that will only exacerbate the problems. You said that we don’t have the money to pay for the $700,000,000,000. I can safely assert that we do not have the money to pay for this even more expensive bill. And I’m going to venture to guess that this won’t be the last of the rescue plans we are going to be asked to shoulder.
When our dollar is useless and we are hungry and cold what else will we have to give? This bill wasn’t for the American people. This bill was for international bankers and gamblers in the world of finance. Everyone knows this. While we struggle to heat our homes, pay our rents or mortgages and feed our children the people we had to save in order to save the American people will be enjoying their new islands in Dubai.

"Our economic problems will not be solved with this new law. There is no quick-fix. The path to a more prosperous future will take a return to the core values Vermonters know: Our economic policies must support our middle class. We can't spend and borrow beyond our means. And we must reward work and entrepreneurship, not speculation and market manipulation.

"By returning to common sense values that have been the foundation of our nation, we can help all Vermonters and all Americans prosper. That is the hard work that lies ahead."

This last part is so ironic I don’t even know where to start. The doublespeak is so clever some people may not get it. “Our economic problems will not be solved with this new law.” Then why did you vote for it? “We can’t spend and borrow beyond our means.” It sure doesn’t appear to be the policy there in Washington. “We must reward work and entrepreneurship, not speculation and market manipulation.” Please, Mr. Welch, then why did you vote to for this bill?

Vermonters aren’t feeling the effects of this mortgage crisis as painfully as other parts of the country because as you said in your statement we are thrifty people, we understand the value of hard work. Yes, Mr. Welch, the people of Vermont know all about common sense values. What happened to yours?

Sincerely,
LLS

Ron Paul Vermont
10-06-2008, 07:17 AM
Excellent! I sent him a letter as well voicing my displeasure to say the least. I even sent him a letter the first time thanking him for voting no! So much for that...

LittleLightShining
10-06-2008, 07:18 AM
The grammar and paragraph arrangement could have been better, but I think I made my point.

acptulsa
10-06-2008, 07:26 AM
I called his office Friday, myself.

"Please inform Rep. Sullivan that he just secured (his opponent) Georgianna Oliver an active grassroots campaigner she didn't have this morning."

LittleLightShining
10-06-2008, 07:34 AM
I called his office Friday, myself.

"Please inform Rep. Sullivan that he just secured (his opponent) Georgianna Oliver an active grassroots campaigner she didn't have this morning." That's the plan for Tomorrow's phone call. I want to make it interesting for the aides, anyway.

Haven't seen you much lately, acp. How've you been?

acptulsa
10-06-2008, 07:46 AM
Haven't seen you much lately, acp. How've you been?

Angry.

But I've channeled that anger into some coldly informative posts here and there. And get a lot of lit. distributed for our local liberty candidates. It is crunch time.

And now I get to hawk a damned average, utterly uninspirational, big government Democrat. Ugh. Why can't these alleged conservatives stand up like statesmen when push comes to shove?!

Oh, and I've been savoring my post count, too...