PDA

View Full Version : Seriously - flood the halls of Congress with constitutions

Sematary
10-04-2008, 07:49 AM
I proposed this a few days ago but it didn't gain much traction. I'm not giving up, however. The new Congress will be sworn in in a few months and I want to flood their offices with copies of the constitution.
So what do I need?

I need a couple of philanthropists who would be willing to pay for many thousands of pocket constitutions. If those philanthropists can't be found then a chipin to collect the funds can be started.

I need volunteers who would take possession of enough copies to send one to every Senator and House member as well as the President of the United States.

The idea is to flood their offices with constitutions - the more the better. Thousands is the goal. Hundreds wouldn't be bad. Even a few dozen would be nice but would not make quite as much of a statement.

Recruit friends, family, acquaintances. Give them the money for the envelopes and postage (from the chipin) or from a philanthropist or two.

This needs to be coordinated so that we all send these out on the same day so that they receive all of them at approximately the same time. (mostly in a one or two day period).

A short not reminding them of their oath of office should be included.

Need a website - and a designer (for coordination efforts).
If you're interested - please contact me.

So who's with me?
PM me if interested in helping.

Gin
10-04-2008, 08:11 AM
Awesome idea Sematary... count me in.. I can't help with the funding part, but I can sure help with the mailing/delivery part

cheapseats
10-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Your heart and principles are in the true-right, not right-right, place. Not only would our Congressmen benefit from knowing our Constitution, the People would fare much better if we insisted on standardized entrance exams for holding office. I spy a new manual: Governance For Dummies.

Trouble is, Congress doesn't read.

In defense of Congress at the same time that I blame Congress, who can read thousands of pages of fine loophole-oriented print every day?

For theatricality...drama being Mainstream Media's drug of choice...as well as for hands-on benefit to thousands of beleaguered municipalitites, better to put the Homeless on Greyhound buses, with one-way tickets to Washington DC.

A marriage made in heaven, the Homeless don't read much either.

Give 'em placards anyway...think global stage.

FEED AND HOUSE THE PEOPLE
LET BANKERS EAT LAYER CAKE

adara7537
10-04-2008, 10:12 AM
I think they should be sent The Constitution and Bill of Rights for Idiot's. I just happened to see it yesterday and thought of all of them ;)

BagOfEyebrows
10-04-2008, 10:16 AM
they swear an oath to uphold state constitutions/state law in most states... with an allegiance to the USA, but representing state law/constitutions as well as constituents.

Giving elected officials state constitutions for their state might be a good addition to the federal one (and I'd recommend also giving them a printout copy of the preamble and first few articles of the first constitution ratified, the Massachusetts constitution, written by John Adams, as it best explains the role of government) -

Apologies for continueously bringing up state constitutions, but all of our responsibilities and protections are in those documents, not the federal one.

Ron Paul wanted rights to go back to the states... each state is supposed to be sovereign, and each state has (and is supposed to be) been set up socially different, in order to give citizens of the USA a good selection to choose from to find a state with a constitution that is aligned well with their creator (or lack of creator.)

Truth Warrior
10-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Congress has repeatedly, consistently and redundantly proven their ability to merely IGNORE the Constitution ........................... AND their solemn oaths of office. :p :rolleyes:

The "voters" seem not to mind .................... ENOUGH. ;)

Sematary
10-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Awesome idea Sematary... count me in.. I can't help with the funding part, but I can sure help with the mailing/delivery part

If need be, we can each find the funding (about $150 each) to get the necessary amount of constitutions. PM me. I'm hoping we can get some chipins though if this thing really gets going.
:-)

Sematary
10-04-2008, 06:22 PM
I'm seeing not too much momentum behind this idea at the moment but if you think BIG, you can see the impact of having THOUSANDS of copies of the constitution arrive in your mail all at once would have on someone.

billjarrett
10-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Does anyone here actually think they would get them, and care, and that it wouldn't be our money thrown in the recycle bin?

They didn't listen to MILLIONS of emails/calls/faxes last week, why would they care about thousands of constitutions?

BeFranklin
10-04-2008, 06:44 PM
Keep the pressure on them and make them sweat for the next month. A lot of them may be in close races.

BeFranklin
10-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Does anyone here actually think they would get them, and care, and that it wouldn't be our money thrown in the recycle bin?

They didn't listen to MILLIONS of emails/calls/faxes last week, why would they care about thousands of constitutions?

They figured that would be the end of it, and they wouldn't get any more calls.

Come Monday, call and ask them to repeal it.. Then call a few friends and family and put up vote them out of office signs. Then have all of them call and tell them that they are doing the same thing Tuesday. And do it. And Wed have all their friends call and say the same thing..

Never give up. They counted on that.

Jodi
10-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Congress has repeatedly, consistently and redundantly proven their ability to merely IGNORE the Constitution ........................... AND their solemn oaths of office. :p :rolleyes:

I have to disagree with this, all of our elected officials know they can blatantly do whatever they want. What are We The People going to do about it? If the voters don't seem to mind then where were all those calls against the bailout coming from? Can't vote them out as that is rigged. So what can we do?

Truth Warrior
10-05-2008, 02:06 AM
I have to disagree with this, all of our elected officials know they can blatantly do whatever they want. What are We The People going to do about it? If the voters don't seem to mind then where were all those calls against the bailout coming from? Can't vote them out as that is rigged. So what can we do? I don't know what you can do. I just quit voting for the bastards a long time ago. I merely and simply refuse to be a willing participant in the process of my own enslavement. ;)

Politics Is a Sociopathic Cult (http://www.lewrockwell.com/shaffer/shaffer96.html)
Butler Shaffer on the prognosis.

american.swan
10-05-2008, 05:37 AM

that's the reason we should be sign bombing not yakking on here.

"replace congress" vote out your incumbents

We can make a difference in many races potentially just by trying to get the incumbent out.

Truth Warrior
10-05-2008, 06:16 AM
that's the reason we should be sign bombing not yakking on here.

"replace congress" vote out your incumbents

We can make a difference in many races potentially just by trying to get the incumbent out.
Nope, FIRE THE CONGRESS and then do NOT replace them.

How many MORE laws do you think that we really NEED?

How will you EVER know when there are ENOUGH?

Sematary
10-05-2008, 07:26 AM
bump

fj45lvr
10-05-2008, 12:08 PM
They'll all be PUT in the GARBAGE CAN.

Do things that HURT the people where it actually disrupts their lives (thats the only way to get their attention).