PDA

View Full Version : My Senators' Offices: All Ciruits are Busy!

mconder
10-01-2008, 05:56 PM
I can't get through to voice opposition to this vote. So much for representative government. Do they shut the switchboard down on purpose in these situations?

ihsv
10-01-2008, 05:59 PM
I can't get through to voice opposition to this vote. So much for representative government. Do they shut the switchboard down on purpose in these situations?

I was able to get through to one of my Senators (Jim Bunning) today, but I tried and tried to get ahold of McConnell's office today, but he took his phones off the hook. I ended up having to call his Louisville office.

angelatc
10-01-2008, 06:00 PM
I hope that "all circuits are busy" is a message that means "all circuits are busy."

torchbearer
10-01-2008, 06:00 PM
FYI-
Senators aren't representatives, and since their voting pool is now an entire state... they are far removed from you... and really don't care what you think.

This is why I advocate that the state governor or its legislature appoint/elect senators.
They would be under direct control of each state government.

olehounddog
10-01-2008, 06:25 PM
FYI-
Senators aren't representatives, and since their voting pool is now an entire state... they are far removed from you... and really don't care what you think.

This is why I advocate that the state governor or its legislature appoint/elect senators.

100% with you on that one Torchbearer.

torchbearer
10-01-2008, 07:24 PM
100% with you on that one Torchbearer.

This should be an issue our federal candidates bring up more often.
Though it would require a constitutional convention.

kathy88
10-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Both my Senators mailboxes were full from 8:00 a.m. until two minutes before the vote was the last time I tried. They both voted Yes.

BeFranklin
10-01-2008, 07:29 PM
FYI-

Well, actually, that is the way it used to be in the Constitution, and the amendment was never legally ratified.

BeFranklin
10-01-2008, 07:33 PM
This should be an issue our federal candidates bring up more often.
Though it would require a constitutional convention.

Section 3 - The Senate

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof, for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote.

Article. V. - Amendment Note1 - Note2 - Note3

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

Every State lost its suffrage and right to choose senators by the supposed passage of the 17th Amendment, but it wasn't passed unanimously, so it was done without States consent. I remember arguing this years ago and winning. That's what the constitution meant.

torchbearer
10-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Well, actually, that is the way it used to be in the Constitution, and the amendment was never legally ratified.

Article I, Section 3
The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each state, chosen by the legislature thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote.

edit: oops, just saw you posted it.

torchbearer
10-01-2008, 07:36 PM
The Bonnie Blue flag should hint at my allegiance. ;)

BeFranklin
10-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Article I, Section 3
The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each state, chosen by the legislature thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote.

edit: oops, just saw you posted it.

Yep, we lost a whole piece of federalism and checks and balances when they started using the 17th Amendment (see article 5 about unanimous consent).

Originally, the will of the people was suppose to flow in two paths. Directly through the Representatives, and indirectly through the States and then the Senate. This preserves both States rights and direct representation.

By making the senate directly voted on, you eliminate a check for states rights and increase the power at the federal level, while at the same time the senate become less accountable to voters because they are elected at the state wide level not district level, and only 1/3rd of the senate is elected every two years.

Which is exactly why revenue bills are suppose to originate in the House not the Senate, because the House is more accountable to the individual voter.

torchbearer
10-01-2008, 07:43 PM
Yep, we lost a whole piece of federalism and checks and balances when they started using the 17th Amendment (see article 5 about unanimous consent).

Originally, the will of the people was suppose to flow in two paths. Directly through the Representatives, and indirectly through the States and then the Senate. This preserves both States rights and direct representation.

By making the senate directly voted on, you eliminate states rights and increase power at the federal level, while at the same time they become less accountable to voters because they are elected at the state wide level not district, and only 1/3rd is elected every two years.

Which is exactly way revenue bills are suppose to originate in the House not the Senate, because the House is more accountable to the individual voter.

also- the states can't do anything about the federal government directly taxing its people.
See- the federal government withholds money from our paycheck, and then extorts the states into doing its will with that money.

It happened in louisiana. Bill Clinton told our state, that unless it changed its drinking age to 21 it would lose its highway funds.
The state wanted to fight it, but couldn't afford to tax the people anymore to make up for the loss.
Basically saying, in order for you to get your own money back, you will have to do what we say.

Our states are being anally raped by the federal government because of the 17th amendment and the state has no say in it.
We don't have states, we have 50 wards to the federal government.
That shit really pisses me off. Enough to do a bull run twice.

steph3n
10-01-2008, 08:04 PM

I tired to get through for 5 hours never was able and mails bounced when I got around the web based system :(