PDA

View Full Version : [ DIGG ] Constitutional End Run - Appropriations must begin in the House

paulforpaul
10-01-2008, 04:10 PM
Just wrote a new article on my blog encouraging my friends, family, and hopefully strangers to call their senators. It digs into why the Senate bill is a bad idea, including how they're doing an end-run on the Constitutional requirement that appropriations bills begin in the House of Reps.

It also details my experience calling Senators Voinovich and Brown of Ohio.

To read it and digg, click http://www.paulreads.com/content/blog-entry/when-first-you-fail-propose-a-greater-boondoggle (there is a digg button on that page)

or go directly digg page, where you can vote and comment: h ttp://digg.com/politics/When_First_You_Fail_Propose_a_Greater_Boondoggle

update: err, "they're".

paulforpaul
10-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Both of my senators voted for it. At least in the House, my Rep., Jean Schmidt came out against the first one. Hopefully she'll stay opposed this time.

Also, is it just me, or is it really rotten to gut some unrelated House bill so that it could "start" in the House. Isn't this some basis to work on? Maybe when you talk to your representative, point out that the Senate (and the treasury and the Fed) are trying to purloin the power of the purse?

RSLudlum
10-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Maybe when you talk to your representative, point out that the Senate (and the treasury and the Fed) are trying to purloin the power of the purse?

yeah, you might want to remind them that "their purse' is empty, and that they need to keep their hands out of yours!

paulforpaul
10-01-2008, 09:55 PM
Nice idea. I would like to have children some day, and it's future generations that the majority is deciding to rob.

RSLudlum
10-01-2008, 10:02 PM
Nice idea. I would like to have children some day, and it's future generations that the majority is deciding to rob.

If you ever want to make a poignant arguement esp. with a new parent, tell them that the gov't has already priced and sold thier kid's future to the bankers and foreigners.

I've had quite a few lifted eyebrows on that one. ;)