PDA

View Full Version : So Many Threads, So Many Loose Ends

cheapseats
09-30-2008, 07:02 PM
In the passion and frustration and even excitement of opposing the Great Bailout, note how many threads are begun and how quickly they fall off Page One.

The only thing the likes of Karl Rove like better than mindless compliance is when the Opposition permits itself to be whipped into a frenzied, scattered, disjointed, ineffectual staccato of outrage...like political Tourettes. They rely upon the theatricality of it being matched by unmanageability.

cheapseats
10-01-2008, 08:02 AM
Seriously, y'all are working against yourselves. I get it, that everyone is emotionally charged. But you've got dozens of separate threads on a given topic. Everyone may be getting their say, but fewer people are HEARING what each person says. Fewer still are the discussions toward consensus.

The Powers That Be and especially the Powers That Belong In Jail have the upper hand, by every measure. What the People have is MORE hands. If the far greater number of individual hands are not marshalled into an effective Unit, they will NOT unseat Power.

This Board has it MUCH more together than my last haunt, where a new thread was begun if Barack Obama sneezed, but look how dispersed your energies.

Neoconservatives don't have that "freedom" problem.

It takes a lot of discipline to be free.

Dorfsmith
10-01-2008, 08:04 AM
I'm not having any trouble finding any information I need here. If I want everything in a neat little row I'll go to a different site.

constituent
10-01-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm not having any trouble finding any information I need here. If I want everything in a neat little row I'll go to a different site.

i think that's what he's trying to ask you to do.

*this thread brought to you by CFL(dotcom)

cheapseats
10-01-2008, 08:12 AM
i think that's what he's trying to ask you to do.

That makes the second time that you have mis-read me. No skin off my back, but if you have twice been wrong about me in a matter of days, one can suppose you're off some other marks as well.

cheapseats
10-01-2008, 08:16 AM

You, however, would constitute the Choir part of preaching to the choir.

Y'all don't have enough support to carry the day, I expect you noticed that during the primaries.

If you don't gain supporters, you don't win. If you don't WANT to attract more support, perhaps you don't WANT to win. Certainly that is true of radical wing-nut pie-in-the-sky do-gooder liberals...they don't want to win, they want to oppose, that's what they do. Opposition is Big Business.

Also, winning means the buck stops with you...then it's not about complaining, it's about fixing. Fixing is harder than complaining.

freelance
10-01-2008, 08:18 AM
Cheapseats,

Grassroots has become a dumping ground, especially since the end of the campaign. We were (well, the mods were) more disciplined during the campaign, but now it's kind of a free-for-all. Your point is well taken, but I supposed we're used to it.

The other thing is that things are moving a lot faster these days--disaster heaped on disaster, and people want others to know as quickly as possible.

Anyway, we're glad you're here.

Dorfsmith
10-01-2008, 08:22 AM

Y'all don't have enough support to carry the day, I expect you noticed that during the primaries.

If you don't gain supporters, you don't win. If you don't WANT to attract more support, perhaps you don't WANT to win. Certainly that is true of radical wing-nut pie-in-the-sky do-gooder liberals...they don't want to win, they want to oppose, that's what they do. Opposition is Big Business.

Also, winning means the buck stops with you...then it's not about complaining, it's about fixing. Fixing is harder than complaining.

Ron Paul forums is not the only site I hang out at. I come here for opinions and information and go other places to spread the word in a nice tidy way. Do you honestly think that a board with thousands of posters can be super organized. Give me a break :rolleyes:

Dorfsmith
10-01-2008, 08:24 AM
Fixing is harder than complaining.

Then why did you start this thread?

constituent
10-01-2008, 08:24 AM
That makes the second time that you have mis-read me. No skin off my back, but if you have twice been wrong about me in a matter of days, one can suppose you're off some other marks as well.

lol.

no skin off my back.

StilesBC
10-01-2008, 08:27 AM
We're Libertarians - we understand organized chaos.

constituent
10-01-2008, 08:27 AM

maybe i missed something, what's there to win?

and what's this "y'all" stuff?

you not a part of this movement (hence the name 'cheapseats' perhaps)?

So taking that in mind, why are you on here complaining?

(naaah, i haven't misread you at all)

Truth Warrior
10-01-2008, 08:28 AM
So Many Threads, So Many Loose Ends

So many individuals. ;)

constituent
10-01-2008, 08:28 AM
So many individuals. ;)

That's a problem for some people.

Pete
10-01-2008, 08:30 AM
The Grassroots section is pretty cluttered, so I mainly use it to look for news and action ideas. The other sub-sections are much more focused. The thread rating feature is helpful for prioritizing reading.

Please note that you can subscribe to threads. I also use the Advanced search function to find threads that I have commented on.

The forum works pretty well considering how many members it has. I agree that we can all help the mods by pointing out duplicate and misclassified threads, and making suggestions to noobs.

Truth Warrior
10-01-2008, 08:31 AM
That's a problem for some people. Just for the "collectivist" individuals.<IMHO> ;) :D

cheapseats
10-01-2008, 08:35 AM
The individuals who pride themselves on chaos and, well, individuality aren't getting the job done, I expect you've noticed.

That two bottom-of-the-barrel candidates are running neck-and-neck to preside over four more years of raping and pillaging rather confirms that NONE of the Opposition is gettin' the job done. That would be because each independent faction wants what it wants, to hell with everyone else. The Majority feel that way, of course. Trouble is, everyone wants something different.

Later, when the oh-so-quiet but supremely organized neoconservative influences install another marionette, "all" the opposition declares disbelief...separately.

constituent
10-01-2008, 08:38 AM
The individuals who pride themselves on chaos and, well, individuality aren't getting the job done, I expect you've noticed.

That two bottom-of-the-barrel candidates are running neck-and-neck to preside over four more years of raping and pillaging rather confirms that NONE of the Opposition is gettin' the job done. That would be because each independent faction wants what it wants, to hell with everyone else. The Majority feel that way, of course. Trouble is, everyone wants something different.

Later, when the oh-so-quiet but supremely organized neoconservative influences install another marionette, "all" the opposition declares disbelief...separately.

i'd say the entire problem is politicos and their would be social-climbing parasitic boot-lickers so dangerously eager to "win." (w/etf that means)

ron paul lost b/c he wanted to lose, blaming individuals on a forum for it is just ridiculous.

"meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Truth Warrior
10-01-2008, 08:39 AM

"Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. Chaos always defeats order because it is better organized." -- Terry Pratchett

cheapseats
10-01-2008, 08:46 AM
[QUOTE]The Grassroots section is pretty cluttered, so I mainly use it to look for news and action ideas. The other sub-sections are much more focused. The thread rating feature is helpful for prioritizing reading.

Please note that you can subscribe to threads. I also use the Advanced search function to find threads that I have commented on.

Excellent, thank you.

The forum works pretty well considering how many members it has. I agree that we can all help the mods by pointing out duplicate and misclassified threads, and making suggestions to noobs.

Indeed it does. And the concept of message boards is brilliant. Revolutionary, in point of fact.

But they're like any other tool or weapon. They can be waved freely and fruitlessly in the privacy of a back yard, or they can be purposefully employed to specific purpose.

Big Money is a get 'er done crowd.

Dorfsmith
10-01-2008, 08:48 AM
[QUOTE=Pete;1726817]

Excellent, thank you.

Indeed it does. And the concept of message boards is brilliant. Revolutionary, in point of fact.

But they're like any other tool or weapon. They can be waved freely and fruitlessly in the privacy of a back yard, or they can be purposefully employed to specific purpose.

So why not start a messageboard that "works"?

constituent
10-01-2008, 08:48 AM

care to elaborate?

constituent
10-01-2008, 08:49 AM
So why not start a messageboard that "works"?

"those who can do, and those who can't teach."

cheapseats
10-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Cheapseats,

Grassroots has become a dumping ground, especially since the end of the campaign. We were (well, the mods were) more disciplined during the campaign, but now it's kind of a free-for-all. Your point is well taken, but I supposed we're used to it.

The other thing is that things are moving a lot faster these days--disaster heaped on disaster, and people want others to know as quickly as possible.

Anyway, we're glad you're here.

I appreciate that.

Me, until the election is over, the campaign isn't over.

Our representatives, and now these candidates, have reversed themselves and contradicted themselves and hid themselves and profited themselves such that no judge who values his life will reject an overwhelming demand by the people for a meaningful Third Party alternative, present third-party options being manifestly unelectable.

THAT'S what I'm trying to find out...in the month that is left to us before the entire Campaign-O-Rama will have been so many wasted resources...whether the disgruntled Americans can focus on their commonality rather than their differences, and reach solidarity on a Compromise Candidate.

Otherwise, it's McCain or Obama...one worse than the other, differently.

Then I shall move to another country and I shall be held to have run from a fight...the irony that is life.

constituent
10-01-2008, 09:05 AM
I appreciate that.

Me, until the election is over, the campaign isn't over.

Our representatives, and now these candidates, have reversed themselves and contradicted themselves and hid themselves and profited themselves such that no judge who values his life will reject an overwhelming demand by the people for a meaningful Third Party alternative, present third-party options being manifestly unelectable.

THAT'S what I'm trying to find out...in the month that is left to us before the entire Campaign-O-Rama will have been so many wasted resources...whether the disgruntled Americans can focus on their commonality rather than their differences, and reach solidarity on a Compromise Candidate.

Otherwise, it's McCain or Obama...one worse than the other, differently.

Then I shall move to another country and I shall be held to have run from a fight...the irony that is life.

lemme guess, babar?

compromise(d) candidates are what got us here in the first place.

georgiaboy
10-01-2008, 09:07 AM
speaking of cleaning up loose ends, this thread probably belongs here:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=276

BTW, Cheapseats, I'm glad to have ya aboard. Your contributions have been well-informed and purposeful. Except maybe for this thread. :-)