PDA

View Full Version : Why I am changing my username on RPF

AbolishTheGovt
10-05-2008, 04:35 PM
For those who have been on these forums since October of 2007, you may have seen me around as "aspiringconstitutionalist." I decided I could no longer post my views under that name. Here's why:

In 2004, I cast my first vote for George W. Bush for President and Dick Cheney for Vice President. I was raised in a very [neo]conservative family and in a church whose members often espoused Christian Reconstructionist ideas. I based my vote on how Christian the candidate was, how socially conservative the candidate was, and how eager to make war the candidate was (the more eager, the more likely to get my vote).

In 2007 (after it became clear that my first choice, Condoleezza Rice, would not be running), I began to support Rudy Giuliani's presidential campaign. I even started a political organization of social conservatives supporting Rudy for President. In the South Carolina debate, Ron Paul stood up against Rudy Giuliani. I sided with Giuliani at the time, but after spending the summer of 2007 researching Ron Paul and his views, by that Autumn, I had become a Ron Paul Republican. I sealed the deal with my first donation to the Ron Paul campaign in October of 2007, and it was at that time that I joined Ron Paul Forums under the username of "aspiringconstitutionalist." I really was an aspiring constitutionalist at the time. I was new to the whole constitutionalism thing and I was astonished to keep finding so many government programs so blatantly in violation of the Constitution. I was still learning about what the Constitution actually says, what it actually meant, and which government actions were really constitutional or unconstitutional. Over the past year, I've gotten a very good handle on those things, but within the past few months, my continual studies have lead me even further than I ever expected.

This decision has been a long time in the making, and it's been one that I've been afraid to openly admit to, but I am no longer merely a constitutionalist (although I do believe that those politicians who take an oath to abide by the Constitution, should do so). I am, truly, an anarchist in the mold of such great thinkers as Murray Rothbard.

In less than two years, I have gone from a big-government neoconservative to a libertarian minarchist to a free market anarchist. It's been a bit of a whirlwind intellectual journey for me, but what pushed me from minarchist to anarchist was this point:

Involuntary government is essentially an aggressively-maintained monopoly on a few specific services (defense, courts, money, etc.), which is no different from a group maintaining a monopoly on other goods like food, water, or cars through the use of illegitimate force. This is a violation of the non-aggression axiom.

There are many other watertight arguments against the very concept of involuntary government. My first reaction upon learning of these arguments was a deep, deep sense within me that these arguments were dead on, but an intense fear of admitting the truth of the matter to myself. I imagine many will have the same feeling upon reading this post. Ludwig von Mises once said, "Government is essentially the negation of liberty," and he was absolutely right.

After some research, I have seen how free market anarchism has worked in the past (history is rife with examples), and how it is the only system truly compatible with liberty.

Admittedly, I could settle with a representative republic in the mold that our US Constitution prescribes, but that's not going to happen, and there is really no way to truly ensure that that form of government is kept in place, even if we could pare our government back down to a Constitutional size.

This bailout fiasco was the last straw. It has totally exposed how completely unaccountable this government is to the People. Ninety percent of Americans were against this, and the government just went ahead and did it anyway. They just stole $850 billion from us like it was a drop in the bucket (not including all the purchasing power the Fed has stolen from us in recent weeks--about $1 trillion--by mere printing up more money and credit).

I layed out my thoughts in another thread, entitled, "What if we abolished the United States government on the Fifth of November? (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=160959)"

I encourage you to read that post as well, and offer your thoughts.

I think it's time to end this charade, once and for all.

Dequeant
10-05-2008, 04:37 PM
I also created a new name somewhat similar in ideals to what i believe your new name is.

I was banned after my first post.

So here I am, back on my old one, heh.

nate895
10-05-2008, 04:37 PM
If you would have payed the ten dollars to become a subscribing member, you could have kept all your old stats.

Dequeant
10-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Also, with a name like that, i strongly advise you to use an anonymous network to connect to RPF.

I recommend using TOR or I2P.

JoshLowry
10-05-2008, 04:42 PM
I also created a new name somewhat similar in ideals to what i believe your new name is.

I was banned after my first post.

So here I am, back on my old one, heh.

:confused: PM me username please...

Great post aspiringcons- AbolishTheGovt :)

mport1
10-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Good name change. I like it. That is what I just wrote in for nearly every choice on my absentee ballot I just mailed :)

Kludge
10-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Wouldn't it have been easier to just have had your name changed....?

AbolishTheGovt
10-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Wouldn't it have been easier to just have had your name changed....?

I didn't know that was possible. I suppose it doesn't really matter much now, since it's already all said and done.

brandon
10-05-2008, 04:54 PM
Great post!!!!

jcarcinogen
10-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Good post.

Cowlesy
10-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Great post!!!!

+1

liberteebell
10-05-2008, 05:03 PM
You young people make me smile and give me much hope. It's rough in some ways, I know, but I believe you're very lucky to have all this knowledge at your stage in life.

powerofreason
10-05-2008, 05:35 PM
Grats on the conversion :p

angelatc
10-05-2008, 05:47 PM
The conversion is indeed comendable, but I am old enough to remember the sixties. I am firmly attached to the notion that most of the people who suggest using force to achieve their political goals are undesirable.

Even reading other forums, which have traditionally been aligned with neocon views, I am seeing perfectly innocuous posters subtly suggesting that protesters take up arms.

Again, I am old enough to have lived through the sixties. I believe that anybody calling for a violent revolution is likely an agent provocateur. Such stratagies serve two purposes. They obviously provides law enforcement with a valid reason for arrest. They also isolate the ideas behind the revolution from the mainstream populace.

MsDoodahs
10-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I read your post aloud to my husband.

Our decision to support Ron Paul was based on the knowledge that through his campaign, there would be many new converts to the philosophy of market anarchism.

WELCOME!

The DooDahs

:)

AbolishTheGovt
10-05-2008, 05:55 PM
The conversion is indeed comendable, but I am old enough to remember the sixties. I am firmly attached to the notion that most of the people who suggest using force to achieve their political goals are undesirable.

Even reading other forums, which have traditionally been aligned with neocon views, I am seeing perfectly innocuous posters subtly suggesting that protesters take up arms.

Again, I am old enough to have lived through the sixties. I believe that anybody calling for a violent revolution is likely an agent provocateur. Such stratagies serve two purposes. They obviously provides law enforcement with a valid reason for arrest. They also isolate the ideas behind the revolution from the mainstream populace.

Agreed 100%.

I am not seeking violent revolution.

I am seeking a massive, simultaneous transfer from involuntary servitude to the United States government to voluntary contracts with private defense/court/insurance firms on November the Fifth, 2009. No killing. No shooting. No blowing up a building. Just a statement and a peaceful act.

me3
10-05-2008, 06:12 PM
In less than two years, I have gone from a big-government neoconservative to a libertarian minarchist to a free market anarchist. It's been a bit of a whirlwind intellectual journey for me, but what pushed me from minarchist to anarchist was this point:

Involuntary government is essentially an aggressively-maintained monopoly on a few specific services (defense, courts, money, etc.), which is no different from a group maintaining a monopoly on other goods like food, water, or cars through the use of illegitimate force. This is a violation of the non-aggression axiom.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3537/hellyeah2837093bx2.jpg

Truth Warrior
10-05-2008, 06:40 PM
Congrats on your epiphany and the RPF username change!

Enjoy! :D

Anti Federalist
10-05-2008, 07:53 PM

Yah, that was a "Well, I'll be damned" moment for me as well.

Welcome aboard.

rational thinker
10-05-2008, 08:03 PM
Great post, though I'm still a libertarian minarchist. ;)

AbolishTheGovt
10-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Great post, though I'm still a libertarian minarchist. ;)

And still a brave comrade in the fight for liberty. I don't expect everyone to become an anarchocapitalist, but I think a lot more and more people will in coming months.

mediahasyou
10-06-2008, 11:07 AM
But, as St. Paul says, there comes a time to put away childish things.
Welcome. Congratulations on finding the solution of liberty.
http://www.voluntaryist.com/anarchism/reluctant.php :)

gilliganscorner
10-06-2008, 11:24 AM
And still a brave comrade in the fight for liberty. I don't expect everyone to become an anarchocapitalist, but I think a lot more and more people will in coming months.

My journey has been very similar to yours. Except that I am Canadian. Don't hold it against me. ;) It was one hell of an unlearning process. Now I am unable to politically relate to 99.9% of my peers.

You can abolish the government. Somewhat easily. Agorism (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?p=1652039#post1652039) is what you are seeking. RP supporters are beginning to come around. It's inevitable. And no, I am not being smarmy.

mediahasyou
10-06-2008, 11:30 AM
My journey has been very similar to yours. Except that I am Canadian. Don't hold it against me. ;) It was one hell of an unlearning process. Now I am unable to politically relate to 99.9% of my peers.
I was that way until my peers became my converts. It takes time but the journey to anarchy with available resources is inevitable because after all "Freedom is Popular".

gilliganscorner
10-06-2008, 11:34 AM
I was that way until my peers became my converts. It takes time but the journey to anarchy with available resources is inevitable because after all "Freedom is Popular".

Most of my peers don't get uppity unless you screw with their beer or cable. Converting some of them has been successful, others agree with you until they have to put their beer down and research and educate themselves, still others get the ol' glazed donut look on their faces, and others get outright hostile. And no, I am not shrieking on a soapbox.

God, Government Indoctrination we call "public education" is just so intellectually crippling. They take the mind in its most receptive state and thwart it.

Mortikhi
10-06-2008, 11:37 AM
I didn't know that was possible. I suppose it doesn't really matter much now, since it's already all said and done.

There's a sticky at the top of the forum that says if you become a paying member of this site, you can have your forum name changed.

mediahasyou
10-06-2008, 11:42 AM
Most of my peers don't get uppity unless you screw with their beer or cable. Converting some of them has been successful, others agree with you until they have to put their beer down and research and educate themselves, still others get the ol' glazed donut look on their faces, and others get outright hostile. And no, I am not shrieking on a soapbox.

God, Government Indoctrination we call "public education" is just so intellectually crippling. They take the mind in its most receptive state and thwart it.

;)Keep sending links:
http://www.voluntaryist.com/articles/079a.php