PDA

View Full Version : Pay it forward C4L style

afmatt
10-01-2008, 09:19 AM
This is not a thread for argument. Please respect that.

I would like to offer to buy two people into the CFL paid membership that legitimately cannot afford it. Please PM me and let me know if you fit the bill.

Bryan
10-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Nice. I had a feeling this would happen eventually but didn't think it would be this fast. :)

frasu
10-01-2008, 09:31 AM
are talking about the $35 for a one-year precinct leader membership? or there is another charge?

I believe that the free membership is just fine for the beginning at least.

afmatt
10-01-2008, 09:36 AM
Nice. I had a feeling this would happen eventually but didn't think it would be this fast. :)

Trying to get things off to a good start. And get the people crying about the prices to shup up.

are talking about the $35 for a one-year precinct leader membership? or there is another charge?

I believe that the free membership is just fine for the beginning at least.

Yep I'm talking about the Precinct leader membership. And you're right - for many folks a free membership is the best starting point.

Jeremy
10-01-2008, 09:38 AM
the title of your thread is gonna confuse ppl then!

afmatt
10-01-2008, 09:39 AM
the title of your thread is gonna confuse ppl then!

hmmm - probably right. My bad. I'll see if an admin/mod can change it.

tonesforjonesbones
10-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Well, 35 dollars in and of itself is not expensive. Buying cd's and brochures etc can run up a bill. I think the better way is to just put them on the site...allow people to download them and go to office depot and run off copies...much cheaper. I try to be frugal in these difficult economic times. They should make the cd's able to be copied. Just send one out to the precinct leader...and let the group get some blank cds and make copies. Tones

parke
10-01-2008, 10:01 AM
pfft...

newyearsrevolution08
10-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Well, 35 dollars in and of itself is not expensive. Buying cd's and brochures etc can run up a bill. I think the better way is to just put them on the site...allow people to download them and go to office depot and run off copies...much cheaper. I try to be frugal in these difficult economic times. They should make the cd's able to be copied. Just send one out to the precinct leader...and let the group get some blank cds and make copies. Tones

Can't we do this anyways?

Have a precinct leader (one of us odds are) get the cds and then burn them locally for our groups?

One Off Cost for the most part, I do agree that charging is not the best thing to do and keeping it grassroots style would be better. If it really is only the precinct leaders spending money then I suppose it makes sense.

Hell a precinct leader could just ask the group he or she is in for a donation to buy all of the precinct stuff. Cheaper for the entire group that way.

I understand nothing runs for free including websites. A membership site is one of the most profitable websites to run as well SO it is a decent investment for whoever owns it, who does own this site and the cfl though?

$35 x 10,000 precinct captains = $35k annually
$35 x 50,000 precinct captains = $175k annually

As far as political efforts, that is not ALOT of money being made each year BUT it can help out with grassroots sized efforts and so forth. I wonder if they are going to be using any of that money towards anything specific OR if it is solely going into paying expenses and so forth.

I am just happy it is not an all paid membership though. I think they need to open up the blogs, if they get a forum as well to guests so they can get comfy then sign up. Having everything blocked behind the membership will not help bring in NEW people too quickly.

tonesforjonesbones
10-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Yes there can be activism on a shoestring...that is grass roots. If you have to pay people living wage salaries...that runs up a bill. I agree...the local groups can decide who they want as a leader and chip in the money evenly..but I sincerely believe the materials should be free..and let the group chip in to make copies. That's real grassroots. Restore the REpublic for instance, they have those Freedom to Fascism cd's for 1. 25 but they are copywrited... you cant copy them, you have to keep going back to that organization website to buy more. True grass roots activism? If RtR reallly wants to change the USA...those things should be free..or even downloadable...and we footsoldiers can burn them and hand them out like crazy! Tones