PDA

View Full Version : Faux moderator: Take Marching Orders From Al-Qaeda?

dircha
09-05-2007, 11:26 PM
The Faux News moderator interrupted Ron Paul's response to say, "So we should take our marching orders from Al-Qaeda? If they want us to leave we should leave?"

This was the must unprofessional, infuriating comment of the night for me. Of the election.

More frustrating was Ron Paul's inability to articulate a solid response to it amidst the booing and the chuckling, apparently by the moderators themselves. I'm sure Hannity will give the moderator a high-five back in the studio for that one.

He may as well have asked, "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

I mean, come on. It's just shameful. Truly shameful. This nation will get exactly the president they deserve. I want out of it.

jblosser
09-05-2007, 11:34 PM
Inability to articulate a solid response? What is inarticulate about "NO"?

I'm wondering if I watched the same debate some of you people did. Ron was supremely confident, on fire, and did not give one single inch. No one else was anywhere near his caliber tonight. At the after interview with Hannity he was completely relaxed and in his element, to the point he nearly laughed Hannity off the stage.

Giuliani was there on 911
09-05-2007, 11:35 PM
I forgot what they said exactly but they did something very similar to him in the first Faux debates. Oh yeah it was "are you saying American invited the 9/11 attacks "

09-05-2007, 11:35 PM
Mike Wallace is just upset because he's a complete failure compared to his dad

BuddyRey
09-05-2007, 11:36 PM
I too was stressing out during this exchange and at first feared that it may have dealt a death blow to RP, but I soon realized that, through his confident, well-reasoned and emphatic rsponse, RP not only salvaged his name, but made great strides in setting himself apart from the pack. My spirits were lifted tenfold at the soundbite-worthy "we take our marching orders from the Constitution!!!"

CJLauderdale4
09-05-2007, 11:36 PM
This just in:

"FoxNews' Chris Wallace equates following Constitution to following terrorists"

jmunjr
09-05-2007, 11:37 PM
Mike Wallace is just upset because he's a complete failure compared to his dad

ouch

Ron Paul Fan
09-05-2007, 11:37 PM
I liked his aggressive response. "NO! I'm saying we should take our marching orders from our Constitution!" It got a lot of applause and I agree that the question was unprofessional. Dr. Paul did a good job responding to that BS.

jmunjr
09-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Paul's response of, "we take our marching orders from the Constitution" was pretty damn good, and even though Paul didn't wait for applause, it came anyway, and in a big way.

The Faux News moderator interrupted Ron Paul's response to say, "So we should take our marching orders from Al-Qaeda? If they want us to leave we should leave?"

This was the must unprofessional, infuriating comment of the night for me. Of the election.

More frustrating was Ron Paul's inability to articulate a solid response to it amidst the booing and the chuckling, apparently by the moderators themselves. I'm sure Hannity will give the moderator a high-five back in the studio for that one.

I mean, come on. It's just shameful. Truly shameful. This nation will get exactly the president they deserve. I want out of it.

09-05-2007, 11:38 PM
I liked his aggressive response. "NO! I'm saying we should take our marching orders from our Constitution!" It got a lot of applause and I agree that the question was unprofessional. Dr. Paul did a good job responding to that BS.
It sounded to me like a lot of the audience was actually applauding the question

jmarinara
09-05-2007, 11:39 PM
Ron was supremely confident

Yes.

on fire,

Double Yes.

No one else was anywhere near his caliber tonight.

Absolutely YES!!!!!!

This was by far Paul's best showing in the debates. The evidence of that is how concerned many of the other candidates were with him afterwards. Romney, Rudy, Hucakbee. They had (HAD!!!!) to talk about Ron Paul.

"I don't care what you say, just spell my name right."

Give me liberty
09-05-2007, 11:39 PM
I wonder why didnt ron paul say that we supported Al-Qaeda back in the past?

remember bosnia?

dircha
09-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Inability to articulate a solid response? What is inarticulate about "NO"?

I'm wondering if I watched the same debate some of you people did. Ron was supremely confident, on fire, and did not give one single inch. No one else was anywhere near his caliber tonight. At the after interview with Hannity he was completely relaxed and in his element, to the point he nearly laughed Hannity off the stage.

Were you watching the video when Ron Paul was responding there with the chuckling and the booing?

He lost his composure. And in trying to respond, at the height of the boos, trying to get out an answer he actually had the unfortunate line, "...and it was illegal under international law. That's where I take my marching orders from." Of course he meant for marching orders to refer to Constitution prior in the sentence, but it didn't come across that way. And just the mention of international law made the crowd and focus group reaction meter erupt.

That just isn't the core of Paul's position. International law should be our last concern. International law, here, meaning the UN. Ron Paul says we should withdraw from the UN. Ron lost his cool.

And I would have too.

dircha
09-05-2007, 11:45 PM
Paul's response of, "we take our marching orders from the Constitution" was pretty damn good, and even though Paul didn't wait for applause, it came anyway, and in a big way.

Except, and I haven't read the transcript, but I'm pretty sure he said, "...it was illegal under the Constitution and it was illegal under international law. That's where I take my marching orders from."

Not only does that come off very poorly because it sounded like he was saying he takes his marching orders from international law (the last noun of the prior sentence).

But I don't think, in a more calm and reasoned setting, that Ron Paul would say that whether or not the UN considers an action illegal should factor into our foreign policy decisions.

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail
09-05-2007, 11:58 PM
I couldn't believe the question. I thought Ron's response was great.

winston84
09-06-2007, 12:05 AM
That really got me steamed, he does not represent what a moderator is! I could care less if the other clowns on stage attack Paul because that is expected, but for the moderator to do so is SHAMELESS!

BuddyRey
09-06-2007, 12:08 AM
It just occured to me, upon rewatching the debate, that this is, by far, the most P.O.'ed I've ever seen RP. He was FUMING, and nobody in their right mind could blame him. Chris Wallace accused him of being an al-Qaeda sympathizer!

SWATH
09-06-2007, 12:08 AM
This just in:

"FoxNews' Chris Wallace equates following Constitution to following terrorists"

YES! This seriously needs to be an article or blog headline and on DIGG!

Nash
09-06-2007, 12:09 AM
All I heard, and all they are putting in the print media is: "I take my marching orders from the Constitution."

That was a fantastic response to the question. They are putting this quote in every single print story about the debate. It was pure gold.

Kuldebar
09-06-2007, 12:15 AM

I think you need to watch the video again.

Wallace didn't interrupt Ron Paul, he simply asked the stupidly ridiculous question as a follow up and Ron Paul very satisfactorily answered it. One of the many highlights of the evening, really.

AP (http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct=us/6i-0&fp=46df03e6bc2ab147&ei=xJrfRt_RGoumqgPI5-n4CA&url=http%3A//ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hk1jcRquYep7v7OeWiBKfBlfbCEg&cid=1120394821) is carrying it:
"No! We should take our marching orders from our Constitution," Paul shouted back, pointing his pen at Wallace for emphasis. ...

CJLauderdale4
09-06-2007, 12:16 AM
YES! This seriously needs to be an article or blog headline and on DIGG!

Here ya go:

http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/FoxNews_Chris_Wallace_Equates_Following_Constituti on_to_Following_Al_Qaeda

dircha
09-06-2007, 12:17 AM
I think you need to watch the video again.

Wallace didn't interrupt Ron Paul, he simply asked the stupidly ridiculous question as a follow up and Ron Paul very satisfactorily answered it. One of the many highlights of the evening, really.

AP (http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct=us/6i-0&fp=46df03e6bc2ab147&ei=xJrfRt_RGoumqgPI5-n4CA&url=http%3A//ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hk1jcRquYep7v7OeWiBKfBlfbCEg&cid=1120394821) is carrying it:
"No! We should take our marching orders from our Constitution," Paul shouted back, pointing his pen at Wallace for emphasis. ...

He answered it by saying that the war was illegal under international law and that that's where he takes his marching orders from.

I just watched it again. If you didn't hear the boos erupt and the reaction meters plunge on that statement, take a look again.

Ron Paul had some strong answers, but he got off message and flubbed that one by my count.

SWATH
09-06-2007, 12:20 AM
Here ya go:

http://digg.com/2008_us_elections/FoxNews_Chris_Wallace_Equates_Following_Constituti on_to_Following_Al_Qaeda

You rock dude!

Kuldebar
09-06-2007, 12:28 AM
He answered it by saying that the war was illegal under international law and that that's where he takes his marching orders from.

I just watched it again. If you didn't hear the boos erupt and the reaction meters plunge on that statement, take a look again.

Ron Paul had some strong answers, but he got off message and flubbed that one by my count.

Yeah, that's why I answered with what I did, an exact quote.

I was correcting your statement:

Faux News moderator interrupted Ron Paul's response to say, "So we should take our marching orders from Al-Qaeda? If they want us to leave we should leave?"
He didn't, but it was a stupid question.

More frustrating was Ron Paul's inability to articulate a solid response -Ron Paul gave a very forceful response and it's being quoted in AP News stories all over...I didn't find Ron Paul response "inarticulate".

Salamando
09-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Am I the only one that was glad he asked it? He is doing his job, I thought the questions asked throughout the debate have been much better than any of the previous democratic or republican debates. As long as people heard Ron Paul's response we should be happy.

ZandarKoad
09-06-2007, 09:49 AM

I can see how you could mis-understand him. But in it's proper CONTEXT, having JUST responded to the "MARCHING ORDERS" accusation, it's clear that the reference to 'that's where I take my marching orders from' was referring to the Constitution. He was NOT saying that he takes his marching orders from international law. That was merely an additional reason listed why the US was in fact the aggressors of the war.

The reaction meter? WTF is that? We'd do well to ignore the obvious MSM ploys to establish other measurements for popular opinion. Similar to going into that 'local' food establishment and asking 'average voters' what they think. It's the MSM's attempt to portray the public as opposed/oblivious to Ron Paul.

And about the reaction of the crowd present... Have you ever watched Jerry Springer? It's EXACTLY the same. They all react to every emotional conflict, irrespective of who is right or wrong. It's a mindless mob under contractual obligation.

Slugg
09-06-2007, 10:05 AM
The 'illegal' part was my only beef with Ron the entire debate. Period. He got excited, on fire, and angry....he overstepped there. It's a slip. No big deal. He just let his big balls show....it happens.

Overall, he may not have won the crowd in the room; I bet'cha he won a good amount of t.v. land viewers! That's the real goal. 98% of all the people in the audience knew who they supported before they got there. Even a PERFECT display by Ron with 20 min of talk time would have only won him 10% of the audience actually at the event.

The goal is the t.v. land people, and he got that in spades I think!

madcat033
09-06-2007, 10:09 AM
It sounded to me like a lot of the audience was actually applauding the question

Not me! I was at the debate, and I assure you that most people were applauding Dr. Paul.

blazin_it_alwyz
09-06-2007, 10:15 AM

if you watch closely, it sounds like more people are clapping for ron pauls response, watch the video closely

MusoSpuso
09-06-2007, 10:17 AM

Reaction meters? REACTION METERS? Are you fing kidding me? The reaction meters were controlled by the small gaggle of Guiliani/McCain/Romney supporters in the diner hand picked by FAUX news. Please stop citing that as anything resembling important or relevant in the least.

jj111
09-06-2007, 10:18 AM
All in all, that interchange ended up helping Ron. It helped show that he is a fiece and articulate opponent of the foreign wars. He displayed his backbone and his fire in that encounter.

Thor
09-06-2007, 10:18 AM
That was Dr. Pauls best showing so far in the debates. I liked the way he showed a bit of back bone and pointed back at the moderator. He has been very soft spoken to date, but last night he was on fire and I think it was awesome.

People will see he is smart, even tempered, but will not take BS either, and also gets a little tongue tied because he is not a polish piece of political crap like a lot of other McRomney happy meals. Dr. Paul is a perfect picture for the leader of our country and his response to that and the Huck banter just made that come shining through.

Dutch
09-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like following international law is a bad thing? If there is some International Law that was violated in starting the war with Iraq, why would the USA be exempt from following that law?

Dutch

Oops, please disregard, I see a new thread was just started on this subject.

Captain Shays
09-06-2007, 10:40 AM
The international I'm SURE Ron Paul was refering to is the very first treaty our government ever signed called "The Law Of Nations" where it became illegal for a country to attack another country unless it was in self defense.

We should all make his now famous (and I predict growing in fame) quote 'I take my marching orders from the Constitution" a part of our flyers, banners, and placed in all pictures of Ron Paul from now on!
This quote will cause a backfire on Wallace and the GOP neocons and the CFR hacks that might burn off their ugly faces.

Mort
09-06-2007, 10:51 AM
The international I'm SURE Ron Paul was refering to is the very first treaty our government ever signed called "The Law Of Nations" where it became illegal for a country to attack another country unless it was in self defense.

We should all make his now famous (and I predict growing in fame) quote 'I take my marching orders from the Constitution" a part of our flyers, banners, and placed in all pictures of Ron Paul from now on!
This quote will cause a backfire on Wallace and the GOP neocons and the CFR hacks that might burn off their ugly faces.

I think he mispoke about international law. I think he meant constitutional. Otherwise, it would collide with his normal policy.