PDA

View Full Version : From Orlando Florida!‏

pennycat
10-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Wrote this to my meetup in Orlando. Thought it might give you guys some ideas. Feel free to copy, paste, whatever.

Nick

There is nothing like getting down in the grassroots of politics. I did just that this morning as I showed up at Republican Congressman Feeney's headquarters in Oviedo. Just a couple of dozen people showed for this old fashioned get out the vote effort, but no matter.

After walking through the door, I immediately shook Mr. Feeney's hand and launched into a friendly 10 minute talk about why I was there. I told him that I was a Ron Paul Republican and appreciated his principled stand against the bailout for billionaires.

He told me that it was a no holds barred, arm twisting extravaganza. "I got calls from very high profile people like (names deleted for confidentiality) who routinely stroke six figure checks to campaigns." They said, "What are doing Tom, we want you to vote for the bailout."

For any man to stand up against that type of coercion, gets my respect. He then told me, "I hope and pray that I did the right thing." You did Tom, but you may pay a heavy price at the poles for obeying the Constitution and not corporate America.

He then tried to rally our meager troops by ticking off many accomplishments. "I was instrumental in getting funding for a VA hospital to be built nearby. And yet my opponent claims I don't support veterans," he said. "Thank you all so much for coming out here and volunteering to walk for me."

Tom is in a very tight race against Susanne Kosmas. Hundreds of thousands will be spent to influence voters in this rural Seminole, Orange, and Brevard county race.

My main reason for supporting Tom, was that he voted twice against the bailout. I can only imagine the guts it takes to oppose your party's president, and presidential nominee, on such a crucial issue. I made clear to him that my support was for Ron Paul. "Ron is a great guy, and I talk with him from time to time," said Feeney. "I'm guessing that Ron doesn't want the Fed to try and manipulate interest rates. But I really think that we need to get this economy going."

We went back and forth on libertarian ideas. In the end I nodded and said that pragmatism sometimes would win out over theory. He grinned and said, "Let me get this walk started."

With that I paired up with Lisa Bullion to grab our directions and was off.

Please guys understand. I'm not selling out ONE IOTA of my Ron Paul liberty principles. But I do feel that I must be more a part of the political process than to just to write pithy emails (and I think that I do a damn good job of that-thank you very much;-). Therefore I like to get out and meet traditional voters to see where they're at.

Many will scoff and sneer that this is mere pandering. I don't share that notion. It is only by knowing what makes typical voters tick, that we have a chance at a real rEVOLution.

We knocked on about 65 doors and get varying degrees of response. Tom Feeney had made this difficult by giving us lists of only 'soft' Democrats, independents, and 'soft' Republicans. His thought was that "traditional hardcore Republicans will vote for me anyway. I want to try and influence the broader spectrum of voters." He further explained that political analysts comb all sorts of data to come up with these types of lists. Hmm, these guys are pro's!

We got the gamut of responses. We were cautioned not to argue or debate anyone. We were just to put a friendly face on the campaign and point out some of Feeney's accomplishments. Funniest response I got was from a 30 something upscale house wife. "I never vote." Without missing a beat I said "Thank you for not being involved." Returning to the car we roared with laughter, 'yeah, if you're not going to look at issues, PLEASE DO NOT VOTE!'

As one final incentive, Feeney invited us to come to a tailgate picnic. Location was outside the UCF stadium and free food would be available, "and adult beverages if you are of age." Thanks Tom, this 50 year old could use a cold one after two hours of door to door.

The tailgate was perhaps the most interesting part of the day. There was a smallish turnout so again I had a chance to talk one on one with Tom Feeney. We went all over the place about issues. He then decided to introduce me to one of his upper staff people (sorry I forget her name; too many 'adult' beverages at this point). "She's my libertarian staffer." I smiled and said, "Just keep nudging Tom in the right direction." He quips, "Nudge? She PUSHES me in that direction."

I should also add that Tom has a very keen understanding of libertarian theory and agrees with much of it. After all, good conservatives are just a couple steps away from being true believers!

Okay, now you see what this event was all about. Guys I'll leave you with 1) a plea, and 2) a challenge.

1) Do we all wish that Ron Paul was running for President? Of course. No one else tells the truth about the horrible mess that big government has created. But our present situation is getting more and more dangerous. We must be part of the political process or else stand aside and watch tyranny continue to grow.

I'm begging you. Please keep writing emails and spreading the word of real political change (END THE FED!!!!).

2) But you also have a challenge. Get close to politicians. Learn all you can from them on how to win elections. And above all else let them hear your voice. Sure I made plenty of calls to Feeney's office about the bailout and he did vote the right way...

But I'll tell you what, I had a chance to talk with THE MAN FACE TO FACE for over a half hour. Corporate fat-cats write SIX FIGURE checks for this privilege. I spent two hours walking for him. DO THE MATH: $100,000 divided by 2 hours means he valued my time at $50,000!!! I'll take that payoff any day of the week.

Nick Egoroff
Orlando Ron Paul Campaign for Liberty Organizer
www.campaignforliberty.com (National Website)
www.ronpaul.meetup.com/184 (Orlando Ron Paul Group)

Matt Collins
10-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Nick - what you are doing in Orlando is an inspiration to many of us across the country! You are making good progress within the GOP down there.