PDA

View Full Version : Death of analog T.V

Warrior_of_Freedom
10-01-2008, 07:34 PM
What is the real motive behind this? A long time ago I read 'to save bandwith' but I don't trust that statement.

slothman
10-01-2008, 07:47 PM
I think it is malice.
Now all those people who have older TV's must now spend money on big corps to get a new digital one.
Or they must spend money to a big corp to get a converter.
IMHO, some of these people will not get it and will lose their "circuses".
The odd part is that they may actually vote, to get their "circuses" back, and increase turnout.

ronpaulfollower999
10-01-2008, 07:48 PM
What happens when a hurricane hits and I'm without power? Those portable TV's won't work anymore. :mad:

heavenlyboy34
10-01-2008, 07:53 PM
I don't suspect much of conspiracy in this case. The same thing happened in the transition from Windows 3.1 to Win 95 to Win 98 to XP, etc. In this case, it looks like an example of evolving technology. :D (remember dial-up internet? :eek: )

JosephTheLibertarian
10-01-2008, 07:55 PM
I don't suspect much of conspiracy in this case. The same thing happened in the transition from Windows 3.1 to Win 95 to Win 98 to XP, etc. In this case, it looks like an example of evolving technology. :D (remember dial-up internet? :eek: )

It's still not the free market

heavenlyboy34
10-01-2008, 08:01 PM
It's still not the free market

Good point. Now that you mention it, the thing is rather sneaky and weird, ain't it? I guess I've been trying to ignore my instinct about it since the commercials warning about the "digital transition" began airing on the radio. Thanks for pointing that out, commrade!

FindLiberty
10-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I decided to give up watching any broadcast (or cable) NTSC or HDTV ever again. I'm sure the habit has been kicked since I haven't tuned in a TV to watch anything in over 3 years.

HDTV was a good technical effort with some good features that could have included "jump features" integrated within broadcast and HDTV DVDs (BluRay), that parents could program to skip over sex/violence/language scenes/words/moments within a movie. That would be "consumer control" and not a FCC priority.

Instead, the FCC shoves the standard down the public's throat, i.e., 2-17-09 ...and pisses on the free market.

Watch for brain cancer trends within 15 years.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-01-2008, 08:07 PM
Good point. Now that you mention it, the thing is rather sneaky and weird, ain't it? I guess I've been trying to ignore my instinct about it since the commercials warning about the "digital transition" began airing on the radio. Thanks for pointing that out, commrade!

yeah, do we have a free market in cable service providers? I don't think anyone can start a cable co. lol. the regulation is just retarded. do they ever give reason why they regulate licensing? no. they just always did it this way, for no damn reason

Matt Collins
10-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Multiple reasons this is happening:
1- Entertainment industry lobbied Congress for this so that it would stimulate sales of equipment
2- It would help accelerate technology away from analog and to digital
3- Would enable broadcast flags to prohibit recording for more kopyright kontrol
4- Would allow for more efficient use of bandwidth so the FCC could auction the unused portions off (to companies like MSFT, Motorola, Google, etc).

I actually just bought my converter box today (using my government coupon; hey just trying to get some tax dollars back). I'll be installing it tonight and hopefully will be happy with it. I canceled my cable service after the election and never watch TV anymore (lots of good documentaries on NetFlix) but when the occasional tornado comes rolling through the neighborhood at 2am I would like to be able to tune into my local news service in real time.

bj72
10-01-2008, 08:17 PM
I do not think it is all about bandwith. There was an article in a technical publication a while back about cable or satellite companies looking to put cameras on the receiver boxes (I can't remember if they had already done a few, or were just throwing around the idea of a patent). Supposedly it was a "great" idea to be able to tell who was in the room and then the tv could make suggestions accordingly or "help" parents protect their children from certain programs (which as a parent, I'm wondering why many do not just use the current "block" & "code" feature available on most sets....pretty easy). Plus I guess in theory it is easier for them to know what you are watching too vs analog.

Anyway, I suspect there is a bigger piece of the pie we haven't seen yet on this front.

We are on the verge of letting our Directv subscription go when it is up next month.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
10-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Who cares? There is not one valid reason that someone needs to have television, therefore the reason for the switch is a non-issue. The real issue is the use of public money to subsidize converters. Why didn't they send me a coupon towards building a new PC when Direct X 10 was released?

Think about who this primarily effects, too: old people. The voting block largely responsible for rubber-stamping expansionist policies, cheering on warfare, and guzzling our paychecks. The harder it is for them to tune in to mindless propaganda, the better.

Deborah K
10-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Who cares? There is not one valid reason that someone needs to have television, therefore it's a non-issue.

Think about who this primarily effects, too: old people. The voting block largely responsible for rubber-stamping expansionist policies, cheering on warfare, and guzzling our paychecks. The harder it is for them to tune in to mindless propaganda, the better.

Guzzling your paychecks??? You think they didn't pay into this system??? You think it's their fault the gov't pilfered the SS fund? Geezus.

As to the analogue vs. digital, it's just progress people. I remember when we had dial phones that were installed by the phone co. permanently into the wall! Don't be so tin-foil. :rolleyes:

JosephTheLibertarian
10-01-2008, 08:43 PM
Guzzling your paychecks??? You think they didn't pay into this system??? You think it's their fault the gov't pilfered the SS fund? Geezus.

As to the analogue vs. digital, it's just progress people. I remember when we had dial phones that were installed by the phone co. permanently into the wall! Don't be so tin-foil. :rolleyes:

tech would be better without fcc fucking licensing bullshit

Matt Collins
10-01-2008, 08:44 PM
There is not one valid reason that someone needs to have televisionWhile I agree with 98%, there are some times when having a TV can be beneficial...

Think about who this primarily effects, too: old people. The voting block largely responsible for rubber-stamping expansionist policies, cheering on warfare, and guzzling our paychecks. The harder it is for them to tune in to mindless propaganda, the better.Yep.

Grimnir Wotansvolk
10-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Guzzling your paychecks??? You think they didn't pay into this system??? You think it's their fault the gov't pilfered the SS fund? Geezus.It doesn't matter that they paid into the system. I was not present to consent for the pilfering, or for the development of SS in the first place.

Besides, I'll contend until the day I die that the human body isn't actually prone to simply break-down as we tend to see in the elderly. It comes from indulging in north american dietary garbage, on top of the almost hypochondriac consumption of inorganic medication. I shouldn't have to shoulder the burden of another person's lack of personal responsibility, and neither should you.

slothman
10-01-2008, 08:56 PM
It's isn't free market.
If it were then people could decide whether to use analog or digital instead of forcing digital.

jblosser
10-01-2008, 09:09 PM
They did it because they want the broadcast flag (so they can enforce that line about not recording and playing back NBA games without their permission and royalties) and because they want to be able to charge more because "it's digitalz". They didn't want to use the market to make the transition because any analog gear out there will render the broadcast flag useless, so they went sobbing to Congress that they need regulation to encourage people to upgrade. Congressman Mighty Mouse was all too happy to come to the rescue and teach us what's best for us. And snort some more coke off an actress or two.

I'm not a "no TV" kind of person historically but I'm done with them. They can keep their precious signal if it means that much to them.

heavenlyboy34
10-01-2008, 09:18 PM

everyone theoretically "pays into the system". That doesn't make it JUST, though. If you're any sort of conservative/libertarian, you wouldn't take it. Even Rush Limbaugh's grandfather wouldn't take S.S.-he simply mailed the checks back.

I am never going to take Social Security or any of these silly unnecessary bailout programs simply on principle. I currently have to be on disability, but that's just due to the way the system is stacked against me. I'll get off of it as soon as I can save enough! :D

JohnMeridith
10-01-2008, 09:24 PM
i'm pretty pissed that my 14 year old handheld color tv wont be any good now. THat little baby was awesome when hurricane charlie came through a few years ago and I was without power for 3 days.

manny229
10-01-2008, 09:36 PM

I like my little analouge TV. I can take it into any room in the house plug it in, pull up the rabbit ears, and like magic I get FREE reception! No worries about cable lines, sattelite dish, or a bill every month. I'm not against progress just let me have a choice in the matter!
By the way, Yes I do also have a rotary phone (and I'm under 35) :)used to belong to my parents and it still works fine.... meanwhile I went through dozens of "modern" phones.

Deborah K
10-01-2008, 09:37 PM
If you're any sort of conservative/libertarian, you wouldn't take it.

Lovely, now tell that to the elderly who were duped into believing that the gov't was going to give them back what they put into it - without their consent! You don't have a choice about paying into it and neither did they! The only difference between the elderly and the rest of us, is that we know NOT to trust the gov't. They were brought up in a different era and I get so sick of people like Grimnir who are soooo hostile about the elderly. God help you Grimnir when you get old. :mad:

Grimnir Wotansvolk
10-01-2008, 09:54 PM
They were brought up in a different eraNot an excuse.

I get so sick of people like Grimnir who are soooo hostile about the elderly. God help you Grimnir when you get old. :mad:I've never been anything but respectful and kind to the elderly. Perhaps if that had ever been returned I wouldn't sound so hostile now.

And prior to getting old, I plan on taking care of my body so it doesn't slope into some sort of disastrous retrograde.

Deborah K
10-01-2008, 10:10 PM
Not an excuse.

I've never been anything but respectful and kind to the elderly. Perhaps if that had ever been returned I wouldn't sound so hostile now.

And prior to getting old, I plan on taking care of my body so it doesn't slope into some sort of disastrous retrograde.

And ignorance is bliss! :rolleyes:

blancmange
10-02-2008, 01:43 AM
Sounds about right.

Who needs cable when you can use your computer to a tv monitor?

Isn't that what everyone does? i do

I do not think it is all about bandwith. There was an article in a technical publication a while back about cable or satellite companies looking to put cameras on the receiver boxes (I can't remember if they had already done a few, or were just throwing around the idea of a patent). Supposedly it was a "great" idea to be able to tell who was in the room and then the tv could make suggestions accordingly or "help" parents protect their children from certain programs (which as a parent, I'm wondering why many do not just use the current "block" & "code" feature available on most sets....pretty easy). Plus I guess in theory it is easier for them to know what you are watching too vs analog.

Anyway, I suspect there is a bigger piece of the pie we haven't seen yet on this front.

We are on the verge of letting our Directv subscription go when it is up next month.

blancmange
10-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Not an excuse.

I've never been anything but respectful and kind to the elderly. Perhaps if that had ever been returned I wouldn't sound so hostile now.

lol Grimnir I agree. Most old people are rude and obnoxious. lol

Conza88
10-02-2008, 01:46 AM
Because their piss scared in the transfer, people will realise they don't actually need television. All that life wasted in front of a box. On the net, the last free place - at least you interact; it's not passive etc.

blancmange
10-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Nba ratings have been crashing down anyway.

They did it because they want the broadcast flag (so they can enforce that line about not recording and playing back NBA games without their permission and royalties) and because they want to be able to charge more because "it's digitalz". They didn't want to use the market to make the transition because any analog gear out there will render the broadcast flag useless, so they went sobbing to Congress that they need regulation to encourage people to upgrade. Congressman Mighty Mouse was all too happy to come to the rescue and teach us what's best for us. And snort some more coke off an actress or two.

I'm not a "no TV" kind of person historically but I'm done with them. They can keep their precious signal if it means that much to them.

blancmange
10-02-2008, 01:49 AM
i'm pretty pissed that my 14 year old handheld color tv wont be any good now. THat little baby was awesome when hurricane charlie came through a few years ago and I was without power for 3 days.

What about UHF?

Pepsi
10-02-2008, 02:17 AM
I remember reading about a year ago that it might have something to do with the RFID Chips, along with them putting camras and microphones into the cable boxes. Thow I cant remember what site it was on

blancmange
10-02-2008, 02:23 AM
I remember reading about a year ago that it might have something to do with the RFID Chips, along with them putting camras and microphones into the cable boxes. Thow I cant remember what site it was on

Seriously, that's pretty scary. I wouldn't know what to look for inside the box. If you must have a box, perhaps tape the front panel with black tape but leave just enough for the infrared to be read. lol

Conza88
10-02-2008, 02:27 AM
http://samizdata.net/~pdeh/BigBrother1984_sml.gif

blancmange
10-02-2008, 02:31 AM
As I said I use my computer's video output to my 34 inch tv flat-screen some 10 feet away from me. Rather than use my mouse to click on computer hard drive videos to watch I'd like to sequence a set of videos(from my harddrive) in order and just let them play. Anyone know how to do that?

Conza88
10-02-2008, 03:26 AM
As I said I use my computer's video output to my 34 inch tv flat-screen some 10 feet away from me. Rather than use my mouse to click on computer hard drive videos to watch I'd like to sequence a set of videos(from my harddrive) in order and just let them play. Anyone know how to do that?

Play list.. with windows media player ? :confused:

Or, you can get a macro maker and click them at certain times..

invisible
10-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Matt had it right with his 4 reasons. Industry pressure for increased control over fair use is a large part of it (note that this is yet another step closer towards being forced to pay for what was previously "free" - FM broadcast will eventually be next, and we'll be forced to "subscribe" to satellite radio). However, the biggest reason is that the government can generate increased revenue by moving all TV broadcasting to UHF frequencies (and making it digital in the process), and auctioning off the now unused VHF frequencies to big business interests. Combine more money for the government with industry pressure, and the public interest goes right out the window. Increased demand for radio spectrum has historically pushed new users of spectrum to higher and higher frequencies, resulting in development of new technology - this is the free market at work. The forced conversion to digital TV is yet another distortion of the forces of the free market to benefit both government and large corporations. To understand why this forced conversion is happening, one must ask the question and understand the answer to "who benefits?"

azminuteman
10-02-2008, 01:43 PM
What is the real motive behind this? A long time ago I read 'to save bandwith' but I don't trust that statement.

It's part evolving technology and one could claim corporatism for distributing media.

The technology part comes from the fact that HD signals need more bandwidth that the current analog is able to handle so they need to restructure the 6Mhz band of the VHF spectrum from NTSC to ATSC.

Since you can't broadcast both, NTSC will no longer be supported by the broadcasters.

By being able to compress the signal to accomodate HD content and more channels, part of the VHF spectrum and UHF will be auctioned off for - wireless internet. If you can pick up a TV signal, you'll be able to pick up internet. Google is a major player for this spectrum and will offer free internet subsidized by ads.

go_carolina_528
10-02-2008, 02:36 PM
The FCC sold off the spectrum of the analog tv to cell phone companies.

werdd
10-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Multiple reasons this is happening:
1- Entertainment industry lobbied Congress for this so that it would stimulate sales of equipment
2- It would help accelerate technology away from analog and to digital
3- Would enable broadcast flags to prohibit recording for more kopyright kontrol
4- Would allow for more efficient use of bandwidth so the FCC could auction the unused portions off (to companies like MSFT, Motorola, Google, etc).

I actually just bought my converter box today (using my government coupon; hey just trying to get some tax dollars back). I'll be installing it tonight and hopefully will be happy with it. I canceled my cable service after the election and never watch TV anymore (lots of good documentaries on NetFlix) but when the occasional tornado comes rolling through the neighborhood at 2am I would like to be able to tune into my local news service in real time.

I gurantee the cable boxes plummet in retail pricing as soon as they stop handing out gvt. coupons.

FindLiberty
10-02-2008, 04:42 PM
What about UHF?

"UHF" is the band used by the "new" HDTV stations, the signal is digital in nature.

Get a converter box (coupon plus ~$25) if you want to use that old TV.

FindLiberty
10-02-2008, 04:43 PM
The FCC sold off the spectrum of the analog tv to cell phone companies.

The high end of the olf UHF TV band was sold a long time ago and is in use for those cell phones.

JosephTheLibertarian
10-02-2008, 05:36 PM
how can I start my own tv station? :(

Conza88
10-02-2008, 05:39 PM
how can I start my own tv station? :(

Government says no.

CaseyJones
10-02-2008, 05:47 PM
woohoo kill the tv

Matt Collins
10-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Matt had it right with his 4 reasons. Of course I did. I ALWAYS have it right :rolleyes:

:cool::p:D;):)

blancmange
10-03-2008, 12:33 AM
Play list.. with windows media player ? :confused:

Or, you can get a macro maker and click them at certain times..

Tell me how to do it please and will it pop-up and play flash videos if they were in the list?