PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions

rational thinker
10-01-2008, 07:26 PM
1.) Does a bill have to start out at the House like my friend is suggesting or can it start in the Senate like it did today?
2.) How is Ohio already voting?

aspiringconstitutionalist
10-01-2008, 07:29 PM
1.) Does a bill have to start out at the House like my friend is suggesting or can it start in the Senate like it did today?

Well, regardless of the original intentions of the Founders, appropriations bills can now apparently begin in the Senate. Not saying it's necessarily Constitutional, but that's how it's gonna happen.

2.) How is Ohio already voting?

We have an early voting period where people can go and vote before Nov. 4 to avoid the traffic and whatnot.

nodope0695
10-01-2008, 07:29 PM
I always thought a bill was started in the house, must pass before going to the senate, and then if passed goes to prez.

So, the way I see it, this bill should have never even gone to the senate since it failed to pass the house. Therefore, shouldn't the house be arguing over it some more until it eventually passes, THEN sent to the senate?

WTF....i just dunno anymore.

billjarrett
10-01-2008, 07:32 PM
If I remember right from what I was reading this morning, what they did was took a bill that already passed the house, then added the bailout as an "amendment".

I also think this unfortunately means it got a new bill number on it's way back to the house, so the house gets two more stabs at it instead of one before it's shelved.