PDA

View Full Version : The Congressman who switched his vote from "Yea" To "Nay"

qh4dotcom
10-03-2008, 09:48 PM
Jim McDermott (D-WA) was the lone representative to switch his vote from "Yea" to "Nay"

Should we forgive him?

amy31416
10-03-2008, 09:50 PM
I would.

Andrew Ryan
10-03-2008, 09:53 PM
NOO!! No Mercy!! ;)

kojirodensetsu
10-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Well it depends why he voted no. If he voted no cause he realized he was wrong then sure I can forgive him. But if he voted no because of all the addons to the bill then can't forgive him.

tomveil
10-03-2008, 10:13 PM
No, he switched because.....too many tax cuts.

Spider-Man
10-03-2008, 10:15 PM
This should have been a poll.

But I vote yes.

Carole
10-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Jim McDermott (D-WA) was the lone representative to switch his vote from "Yea" to "Nay"

Should we forgive him?
Well, it is likely he knew the bill was going to pass, so it was "safe" to switch his vote to please his constituency possibly. Clever. :)

Or perhaps he really had a change of heart, especially after the Senate added all those Christmas ornaments. :D

Magsec
10-03-2008, 11:23 PM
I don't think his reasoning would be sound, but I would like to be proven wrong and that a representative would know my motives well. Unfortunately, I doubt that's the case.

Spider-Man
10-03-2008, 11:30 PM
I say forgive him namely on the grounds that it sends a message to Congress. Just do what we ask, and nobody gets hurt.

Knightskye
10-03-2008, 11:37 PM
No. He voted for the straight bailout, but then against once tax cuts were added.

Dave39168
10-04-2008, 12:22 AM
I'd love to hear his resonse on why he switched. Maybe threats from the constituency?

TruckinMike
10-04-2008, 05:26 AM
If not forgive, at least reward. Yes, its time for another episode of positive re-enforcement . Lets all call and give the good senator a pat on the head, lets give him a little scooby snack.

http://coachdinga.com/images/200px-Scooby-Snacks-F.jpg
The worse that can come from it is that he'll believe that his constituents wanted the no vote. And thats worth something. -- Besides, if he is one of those senators that live off of their ego - this could have an even greater effect. Lets train him like a dog.:p

TMike

me3
10-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Love the vote, hate the voter. Or sumfin like that.

bubbleboy
10-04-2008, 06:12 AM
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! One vote yes is your funeral TRADER!!!!

Sarge
10-04-2008, 06:55 AM
Take a look as what Shadegg said in a local paper after the first vote,

"The U.S. House's sound rejection of the proposed $700 billion Wall Street bailout package on Monday should serve as a civics lesson to the Bush administration, said Rep. John Shadegg, R-Ariz., who helped lead conservation opposition to the measure."

Yes he really taught him a civics lesson.

Look what his yes vote is costing us if correct,

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10057618-38.html?tag=nl.e433

700B or more? IRS snooping? 1TRILLION or more?

FindLiberty
10-04-2008, 07:21 AM
Perhaps he didn't get the word up front that this game was fixed and they were only pretending to be against any type of hyper-inflation bailout. It will end up costing FAR FAR MORE than $700B - It's the path to total fiscal collapse.

At least he can now say, "Don't blame me, I voted to avoid this lingering $ hit."

Only reward the ones that held their NO vote. The others that went from NO to YES are the sly ones that should be voted out of office ASAP.

++++++++++++++++++++++

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with a result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by dictatorship [that will suck to the highest degree].

The average age of the world s greatest civilizations has been 200 years. These nations have progressed through the following sequence:

>From bondage to spiritual faith;
>From spiritual faith to great courage;
>From courage to liberty;
>From liberty to abundance;
>From abundance to selfishness;
>From selfishness to complacency;
>From complacency to apathy;
>From apathy to dependency;
>From dependency back into bondage.

Alexander Fraser Tyler (1748 - 1813)

Sarge
10-04-2008, 07:42 AM
He is assured of two votes against him from this house.

torchbearer
10-04-2008, 08:38 AM
today is our primary election day..
so a week ago alexander voted against the bill saying he wanted to protect the taxpayers...
the he voted for it, but there isn't much time to organize a vote against him.

surf
10-04-2008, 11:05 AM
i wrote this earlier, but i believe "Baghdad Jim" was quoted as saying that calls to his office "were 50-50; 50% no and 50% HELL NO."

i was surprised he voted "yes" initially after saying this. I'm going to recommend to my friends in his district (Seattle) that they vote for him - of course i'm not even sure who the neocon that's running against him is, and he's entrenched.