PDA

View Full Version : What would the Senate be like if there were 1/3rd Libertarians?

anaconda
10-04-2008, 01:56 AM
What kind of deal-striking would we see in the Senate on various legislation if there were 33 Democrats, 33 Republicans, 33 Libertarians, and 1 independent?

Would the status quo Dems & Reps. gang up on the Libs. on most everything, winning routine 66 to 34 votes?

Under what circumstances would the Dems or Reps need to reach over to the third aisle to pass legislation?

hillbilly123069
10-04-2008, 02:21 AM
I would like to think of us all being Independents.

Pauls' Revere
10-04-2008, 04:04 AM
wouldn't a 66-34 vote essentially be a two party system again?

Mitt Romneys sideburns
10-04-2008, 05:45 AM
Why would the Reps and Dems team up?

AutoDas
10-04-2008, 06:26 AM
Why would the Reps and Dems team up?

Because they believe in the same things and will unite under a bipartisan faction to get laws passed when those damn Libertarians won't get anything done.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
10-04-2008, 12:11 PM
Political party doesnt really mean anything. They are just fund raising organizations.

anaconda
10-04-2008, 01:13 PM
Political party doesnt really mean anything. They are just fund raising organizations.

Exactly. But I think that was also AutoDas's point.

Kludge
10-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Under what circumstances would the Dems or Reps need to reach over to the third aisle to pass legislation?

Whenever the media works against them (D/Rs) and/or voters are aware.

Edit: That assumes Ls are ls

nate895
10-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Hopefully, you would see constant filibusters. The classic filibuster as well, where there are tag teams who hand each other off the floor in the wee hours of the morning when no one else is around, and the new guy then speaks for the whole day, reading and lecturing, not the modern filibuster where you simply never let debate end since you have 40 votes. The Senate might become interesting again.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
10-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I have always wanted to become a senator just so I can break the filibuster record.

heavenlyboy34
10-04-2008, 02:00 PM

+1

nate895
10-04-2008, 02:02 PM
I have always wanted to become a senator just so I can break the filibuster record.

If I become a Senator, that is number one on my list. The first big bill that comes up would see me speak for at least 25 hours (beating Strom Thurmond's 24 hours and 18 minutes). I guess I should come up with reading materials.

Freedom 4 all
10-04-2008, 04:05 PM
I think that could work. On bills relating to personal liberty (most of) the dems would vote with us and on issues of economic sanity (most of) the repubs would vote with us. Hence we'll win everything.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
10-04-2008, 06:58 PM
If I become a Senator, that is number one on my list. The first big bill that comes up would see me speak for at least 25 hours (beating Strom Thurmond's 24 hours and 18 minutes). I guess I should come up with reading materials.

I bet I could do it. Then once I broke the 25 hour mark, I would have my buddy ask me an 8 hour long question so I can get a little rest.

nate895
10-04-2008, 07:01 PM
I bet I could do it. Then once I broke the 25 hour mark, I would have my buddy ask me an 8 hour long question so I can get a little rest.

Good plan. Have any reading material ideas?

Mitt Romneys sideburns
10-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Good plan. Have any reading material ideas?

Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Then I would pull out scripts to the television show, "Battlestar Galactica", and give my commentary on the shows decline in quality following the Pegasus story arch.

nate895
10-04-2008, 07:10 PM
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Then I would pull out scripts to the television show, "Battlestar Galactica", and give my commentary on the shows decline in quality following the Pegasus story arch.

I can't wait for the conclusion of Battlestar Galactica this winter.

I would definitely go for many fiction novels, as well as topic-related ones. Phone book just to go with the spirit of beating Strom Thurmond. We should plan on getting elected to the Senate at the same time in order to have a competition.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
10-04-2008, 07:17 PM
I can't wait for the conclusion of Battlestar Galactica this winter.

I would definitely go for many fiction novels, as well as topic-related ones. Phone book just to go with the spirit of beating Strom Thurmond. We should plan on getting elected to the Senate at the same time in order to have a competition.

Do you agree with my proposition on BSG? Or will you spend your filibuster time rebutting my point?

nate895
10-04-2008, 07:22 PM
Do you agree with my proposition on BSG? Or will you spend your filibuster time rebutting my point?

Yes, but I still like the show and can't wait for a resolution. That is my main drive behind watching the show. I didn't like it at all until I watched an episode in late first season and I simply got hooked.

Mitt Romneys sideburns
10-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Yes, but I still like the show and can't wait for a resolution. That is my main drive behind watching the show. I didn't like it at all until I watched an episode in late first season and I simply got hooked.

I missed the first couple of episodes. I started watching when Flat-Top was killed in the explosion after his 100th landing. I had no idea what was going on, so I passed on it.

Then I saw the episode where Starbuck and Kat are chasing around Scar towards the end of season 2, and I was hooked.

I went back and bought all the DVDs, and have watched the first 3 seasons of DVDs at least 5 times.

orafi
10-04-2008, 07:40 PM
2/3rds retarded