PDA

View Full Version : Senate Vote Breakdown By Election Vulnerability?

Dave
10-02-2008, 01:01 PM
All representatives are up for election in a month and I think that had a lot to do with many of them voting NO - not wanting to go home and face an outraged electorate. I read somewhere that the reps in the tightest races back home disproportionately voted NO on the bailout.

Only 1/3 of the senators are up for election next month. Has anyone compared the % of no votes from the 1/3 of senators up for re-election with the % of no votes from the 2/3 of senators who are not up for re-election?

I think that would be interesting to see. I'll bet there were more NO votes from the ones who have to be re-elected next month.

I've now done some math:

25% of the senate voted NO yesterday. That's 19% of democrats and 31% of republicans.
35 senate seats are up for election next month. 5 of these guys are retiring (all republicans, go figure). Only 1 of these 5 voted NO.
That leaves 30 people who had to go home and run for re-election on how they voted on the bailout. 33% of these senators voted NO.
Out of this 30 up for re-election, 17% of the democrats voted NO and 44% of republicans voted no.
Unscientific conclusion: democrats aren't really concerned that how they vote on this will affect the outcome of their elections. Republicans are concerned. This might also suggest that democrats expect this to be a good election year for them.

TurtleBurger
10-02-2008, 01:10 PM
New Mexico's 2 senators voted "Yes". Domenici is retiring and Bingaman isn't up for re-election until 2012. I don't have time to go through the whole list but that's a start.

bew2005
10-02-2008, 01:14 PM
Senate Minority Leader McConnell is up for re-election in Kentucky this year, and he is polling fairly even with the Democrat for whom I will be voting (the Dem. is hardly better but tossing McConnell sends a message nevertheless).

MsDoodahs
10-02-2008, 01:38 PM
I started going through the states where polling data is available from RealClearPolitics last night. I'll finish tonight or one of y'all can jump in and continue it.

I've posted the links by state in the "Kick the Traitors Out" subforum.

Check it out.

:)

kirkblitz
10-02-2008, 01:54 PM
Graham voted yet and i sure as fuck will be voting against him and for the ron paul democrat!!!!!!!!!!!

ItsTime
10-02-2008, 01:56 PM
My rep is already down in the polls and voted yes. It looks like he does not like his job.

Highland
10-02-2008, 02:36 PM
///

ronpaulfollower999
10-02-2008, 02:40 PM
Bill Nelson (D-FL) isn't up for re-election until 2012. He voted no on the plan.
Mel Martinez (R-FL) will be up for re-election in 2010. He voted yes.

Dave
10-02-2008, 03:13 PM
Bump - numbers now posted in original post.