PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on New Zealand Bank pays 7.6% interest, on call savings account.

RonPaulVolunteer
10-03-2008, 06:33 PM
I am trying to find a way to open an account from here. I opened one when I was there last, and, and this is not typo, it pays 7.6% interest.

This is with the ASB, or Auckland Savings Bank.

You get a card, and you can withdraw from virtually any ATM in the WORLD.

Peter Schiff has been recommending New Zealand Dollars. Their economy is not terrific right now, but much better than ours.

I will report back when I find a way to open an account from the US.

itshappening
10-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Schiff suggests buying dividend paying foreign stocks i.e New Zealand miners, telco companies, power companies, etc. because they pay the dividend in the local currency which will, over the years, appreciate relative to the (declining) dollar

RonPaulVolunteer
10-03-2008, 06:39 PM
Schiff suggests buying dividend paying foreign stocks i.e New Zealand miners, telco companies, power companies, etc. because they pay the dividend in the local currency which will, over the years, appreciate relative to the (declining) dollar

Yep, exactly. And this account is paying a 7.6% dividend.

gb13
10-03-2008, 06:41 PM
Wow! Definitely let us know when you find out how to do it. I'm very interested to find out.

EvilEngineer
10-03-2008, 06:51 PM
I love New Zealand, it was beautiful when I went 2 years ago. I'd live there in a heart beat, especially on the south island... only 1 million people on the whole thing. My kind of population density. Only problem is that Rupert Murdoch has his hands down there as well.

The Good Doctor
10-03-2008, 07:40 PM
https://www.everbank.com/

Check this site out for foreign currency CD's etc.

RonPaulVolunteer
10-06-2008, 01:42 PM
OK, so this is what my bank says:

In regards to your friends opening a FastSaver account, you are welcome to apply for an account to be opened, however you will not be able to withdraw or transfer funds from the account until you have personally provided your identification at a branch for verification.

If your friends wish to be contacted by ASB Migrant who open and administer new accounts for our overseas potential customers, please have your friends send there own account opening request email, and we will be happy to arrange for Migrant to contact them.

You would send an email to: ASB HelpDesk helpdesk@asb.co.nz

Or send an email through their website, http://asb.co.nz/

qh4dotcom
10-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Is New Zealand dollar a fiat currency?

RonPaulVolunteer
10-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Is New Zealand dollar a fiat currency?

Yep, but they do have a good economy.

Highland
10-06-2008, 03:19 PM
I heard that you would not be allowed to immigrate to NZ if you were retired because they thought you would be a drag on the economy.....looks like they were protecting their interests.

RonPaulVolunteer
10-06-2008, 03:26 PM
I heard that you would not be allowed to immigrate to NZ if you were retired because they thought you would be a drag on the economy.....looks like they were protecting their interests.

NZ is one of the very hardest nations to get into. They are strict beyond strict. Best way is to register at a university there, marry a Kiwi and then apply for residency. Unlike the US, marrying a kiwi does NOT guarantee you residency, but it does dramatically improve your chances.

raiha
10-06-2008, 05:47 PM
I might marry someone if it gets really bad over there. For no other reason but to help someone out. It is one thing I could do that may help. I wish i could marry a number of you but most of you would be too young.
I am serious but if you are bellicose and collectivist and xenophobic, we wouldn't want you in our country anyway thank you very much.
Bear it in mind. What i would look at would be how big your family would be and how many we could save. The bigger the family the more inclined i would be to marry you.
You have to be in your fifties. Sociopaths need not apply.

ForrestLayne
10-06-2008, 06:04 PM
I am trying to find a way to open an account from here. I opened one when I was there last, and, and this is not typo, it pays 7.6% interest.

Peter Schiff has been recommending New Zealand Dollars. Their economy is not terrific right now, but much better than ours.

I remember the internet pop-ups going crazy with an ad from WaMu offering 4% CD's and savings.....for about a week before they disappeared.

Sometimes, institutions offer really high interest in an effort to get capital because they are in trouble.

I know nothing of USB - just something I noticed - I'm always cautions on "too good" deal.

TheEvilDetector
10-06-2008, 06:11 PM

Check this out http://ingdirect.com.au/savings/savings_products/savings_maximiser.htm

8%