PDA

View Full Version : Traitor File: Congressman Peter Welch (VT)

hillertexas
10-03-2008, 02:38 PM
The full list of traitors can be found here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=160763

Congressman Peter Welch (VT)
http://media.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/politics/congress/members/photos/228/W000800.jpg
http://www.welch.house.gov/

challenger: Thomas Hermann http://www.votepeacevt.com/images/thomas_hermann_2.jpg
Thomas James Hermann For Congress
38 Long Street Unit 3
Barre, VT 05641
(802)461-4433

He is up for reelection, has no Republican challenger.

There is a progressive running against him, but has no money. I have a good feeling about this guy. His name is Thomas Hermann, (http://www.votepeacevt.com/home.shtml) and even though he's pro-choice and for a progressive tax system, buys into global warming, wants state healthcare... He's got a lot of good things going for him and I am willing to bite the bullet and do what I can to get him into office.

I've talked to him about the bailout, he's very much against it for all the right reasons but said he was willing to make some concessions when I talked to him before the house voted. We talked for about 45 mins and I made it clear that I was against it COMPLETELY. I talked to him again today and he seems even more against it now than he was then.

Here's his platform:

1. Peace and Justice
Iraq and Afghan Wars

* Bring all the troops home now and take good care of them when they get home
* Vote against funding for the wars; funding only to bring them home
* Encourage GI’s to take action to end the war: encourage active duty soldiers and Iraq and Afghanistan veterans to join IVAW, to sign on to the Appeal for Redress, and use their rights under US law to speak out, demonstrate, and organize against this illegal, immoral and unjust war.

Torture and Detention

* Stop torture now; prosecute the torturers and those who ordered or facilitated mistreatment of prisoners
* No detention without speedy trial in a US court
* No suspension of Habeas Corpus

Hold Bush and Cheney Accountable

* Prosecute Bush and Cheney and Rumsfeld for violating the US Torture Statute and the Convention against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman or Degrading Treatment or Punishment
* To Bush and Cheney’s violations of the constitution, the Democratic Party leadership in Congress added their own violation: instead of defending the constitution they put an important part of the US constitution–the impeachment provisions--off the table. (Impeachment is mentioned 6 times in 5 different sections of the constitution).
* Hold Bush accountable for failing his duty under the constitution to "take care that the laws be faithfully executed" by issuing signing statements that claim the authority to disobey laws. And by taking action in violation of these laws, including the US law making torture a crime, laws regarding Congressional oversight that require providing information to Congress, laws regarding domestic spying, laws regarding civil liberties, and laws strengthening whistle blower protection.

2. Health Care

* ALL AMERICANS in one publicly funded single payer health plan (www.pnhp.org/facts/singlepayer_faq.php)
o No premiums, no co-pays, no deductibles, no not insured, no pre-existing condition.
o Insurance companies out.
* With less money than we are now paying for health care, all Vermonters and all Americans can be covered with high quality health care by expanding our existing Medicare and VA system to cover everyone.

3. Energy and Climate Change

Why Alternative Energy

* Stop subsidies for oil, nuclear, and coal
* Support rapid increase in energy efficiency in homes, offices, factories, and appliances to reduce energy consumption and reduce global warming
* Support rapid growth in wind, solar, hydro, geothermal, and wood–clean energy providing jobs, security, a clean environment, and better health
* Progressively mandate high gas mileage automobiles to strengthen the US car industry and fuel efficiency
* Support rapid expansion of rail and bus transportation, including high speed rail
(www.fra.dot.gov/us/content/200)
* Capture toxic metals and sequester carbon dioxide at coal plants
* Implement a carbon tax and use the funds for more rapidly implementing energy efficiency, wind, solar, and biomass, etc.
(www.carbontax.org/)
* Close Vermont Yankee and all other nuclear power plants and make the energy companies pay for cleaning up the sites and storing spent fuel

4. Stop Corporate Crime and Start Supporting Working People

* Indict and convict corporate criminals who are stealing trillions of dollars from workers, retirees, investors, and consumers.
* Make corporations and executives pay back all money wrongfully taken
* Democratize corporate governance
* 100% tax on excess executive compensation. Any pay 15 times more than lowest paid worker is excessive. In order for executives to get paid more they must raise pay overall. Example: If lowest paid worker gets $30,000 a year then maximum executive pay is $450,000 a year, any amount over would be taxed at 100%.
* Require full disclosure of all executive compensation including stock options and other bonuses.
* Make organizing a union easier–repeal Taft-Hartley and support the card check bill that provides union certification if a majority sign cards requesting it
* Repeal NAFTA and other trade agreements that send good jobs to other countries and exploit workers
* Adopt a livable wage of $10 an hour, adjusting for inflation
* Close loopholes in the tax system for the super rich and lower taxes on middle class and working people by using a progressive tier tax
* Enforce IRS tax code on corporations; tax evasion costs the average citizen $1600 annually, conservatively, according to testimony from former IRS commissioner Charles O. Rossotti
(query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D03E6D7123EF936A35752C1A9649C8B 63)

5. Agriculture

* Mandatory Genetically Modified Organism (GMO) Labeling on all food products

* Protect Bio-Diversity and Food Supplies by banning Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO's)
(http://www.seedsofdeception.com/Public/AboutGeneticallyModifiedFoods/index.cfm)
* Provide federal grants and low cost loans to small to mid-size farms that are an integral part of the community
* End subsidies for Big Corporate Agri-business (i.e. Monsanto) and food for fuel crops that can control global food prices and create hunger.
* Tax breaks to organic farming and other green sustainable farming practices.
* Expand local food and agriculture labeling systems
* Enforce Fair Trade, tariffs on violations
(http://www.fairtradefederation.org/ht/display/Faqs/faqcat_id/1736)
* Legalize Industrial Hemp (votehemp.com/general_faqs.html#VoteHemp)

6. Civil Rights

* Women have the right to choose when it comes to decisions involving their body. Thomas Hermann supports that right. In addition, he supports comprehensive sexual education and access to birth control.
* Lesbian, gay, bi-sexual, and transgendered (LGBT) people are citizens entitled to the same rights others have, including marriage.
* End discrimination against gays in the military. End the "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy and replace it with equal rights.
* End spying on Americans without a warrant, a violation of the United States Constitution.
(www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am4)

7.Elections and Civic Duty

* Implement a majority rule voting system such as instant runoff voting and proportional representation so more candidates can participate without risk of being a “spoiler.” The minority rule voting system we have narrows the choices. Providing a majority rule voting system opens the way for more candidates and more choices.
* End the Influence of money in elections which gives power to the corporations, the rich and super rich and that prevents ordinary citizens from their rightful access to power
* Enable Fair Election Now Act (www.cleanupwashington.org/fairelections/)
* End corporate contributions to candidates, PACs, 527s, and political parties
* End corporate participation in conventions and lobbying. Corporations are not people and they have no business participating in elections or in government.
* Require paper ballots and auditing of all elections
* No exclusion from debates of candidates who are on the ballot. Let the American people hear diverse views.
* Implement National Initiative for Democracy allowing citizens to make laws. Develops civic maturity and allows citizens to take ownership of our democracy (ni4d.us/parrishreport.htm)

8.Military Affairs
Recruitment/Contract Reform

* Eliminate predatory recruiting practices.
* Stop-Loss and the Inactive Ready Reserve (IRR) are both back door draft policies that are deceitfully vague and misleading to enlistees.
* Recruiters use the fear of being activated in the IRR to coerce re-enlistment of personnel into the National Guard and Reserves
* Policies should be clear, concise, and readily available to service members.
* End Military Obligation Service Clauses and Stop-Loss Policies
* Military contracts should be simple and reflect the principles of a true volunteer military Force.

Military Health Care for Life

* In addition to injuries from combat and non-combat events, our veterans were subjected to harmful environmental factors including but not limited to: Agent Orange, depleted uranium, foreign pathogens, military fuel, Anthrax vaccines, immunization cocktail vaccinations, and other harmful chemicals. Other dangers veterans face include undiagnosed traumatic brain injuries and post traumatic stress disorders (PTSD).
* Because symptoms of these environmental factors can take years to materialize, all Veterans should receive immediate comprehensive Health Care treatment/diagnosis with no deductibles, fees, co-pays, or other out of pocket expenses for life (until a publicly funded health-care system can be adopted for all Americans).

Speaking Out

* Active duty GIs and veterans have the right to speak out, join organizations, publish newspapers and blogs, and participate in civic affairs, such as rallies and demonstrations against the war. One example of effective speaking out is the Appeal for Redress http://www.appealforredress.org/ under which more than 2000 active duty GIs have publicly appealed to their Senators and Congressmen to say:

As a patriotic American proud to serve the nation in uniform, I respectfully urge my political leaders in Congress to support the prompt withdrawal of all American military forces and bases from Iraq. Staying in Iraq will not work and is not worth the price. It is time for U.S. troops to come home.

9. The Other War

* The So-Called “War on Drugs” has failed and has only filled our jails with non-violent offenders and cost tax payers $40 Billion a year and climbing (http://www.drugpolicy.org/library/factsheets/economiccons/fact_economic.cfm)
* Lessons learned in the Prohibition not realized: Criminalizing a substance only creates a subculture of crime.
* Decriminalize, tax, and regulate marijuana like alcohol and tobacco.
* Treat “Hard” drugs as a health issue not a legal one.
* Education, Treatment, Parental Vigilance will make a responsible moderate society.

10. The Second Amendment

* "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." Along with the six mentions of impeachment in five different sections of the constitution, the second amendment was designed to secure a free country in the face of potentially corrupt and malicious government officials. The second amendment provides citizens with the right to bear arms to defend our constitutional form of government from government officials who may choose to take power from the people and concentrate power in their own hands, rejecting civil liberties, our constitutional form of government, and the rule of law. The framers included the second amendment to provide a remedy if first amendment rights to freedom of speech, freedom of the press, the rights of the people peaceably to assemble and to petition the government are not respected. Thomas Herman supports the constitution, including the second amendment.
* Reform background checks to preserve privacy and keep violent criminals from obtaining firearms
* Improve firearms safety training critical to safeguarding against tragic incidents.
Thomas Hermann has personal experience with weapons.

While serving in the US Army, he received his Rifle Qualification Expert Badge with his M4.

hillertexas
10-03-2008, 03:58 PM
http://www.votepeacevt.com/reasons.shtml

Reasons Not to Vote Peter Welch

*Talking peace--but voting to fund the war and voting for slick procedures that enabled funding to pass: HR 2206 (May 10, 2007), H. Res. 387 (May 25, 2007), H. Res. 1284 (June 19, 2008)
*Representing Nancy Pelosi instead of representing Vermont in Congress
*Refusing to acknowledge that anything Bush and Cheney did that was illegal or contrary to our constitutional system.
*Supporting the Democratic Party leadership in Congress that funded the illegal war, accepted torture, and the spying on Americans.
*Opposing impeachment of Bush and Cheney, regardless of demands by Vermonters
*Vermonters voted overwhelmingly in 37 town meetings across Vermont for impeachment investigation
*The Vermont Senate voted for impeachment investigation
*WCAX conducted a scientific poll last October that showed that 2/3 of Vermonters supported impeachment of Bush and Cheney.
*Offering the same prelude to war with Iran that was given for Iraq: HR 1585 (May 16, 2007)

LittleLightShining
10-04-2008, 06:49 AM
My letter to Peter Welch. Suggestions for tweaks appreciated as I haven't sent it yet.

Dear Representative Welch,

It is with a heavy heart that I write this letter to you. I'm still in a state of shock over the absolutely horrible decision you made in changing your vote from a no to a yes on the bailout bill.

On September 29 you said, "The economic crisis we face is real. However, I voted against the bailout because it isn't paid for and because I don't believe it will work.”

On October 3 you said, "I will, however, vote for the new bill before the House today for three significant reasons…
"And, on Tuesday, I spoke at length with Senator Obama. He shares the reservations I have about this legislation. He assured me that, as president, he will improve this bill in two essential ways. He is committed to assisting struggling homeowners with bankruptcy protections, and establishing a "recoupment" fund so the financial services industry, not taxpayers, will ultimately foot the bill for this rescue.”

I don’t see anywhere in your reason to vote for this monstrosity and crime against the American people a way to pay for it. That was the reason you gave for voting no the first time. The first reason was a change in SEC accounting rules Did it take $857 billion to change those rules? And if, as you said, it would cost the taxpayers less why is it costing us more? And please, how ARE we going to pay for it? Will we borrow the money or will the FED print up more?

The FDIC provision you cited is acceptable. I have no qualms with that as we will need a $250,000 ceiling when all those dollars the FED keeps printing make it into the hands of the American people. Too bad they won’t be worth today’s $1 when we get them.

The quoted paragraph is where I really have a lot of trouble, Mr. Welch. You spoke with Senator Obama, a candidate for president, not the president-elect and he assured you that he will improve the bill in 2 important ways when he is president? Why didn’t he improve the bill in 2 important ways in the Senate??? You assume he will win, and unless you have some insider information that you inadvertently leaked, the election has not happened yet and the American people have not voted yet, therefore we do not know who will be the President.

*Sigh*

Then you said this, “Passing this plan, imperfect as it may be, protects taxpayers and gives us our best chance at stabilizing the economy and protecting the jobs, savings, and retirement accounts of hard working Vermonters. Those were my goals. That is my responsibility. And that is why I vote yes on this revised bill.
"This is a bitter pill to swallow, especially for thrifty and responsible Vermonters. It is my judgment, however, that a failure to act would further aggravate economic instability for working Vermonters and businesses.”

Mr. Welch, I fear you have not listened to your constituents and instead decided to jump on your party bandwagon. Your responsibility is to be the Representative of the People in Vermont in Congress. You did not represent us you acted according to your own judgment and you made us captive to promises that may or may not be kept.

You bet this is a bitter pill to swallow. And you may be right that failure to act would further aggravate economic instability however you voted for a bill that will only exacerbate the problems. You said that we don’t have the money to pay for the first bill. I can safely assert that we do not have the money to pay for this even more expensive bill. And I’m going to venture to guess that this won’t be the last of the rescue plans we are going to be asked to shoulder.

When our dollar is useless, we are hungry and cold what else will we have to give to those who only take? What will be done to help us when we need it? This bill wasn’t for the American people. This bill was for international bankers and gamblers in the world of finance. Everyone knows this. While we struggle to heat our homes, pay our rents or mortgages and feed our children these people we had to save to save the American people will be enjoying their new islands in Dubai.

"Our economic problems will not be solved with this new law. There is no quick-fix. The path to a more prosperous future will take a return to the core values Vermonters know: Our economic policies must support our middle class. We can't spend and borrow beyond our means. And we must reward work and entrepreneurship, not speculation and market manipulation.
"By returning to common sense values that have been the foundation of our nation, we can help all Vermonters and all Americans prosper. That is the hard work that lies ahead."

This last part is so ironic I don’t even know where to start. The doublespeak is so clever some people may not get it. “Our economic problems will not be solved with this new law.” Then why did you vote for it? “We can’t spend and borrow beyond our means.” Again, why did you vote to do just that? “We must reward work and entrepreneurship, not speculation and market manipulation.” Please, Mr. Welch, then why did you vote to for this bill?

Vermonters aren’t feeling the effects of this mortgage crisis as painfully as other parts of the country because we do have common sense. What happened to yours?
Sincerely,

LittleLightShining
10-04-2008, 07:00 AM
bump-- help me out please?

LittleLightShining
10-10-2008, 05:54 AM
I have been talking to everyone I can about voting for Thomas Hermann. My conversation was mainly limited to my Libertarian leaning friends but I am starting to present the idea to my Republican friends also. I was able to mention his name on a popular morning talk show here that is listened to by anyone remotely interested in current events, Vermont issues or politics. The host said he was remiss in not having asked Thomas Hermann to be a guest on the show.

As far as Welch is concerned, I posted this here (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1753084&postcount=8):

I received a "response" from my Congressman about the bailout. I called his office every day for 2 weeks leading up to and after the bailout. He issued a statement after he voted yes on the Senate version to which I replied with the open letter I shared a couple posts back. His "response" was the same bs statement I was replying to! Which of course really irritated me. :mad:

So yesterday I called his office and naturally gave them a piece of my mind. I asked when he was going to be back in Vermont and the informed me he was here already. So I called his Burlington office and asked to schedule an appointment with him. I was given the email address of his scheduler, so I sent an email requesting an appointment or personal telephone call.

I don't really know what I'll do if I do get an appointment but I'm sure going to politely give him a piece of my mind. Maybe I'll get a list of signatures of people who did not support the bailout in my state to present to him? Any ideas?

JosephTheLibertarian
10-10-2008, 05:58 AM
ew. I'd never vote for a god damn commie.

LittleLightShining
10-10-2008, 06:12 AM
ew. I'd never vote for a god damn commie.At this point I really don't care. I've talked to this guy and he is more in line with my views than Peter Welch is. These are the choices we have. Peter Welch has proven to be untrustworthy. Thomas Hermann has yet to prove himself but he is not made of the same cloth most politicians are. This is good enough for me right now.

Ron Paul Vermont
10-10-2008, 07:27 PM
I was majorly disappointed in Peter Welch for voting for the bailout the second time. I sent him an email and this is what I got for a response.

As much as I would like to see Peter Welch replaced what that other guy supports is disgusting. I guess I am between a rock and a hard place as far as choosing.

October 9, 2008

Dear Mr. Bassette,

Thank you for contacting me with your concerns about the current financial crisis. I appreciate hearing from you.

I have heard from thousands of Vermonters deeply troubled by the state of the economy and the circumstances that created this crisis. Vermonters of all ages are fearful for their savings, their retirement accounts, and their jobs. And Vermont businesses and institutions are deeply concerned about their access to credit.

This crisis was fueled by reckless lending and borrowing engineered by Wall Street and imprudent individuals living beyond their means. Vermonters are rightly furious about being asked to pay for a problem they did not cause. While we have one of the lowest rates of home foreclosures in the country, the ripple effect of the credit crunch is being felt on the Main Streets, the Maple Streets and the dirt roads of Vermont.

Treasury Secretary Paulson asked Congress for a $700 billion blank check to use as he saw fit, with no congressional oversight, to respond to the crisis. As his flawed proposal was debated in Congress, I worked hard to improve it with two goals in mind: protecting the taxpayer, and protecting the jobs, savings and retirement accounts of Vermonters.

Some of what I and others fought for we achieved in the House bill: aggressive congressional oversight, a crack down on rip-off executive pay and golden parachutes, and protection for the taxpayer by securing equity in rescued companies. In spite of these improvements, I voted against the bill on September 29, 2008 because it did not adequately address my concern that the cost of this program ultimately be borne by the financial industry, not the taxpayer.

On October 3, 2008, I supported the Senate's improved version of the failed House bill for three reasons. First, it raised the ceiling on federal insurance for bank deposits from $100,000 to $250,000. This provision will provide much needed additional security to consumers and small businesses worried about the stability of their financial institutions.

In addition, on October 1, 2008, the Securities and Exchange Commission, acting on a request by me and several colleagues, revised misguided accounting rules that are putting unnecessary pressure on lending institutions and leading to further instability in the financial industry. This is a positive and much needed step forward that will reduce the price tag of the bailout by minimizing the number of institutions needing taxpayer assistance.

Finally, on September 30, 2008, I spoke at length with Senator Obama about the revised bill. He assured me that, as president, he will improve it in two essential ways. He is committed to assisting struggling homeowners with bankruptcy protections and establishing a "recoupment fund" so that the financial services industry, not taxpayers, will ultimately pay for the bailout.

My choice was between voting for a flawed but necessary bill, or having no bill at all and risking economic catastrophe. I voted for the improved bill because I was convinced that a failure to act would have caused even more economic instability for working Vermonters and businesses.

Restoring our economy will take more than passing this new law. There is no quick fix. The path to a more prosperous future will take a return to the core values Vermonters know: Our economic policies must support the middle class. We can't spend and borrow beyond our means. And we must reward work and entrepreneurship, not speculation and market manipulation. Be assured that I will be guided by these values as Congress considers additional measures to stabilize our economy.

Please continue to be in touch, and I hope to see you soon in Vermont.

Sincerely,

PETER WELCH

Member of Congress

LittleLightShining
10-11-2008, 06:00 AM
I made the paper: http://caledonianrecord.com/main.asp?SectionID=3&SubSectionID=19&ArticleID=42023&TM=29464.4

LittleLightShining
10-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Hear Peter Welch defend himself: http://www.vpr.net/flash/audio_player/audio_player.php?id=26355

The show opens with a statement by Thomas Hermann. I always get nervous when I call the radio because I know they're going to cut me off-- especially when I have more than one question or issue I want to address. Which actually ended up working out because later that afternoon he called me. So I guess my request made it through his scheduler :)

We talked for about 25 minutes. I reiterated all the points I had made in my phone conversations with his aides prior to and following his votes. I wish I could have recorded the call because he basically agreed with everything I said but still defended his vote. His main justification was that he had spoken with a number of business owners in Vermont who had told him that they needed something to unfreeze the credit. It seems he was most swayed by car dealership owners. I still find this troubling because he said in his statement that we can't borrow and spend but in realty what he's doing is propping up business that rely on borrowing and spending to make their money. I don't mean businesses borrowing money for payroll and supplies but rather that car dealerships depend on people borrowing money to buy their product. So who can't borrow and spend? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

I also told him that I was extremely concerned that since there is no provision for funding that we will likely pay for it how Washington pays for everything-- by becoming increasingly dependent on foreign lenders or by the FED printing money, inflating the money supply and charging the govt interest to do this. I told him that I feel that inflation is taxation without representation and I am worried that my dollar won't afford me the same purchasing power it does now in a few months. He pointed out that the dollar is stronger now. I told him that I don't believe that will last and what's going to happen to Vermonters when they can't afford fuel and food this winter. I told him that we need to do something about the FED having so much control over our money and that I don't believe they are acting in our best interest.

He kept agreeing with me but maintained that he acted in his best judgment. I told him that his vote wouldn't have changed the outcome either way but it would have gone a long way in establishing a feeling of trust. He said himself that Vermonters weren't to blame for the crisis, that compared to other states we have been responsible.I expressed my disappointment that he would put this on us knowing that. I told him that I still feel that this bill was the wrong thing to do, that they could have worked harder to make it better and he should have pushed for a better bill.

He thanked me for being so informed, complimented me on being articulate and encouraging me to stay in contact with him. Which I plan to do. I'm going to press him on HR 2755 .

The damage is done. He can make platitudes all he wants but I'm not voting for him.