PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready to close ranks behind a single 3rd party candidate yet?

IHaveaDream
10-03-2008, 01:15 PM
For weeks now I've been hoping that we could come together again like we used to be and rally behind a single 3rd party candidate. We need to let those guys in Washington know that we're not simply going to roll over for them. I realize we can't win this election, but that doesn't mean that we can't use a third party candidate to rain on their parade. Let's quit fighting about who it will be and just do it!

Sematary
10-03-2008, 01:17 PM
For weeks now I've been hoping that we could come together again like we used to be and rally behind a single 3rd party candidate. We need to let those guys in Washington know that we're not simply going to roll over for them. I realize we can't win this election, but that doesn't mean that we can't use a third party candidate to rain on their parade. Let's quit fighting about who it will be and just do it!

There is only one 3rd party candidate on the ballot in Ct. so I'll vote for him - Bob Barr.

RockEnds
10-03-2008, 01:19 PM
No

NoOutlet
10-03-2008, 01:20 PM
There is only one 3rd party candidate on the ballot in Ct. so I'll vote for him - Bob Barr.

Nader is on the Ct. ballot too. Also, it's his home state...
This isn't to say you should vote Nader instead of Barr necessarily. I'm just saying Barr isn't the only one. I'm not sure about the other candidates.

Truth Warrior
10-03-2008, 01:20 PM
No, I'd prefer to do something sane! ;)

jkr
10-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Chuck

gls
10-03-2008, 01:25 PM

Actually as of now he isn't on the CT ballot but they are in court trying to make it happen.

See: http://www.ballot-access.org/2008/10/02/libertarians-file-connecticut-ballot-access-lawsuit/

As of now Nader is the only alternative candidate on the ballot.

Regardless, I really don't see how a third party getting even 10% would "rain on their parade" since they play for the same team and don't really care which of the identical clones they put up wins.

NoOutlet
10-03-2008, 01:28 PM
I was wondering about Michigan when I heard McCain conceded it.

In the mainstream media, he obviously conceded it to Obama, but what does it mean for 3rd party candidates?
Could it mean that people shouldn't worry about spoiling the election there and that therefore they'll be more inclined to vote third party? I think it's something worth trying to sell to the people of Michigan.

georgia_tech_swagger
10-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Not if that candidate scares the bejesus out of me socially. (e.g. - Chuck Baldwin).

There are two subgroups in the Ron Paul R[evol]ution I don't particularly care for:

1) Truthers
2) People with social values that belong in the 1800's. (Gays are going to burn in hell. All forms of abortion in all cases is murder. Life begins at the exact moment of conception. The US is a Christian Nation. Etc.) Chuckie is firmly in this category.

kahless
10-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Official candidate list here in NY.

DEM BARACK OBAMA
REP JOHN McCAIN
IND JOHN McCAIN
CON JOHN McCAIN
WOR BARACK OBAMA
SWP ROGER CALERO
PSL GLORIA La RIVA
GRN CYNTHIA McKINNEY
LBT BOB BARR
PLT RALPH NADER

How the hell did Chuck Baldwin not make the list and John McCain gets the Constitution Party slot?

wtf - Cynthia McKinney, Roger Calero, Gloria LaRiva make the list and Chuck we have to write in?

Since the Libertarian Party seems to be on more ballots and not necessary to write in I think Bob Barr might be the best bet to close ranks behind.

Flash
10-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Instead of uniting behind a 3rd party candidate we should rally behind BJ Lawson and Conley. 3rd Party presidential candidats will never be allowed into the debates unless they are a Ross Perot.

RockEnds
10-03-2008, 02:10 PM
I prefer to blindly await further instruction from my cult leader.

I can only speak for myself here, but I've grown weary of Ron Paul's passive approach to leadership. He warns of dire consequences if our nation doesn't soon change its policies. He speaks about the impending economic nightmare that will bankrupt our monetary system. He speaks of a dark future for us and our children if major changes don't soon occur at the federal level. He can do little or nothing to help this cause as one lone voice in the Congress. In fact, he'll probably be castrated even further once the voting is over. As the GOP positions itself for retribution, he simply responds with sheepish grins and reassures them that he will remain a Republican. Yet, when given a chance to create a new party, or even formally endorse a third party, he turns it down. Ron Paul has the power to at least help us make a powerful statement in this election, but he seems to be content to merely enjoy his moment of fame while his loyal cult gleefully defends his every word and deed.

An awful lot of people sacrificed an awful lot of things because they believed that Ron Paul was committed to the same effort that he was encouraging us to commit to. If he's leading by example, this "revolution" has become a joke. And the joke's on us.
(emphasis added)

IHaveaDream
10-03-2008, 02:24 PM
I prefer to blindly await further instruction from my cult leader.

(emphasis added)

Thank you for making my point. Enjoy your wait.

IHaveaDream
10-03-2008, 02:31 PM
I was wondering about Michigan when I heard McCain conceded it.

In the mainstream media, he obviously conceded it to Obama, but what does it mean for 3rd party candidates?
Could it mean that people shouldn't worry about spoiling the election there and that therefore they'll be more inclined to vote third party? I think it's something worth trying to sell to the people of Michigan.

This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. A third party candidate doesn't have to win an election to make a difference in the election. Imagine if our support led a third party candidate to win just a couple of states...or even one key state. Those electoral votes would be in jeopardy for the front runners and might dictate the outcome. That would create a lot of buzz for the third party movement.

RockEnds
10-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Thank you for making my point. Enjoy your wait.

:rolleyes:

NoOutlet
10-03-2008, 02:44 PM
This is a perfect example of what I'm talking about. A third party candidate doesn't have to win an election to make a difference in the election. Imagine if our support led a third party candidate to win just a couple of states...or even one key state. Those electoral votes would be in jeopardy for the front runners and might dictate the outcome. That would create a lot of buzz for the third party movement.

Yeah, exactly. Most people aren't even hearing about third party candidates. If electoral votes went to one of them, they wouldn't be able to keep from hearing about them. Everyone would see hundreds of graphics of all the states with just one Yellow or Green or Purple or whatever color state amidst all the rest of the states being Blue or Red.
I wasn't hopeful exactly, but I was kind of giddy at the idea that Barr might win the lawsuit to get Obama and McCain off the ballot in Texas. That would have been the best.
That's the kind of thing that will get lots of people asking "Why weren't they in the debates? Why haven't I ever even heard of these people?"

fj45lvr
10-03-2008, 02:47 PM
vote for the man Paul is endorsing (I trust his judgement)

sirachman
10-03-2008, 02:47 PM
At least i can say that the first presidential election I participated in included someone I could actually vote FOR in the primaries. However I am still afraid to say that I can't see a single person running that I can vote for at this point. Everyone is the same. I am pretty much at the point that I simply will not vote for either 'major' party cantidate, actually I am there. However I am still trying to figure out who then is worth my vote, or if I should instead vote to try and prevent one or another cantidate from winning. There really is no decision I can make in good conscience. While I am deeply saddened by this on the eve of the first time I will get to vote, I am also continually being inspired to further and further involve myself with politics. Which in the end will likely be of much greater benefit to creating the movement I desire politically than simply voting would have in the first place, nomatter who they be.

I may very well end up voting for a third party simply in the effort of raising their profile for future elections. Because afterall nomatter which cantidate I would be voting for now and however unlikely they are to win, raising the overall percentage of people that vote third party will influence continued rise in future elections which will have the eventual effect of providing Americans with more than 2 reasonably chanced cantidates to choose from.