PDA

View Full Version : I hate working within the GOP

spotics
10-04-2008, 04:33 PM
As somebody who took a position on my county Republican Party, I have to say I hate, hate it. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if there were a discussion of the issues and maybe I could influence our elected leaders. However I feel if you work within the GOP it is more a sport and you are supposed to cheer for the team no matter how bad the candidate is.

I also feel presured into supporting candidates. Of the five Republicans who are on my ballot, only one is remotely worth voting for and his Democratic opponent isn't that bad either. However he isn't worth spending every Saturday from now until November knocking on doors.

I should also point out that most Republicans are not Republicans for small government. Comments mentioned in most meetings include "Those Democrats just don't appreciate all the money (insert elected GOP official) brings to this area."

There are also too many individuals who are corrupt and involved in the Republican Party. Coming from a smaller county there really aren't any blatantly corrupt members. However once you go to a larger county the members are obviously corrupt. The man in charge of the largest county GOP in the region is involved so he can get special contracts through managed trade agreements. Believe me if you're not giving money to certain politicians you aren't getting those contracts. As a result he is rigging the system so only his business partners are being nominated for office. The larger counties also shut RP supporters out of their reorganization process which meant many of us could not become delegates.

Some people have told me once the election is over they'll start accepting RP supporters. I doubt this will be the case. If McCain wins then they'll claim it was worth keeping the RP supporters silent. If McCain loses they blame us by claiming our "disruption of the delegate process" was the cause or the reason they lost was Palin was too similar to RP.

Despite the corrupt members I remember there was once a time when the Republican Party in this area was run by people like us. Prior to the early 90s there was no Republican Party in this area. The Democrats dominated everything and more people voted in the primary election rather than the general because there were never any Republicans running. However people grew tired of the Democrats and their big government, high tax, anti-gun positions as well as the constant corruption. As such people organized county Republican Parties to challenge these people. They were successful, yet things didn't really change.

What happened was politicians lie. Our first Republican congressman in history promised to server two terms, balance the budget, and end federal involvement in education. Other problems were the same corrupt individuals who profited off Democratic corruption became Republicans. A man who was Democratic Party chairman for the largest county in the region now proudly refers to himself as a Republican. A lady whom used to be mayor of the largest city in the region has given up being a Democrat and was named Republican of the month three times in 2007.

The people who helped start the Republican Party in this area have either died off, left in disgust, stayed on and turned a blind eye to corruption, or become corrupt themselves.

Now you see why I want to resign my position. Do you think I should?

Matt Collins
10-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Now you see why I want to resign my position. Do you think I should?That would accomplish nothing by doing so. Don't just give up and walk away. Get in there, keep doing what you are doing, and eventually you'll hopefully be in a position to make decisions about the local party. At that point you'll be able to use the bully pulpit to if nothing else, at least make your case.

Ron Paul hasn't changed the outcome of a single bill in the House and probably never will, but yet he has still made great strides in the GOP towards the goal of liberty. And there are other local GOPs that are being taken over....err.. I mean there are other RP supporters who are "becoming the GOP" :D

Orlando is a great example. So is Nevada. And I am sure there are others.

Trust me, don't give up and let them win, stay and fight, and do whatever you can to get other RP supporters to show up and support you. With luck you can get other fellow RP'rs into office of your GOP and then things will then be MUCH easier and you won't feel like you are the lone man by yourself.

Keep up the good fight, you are serving your country.

psalm82x3
10-04-2008, 04:53 PM
Do you think I should?

Nope. Stick around.

You are my hero.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Simple. If you don't want to, you don't. I understand your concern. The GOP is rotten to the core, I know I wouldn't want to deal with biblethumping morons with falso morals on a daily basis myself.

Were you always a Republican? Or? Work with all parties, not just the GOP. It's retarded to just stick with one party imo.

Do they pay you?

Maybe the disguisted GOP should join the LP.

Where are you from?

www.lp.org

As somebody who took a position on my county Republican Party, I have to say I hate, hate it. Perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if there were a discussion of the issues and maybe I could influence our elected leaders. However I feel if you work within the GOP it is more a sport and you are supposed to cheer for the team no matter how bad the candidate is.

I also feel presured into supporting candidates. Of the five Republicans who are on my ballot, only one is remotely worth voting for and his Democratic opponent isn't that bad either. However he isn't worth spending every Saturday from now until November knocking on doors.

I should also point out that most Republicans are not Republicans for small government. Comments mentioned in most meetings include "Those Democrats just don't appreciate all the money (insert elected GOP official) brings to this area."

There are also too many individuals who are corrupt and involved in the Republican Party. Coming from a smaller county there really aren't any blatantly corrupt members. However once you go to a larger county the members are obviously corrupt. The man in charge of the largest county GOP in the region is involved so he can get special contracts through managed trade agreements. Believe me if you're not giving money to certain politicians you aren't getting those contracts. As a result he is rigging the system so only his business partners are being nominated for office. The larger counties also shut RP supporters out of their reorganization process which meant many of us could not become delegates.

Some people have told me once the election is over they'll start accepting RP supporters. I doubt this will be the case. If McCain wins then they'll claim it was worth keeping the RP supporters silent. If McCain loses they blame us by claiming our "disruption of the delegate process" was the cause or the reason they lost was Palin was too similar to RP.

Despite the corrupt members I remember there was once a time when the Republican Party in this area was run by people like us. Prior to the early 90s there was no Republican Party in this area. The Democrats dominated everything and more people voted in the primary election rather than the general because there were never any Republicans running. However people grew tired of the Democrats and their big government, high tax, anti-gun positions as well as the constant corruption. As such people organized county Republican Parties to challenge these people. They were successful, yet things didn't really change.

What happened was politicians lie. Our first Republican congressman in history promised to server two terms, balance the budget, and end federal involvement in education. Other problems were the same corrupt individuals who profited off Democratic corruption became Republicans. A man who was Democratic Party chairman for the largest county in the region now proudly refers to himself as a Republican. A lady whom used to be mayor of the largest city in the region has given up being a Democrat and was named Republican of the month three times in 2007.

The people who helped start the Republican Party in this area have either died off, left in disgust, stayed on and turned a blind eye to corruption, or become corrupt themselves.

AJ Antimony
10-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Hmmm.

My two cents:

1. A while ago I easily made the decision not to participate in the GOP. After the primary elections where RP obviously didn't "win" the delegates, I remained a registered Republican to test my luck at becoming a delegate. Unfortunately my district is McCain country. Then, after spending all of summer watching the GOP in every state completely screw over all RP supporters, I said "fuck it" to the GOP and am now registered no party independent. If it weren't for Ron Paul, I would have registered no party anyway and probably would not have cared to vote in the presidential primary.

2. However you're not like me. I never had a position in the GOP. You do. So my suggestion to you is to stay at your position, and make sure you're not forcing your beliefs on anyone. Be extremely confident in your beliefs, be VERY comfortable with them, and do all you reasonably can to promote them. The goal is not for you to warp their minds, but for them to do it to themselves. They should say to themselves, "Man, that guy is really confident in liberty. Perhaps I should look into it..."

nate895
10-04-2008, 05:03 PM
I hate working within it as well, but since no one seems willing to do otherwise because they don't have the guts, I guess I have to try.

spotics
10-04-2008, 05:24 PM
I was not always a Republican. I was a College Republican before leaving the GOP out of disgust for their support of war and deficit spending. After that I helped a few Democrats notably an antiwar, pro-civil liberties, pro-gun Democrat who ran for congress. He did not win the nomination because he lacked the money and name recognition of the winner. It also hurt that the establishment already had a candidate picked out (who also did not win) and I ran into these party members who were always downing my efforts. After that I did not want anything to do with politics again until Ron Paul announced his run for president.

I actually live in Kentucky. One problem I have is I so badly want to do everything I can to get rid of Mitch McConnell. There is no force like him. He truly is the Republican Party in Kentucky, gets more money from special interests than any other senator, and truly is driving our country to the ground. I'm not one for voting for the lesser of two evil, but there is nobody on Capitol Hill like Mitch. However being an officer in the local GOP forbids me from putting a Ditch Mitch bumper sticker on my car.

Simple. If you don't want to, you don't. I understand your concern. The GOP is rotten to the core, I know I wouldn't want to deal with biblethumping morons with falso morals on a daily basis myself.

Were you always a Republican? Or? Work with all parties, not just the GOP. It's retarded to just stick with one party imo.

Do they pay you?

Maybe the disguisted GOP should join the LP.

Where are you from?

www.lp.org

nate895
10-04-2008, 05:26 PM
I was not always a Republican. I was a College Republican before leaving the GOP out of disgust for their support of war and deficit spending. After that I helped a few Democrats notably an antiwar, pro-civil liberties, pro-gun Democrat who ran for congress. He did not win the nomination because he lacked the money and name recognition of the winner. It also hurt that the establishment already had a candidate picked out (who also did not win) and I ran into these party members who were always downing my efforts. After that I did not want anything to do with politics again until Ron Paul announced his run for president.

I actually live in Kentucky. One problem I have is I so badly want to do everything I can to get rid of Mitch McConnell. There is no force like him. He truly is the Republican Party in Kentucky, gets more money from special interests than any other senator, and truly is driving our country to the ground. I'm not one for voting for the lesser of two evil, but there is nobody on Capitol Hill like Mitch. However being an officer in the local GOP forbids me from putting a Ditch Mitch bumper sticker on my car.

Where in Kentucky do you live? I have a lot of family who live there.

BeFranklin
10-04-2008, 06:00 PM

In our state, that is what happened too. It become republican, and all the corrupt democrats became Republican so they could continue to excercise control over things.

Perhaps we should learn something from this. Like it is possible to take over a party. Or we should split to the democrat party and take them over. Or that all those people will probably leave if the bandwagon is with the democrats again.

TheTyke
10-04-2008, 06:06 PM
LOL Spotics, I'm kind of in the same position. I have been told that Lunsford has donated thousands to McConnell in the past, so I fear the corruption is so deep that even McConnell's "opponent" is in the same camp... I haven't been able to verify those donations 100% though.

I don't know the answer to your problem. I have the same one.. I can't make the Republican meetings, and even if I could, we have nothing in common to talk about. What do you do, eh? :o

nate895
10-04-2008, 06:08 PM
In our state, that is what happened too. It become republican, and all the corrupt democrats became Republican so they could continue to excercise control over things.

Perhaps we should learn something from this. Like it is possible to take over a party. Or we should split to the democrat party and take them over. Or that all those people will probably leave if the bandwagon is with the democrats again.

It is possible to take over a party if you can do it swiftly, before the leadership even knows it's happening. Now they have counteracted our attempts by making rules to limit our involvement, even to the point of giving the chairman of the party the authority to kick us out of committees. Unless if we can take control of enough of the lower committee to control every committee and elect new chairmen, we will not be able to work within the party.

OferNave
10-04-2008, 06:57 PM
I often consider it helpful to ask myself "What would Ron Paul do?". I don't always go with the answer to that, but I find it gives me perspective. There aren't too many principled Role Models these days to use.

lynnf
10-04-2008, 08:26 PM

is there any way to connect with C4L members in the area, or to start a local
Republican Liberty Caucus group?

http://www.republicanlibertycaucus.org/

http://www.rlc.org/

lynn

TheEvilDetector
10-04-2008, 08:33 PM
That would accomplish nothing by doing so. Don't just give up and walk away. Get in there, keep doing what you are doing, and eventually you'll hopefully be in a position to make decisions about the local party. At that point you'll be able to use the bully pulpit to if nothing else, at least make your case.

Ron Paul hasn't changed the outcome of a single bill in the House and probably never will, but yet he has still made great strides in the GOP towards the goal of liberty. And there are other local GOPs that are being taken over....err.. I mean there are other RP supporters who are "becoming the GOP" :D

Orlando is a great example. So is Nevada. And I am sure there are others.

Trust me, don't give up and let them win, stay and fight, and do whatever you can to get other RP supporters to show up and support you. With luck you can get other fellow RP'rs into office of your GOP and then things will then be MUCH easier and you won't feel like you are the lone man by yourself.

Keep up the good fight, you are serving your country.

Overturn them from within, before they overturn the country from within.

In other words, use their tactics against them, give them a dose of their own medicine.

spotics
10-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh I have no love for Lunsford. The guy made his fortune milking Medicare, Medicaid, and Tricare. However Lunsford is 61 years old which means it is doubtful he will ever be a senator long enough to achieve the power McConnell has. Again I normally refuse to vote for a lesser of two evil and will be writing in crazy names on my ballot. However to lessen the power McConnell has, which is extreme even in our big government, he must be voted out. Lunsford will not have that power.

I would also point out that for former RP supporters who want to work within the GOP, the best thing that could happen for them is to vote our McConnell. He has a loyal following because of his standing. However if he were voted out then that loyal crowd which runs the Republican Party throughout Kentucky would likely go over to the Democrats to mooch off Beshear and Lunsford. The GOP in Kentucky would collapse. The leading politicians would be Sen. Jim Bunning (whom despite his strong stand against the Fed and the bailout is a complete bonehead) or Trey Grayson (whom there is a strong chance would become a Democrat if Mitch lost).

LOL Spotics, I'm kind of in the same position. I have been told that Lunsford has donated thousands to McConnell in the past, so I fear the corruption is so deep that even McConnell's "opponent" is in the same camp... I haven't been able to verify those donations 100% though.

I don't know the answer to your problem. I have the same one.. I can't make the Republican meetings, and even if I could, we have nothing in common to talk about. What do you do, eh? :o

spotics
10-04-2008, 08:41 PM
We tried it but they got word of our plans. They will violate their own rules to stay in power if need be. While some of us did become officers, to say we've been treated well is a lie. We've been treated like dirt by the state party.

The best chance to take over the GOP in Kentucky is to simply vote out Mitch McConnell. He is the supreme leader of the Republican Party in this state. Without him the crooks would abandon the GOP like rats in a sinking ship leaving us to take it over.

However that is just Kentucky and no other state Republican Party has just one person with the power the McConnell wields.

It is possible to take over a party if you can do it swiftly, before the leadership even knows it's happening. Now they have counteracted our attempts by making rules to limit our involvement, even to the point of giving the chairman of the party the authority to kick us out of committees. Unless if we can take control of enough of the lower committee to control every committee and elect new chairmen, we will not be able to work within the party.

BarryDonegan
10-04-2008, 08:42 PM
not anymore. you don't have to take over the GOP anymore. Hank Paulson kicked the Neocons out of the GOP.

guys who think like us are welcome now.

the GOP never loved socialism, the GOP just didn't realize it had become socialist. now that the bailout happened, it knows, in its heart, that it has a sickness.

the GOP was a sick old man who refused to go to the doctor.... but now his left arm doesn't work anymore and hes ready to seek help.

pennycat
10-04-2008, 08:42 PM
See my post at http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=161122

nate895
10-04-2008, 08:46 PM
We tried it but they got word of our plans. They will violate their own rules to stay in power if need be. While some of us did become officers, to say we've been treated well is a lie. We've been treated like dirt by the state party.

The best chance to take over the GOP in Kentucky is to simply vote out Mitch McConnell. He is the supreme leader of the Republican Party in this state. Without him the crooks would abandon the GOP like rats in a sinking ship leaving us to take it over.

However that is just Kentucky and no other state Republican Party has just one person with the power the McConnell wields.

Every state has its bosses, sometimes it's one person, other times it's a group. In my state we have a good ole boy network that prop each other up in their positions.

Matt Collins
10-04-2008, 09:06 PM
not anymore. you don't have to take over the GOP anymore. Hank Paulson kicked the Neocons out of the GOP.

guys who think like us are welcome now.

the GOP never loved socialism, the GOP just didn't realize it had become socialist. now that the bailout happened, it knows, in its heart, that it has a sickness.

the GOP was a sick old man who refused to go to the doctor.... but now his left arm doesn't work anymore and hes ready to seek help.

Interesting theory. Will you be at the GOP meeting on Monday night?

Theocrat
10-04-2008, 10:31 PM

It looks to me that you might be ripe for joining another political party. There are many third parties which are trying to gain membership and support to overcome the biased two-party system we have currently in electoral politics. I personally believe you should give deep consideration for joining the Constitution Party (http://www.constitutionparty.com/), especially if you wish to be part of a party that is not corrupt nor ignorant of its principles.

ladyjade3
10-04-2008, 10:40 PM
It's like Gresham's Law but with politics. The bad Republicans chase out the good. Don't let them win.

Matt Collins
10-04-2008, 10:51 PM
It's like Gresham's Law but with politics. The bad Republicans chase out the good. Don't let them win.Rachel, you're awesome!

tomveil
10-04-2008, 11:43 PM
I agree with you, but we have no choice. The (R) gives you 35%.

libertarian4321
10-04-2008, 11:48 PM
Yes, there is an extraordinary level of douchebaggery in the Republican Party, especially among those in power.

Don't quit, though- better to stay in and do nothing and force them to throw you out :)