PDA

View Full Version : Please post EVERYWHERE!

freelance
10-01-2008, 06:48 AM
I'm pretty sure this is possible. There is a Senate procedure called a hold. It can be done in secret for a maximum of six sessions (by sessions, I think that means day-long sessions).

We've got to find ONE brave Senator who will place a hold on this bill. It would stop it dead in its tracks. I think that our best bet is Senator Shelby. Someone else mentioned another Senator, and I can't remember who it was.

They're all so eager to use procedural methods for screwing us. Won't one brave Senator step up to the plate to save all of us?

They're going to float the money with or without a bill. This bill is for an Executive power grab just. Congress is abdicating its power to the Executive branch much the same way they turned their declaration of war powers over to the Executive branch a few years ago. We cannot tolerate this.

Please post far and wide, and be sure to target Senator Shelby.

Thanks.

NoPants
10-01-2008, 06:58 AM
That's my senator! Shelby his been great, and my other senator, Sessions, has also been supportive of Ron Paul and against this bill for the most part.

NoPants
10-01-2008, 07:01 AM
Senator Richard Shelby from Alabama is the senior Republican on the banking committee and one of the most vocal critics of the bailout plan.

By now, everyone on the planet knows that Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson are urging Congress to quickly pass a $700 billion financial bailout, warning that letting our financial problems persist would have dire consquences for the national economy. They gave testimony today before the Senate Banking Committee.

Senator Richard Shelby (R-AL), the ranking republican and known contrarian to The Plan, told Paulson and Bernake:

“I have long opposed government bailouts for individuals and corporate American alike.”

“We have been given no credible assurances that this plan will work. We could very well send $700 billion, or a trillion, and not resolve the crisis.”

freelance
10-01-2008, 07:03 AM
That's my senator! Shelby his been great, and my other senator, Sessions, has also been supportive of Ron Paul and against this bill for the most part.

Can you call him/his office (as a constituent) and ask about a hold? I'd be interested in hearing the answer. ONE Senator could save this whole fiasco from coming to fruition.

afmatt
10-01-2008, 07:13 AM
Won't work sadly...

A "hold" describes a Senator's request to his party leader that a specific piece of legislation or a nomination not be considered on the Senate floor. A hold may be lodged as a bargaining chip so that the Senator is consulted as a measure proceeds, or it may be meant as an ultimate barrier to a bill.

Holds are not a part of the Senate's written rules or standing orders. They are an informal practice begun by the leadership of the past and honored -- to varying degrees -- by the leadership of the present. The status of holds as an informal practice means that Senate leaders have the discretion to honor holds for a short period of time, for an indefinite period, or not at all.

SnappleLlama
10-01-2008, 07:13 AM
The bill can still pass the Senate, though...what would be the point of this? Why would it be "stopped dead" if it's only being delayed.

Sorry, I haven't had my coffee, yet, so simple concepts are hard for me to grasp at the moment! :)

wgadget
10-01-2008, 07:24 AM
If the Senate passes it today, doesn't it still have to go back to the House?

constituent
10-01-2008, 07:26 AM
i guess the real question would be are there any senators w/ nothing to lose?

SnappleLlama
10-01-2008, 07:28 AM
i guess the real question would be are there any senators w/ nothing to lose?

Not in Pennsylvania, it seems:

-

Casey Statement on Bailout Bill
September 29, 2008

WASHINGTON, DC- U.S. Senator Bob Casey (D-PA) today released the following statement in response to the House vote on the bailout bill:

“Despite the House vote today where two thirds of Republicans voted against a major rescue bill to strengthen our economy, I am going to keep working. As a U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania and a member of the Senate Banking Committee, I will continue to work with my colleagues to develop a strategy to protect retirement and pension savings and stabilize our credit markets so that working families can borrow the money they need for their daily lives and allow small businesses to make payroll. It is up to President Bush and his administration to exercise leadership to prevent our economy from going into a deep protracted recession. ”

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Ugh.

Sarge
10-01-2008, 07:35 AM
Yes it is only a delay but, it gives more time for people to say no.

Many others are on our side and working on the Senators.

ticker forums is going full blast against this fraud.

freelance
10-01-2008, 08:05 AM
Won't work sadly...

CRAP! It was worth a try, because there just aren't enough Senators on board to make a difference in that chamber, unless they suddenly get religion. Not likely. :(

Sorry guys. I had a little hope...

afmatt
10-01-2008, 08:07 AM
CRAP! It was worth a try, because there just aren't enough Senators on board to make a difference in that chamber, unless they suddenly get religion. Not likely. :(

Sorry guys. I had a little hope...

Don't give up! Keep calling!

Chester Copperpot
10-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Yes it is only a delay but, it gives more time for people to say no.

Many others are on our side and working on the Senators.

ticker forums is going full blast against this fraud.

yeah we have to play the same games they do... they want to keep bringing up dead bills for a re vote.. then we'll hold, delay, philibuster, whatever it takes.