PDA

View Full Version : Paulson as a High-Pressure Telemarketer

Chieftain1776
09-30-2008, 05:44 PM
Love this post (http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2008/09/paulson_as_a_hi.html) from http://econlog.econlib.org/:

Paulson as a High-Pressure Telemarketer
Bryan Caplan

A few years ago, I was tormented by an aggressive broker who kept calling me at 6 AM to sell me stocks. I always hung up on him; but even when I was slamming down the phone, I could still hear him shouting his sales pitch. So I found this eerily amusing:

This technique is one of the last ones in the the Shafiroff book. Once an aggressive retail broker is upside down, the plea goes out for raising more money from the mark client. "Believe me, I hate being under water more than you. I pulled in some favors, this is the trade that makes it all back for us and then some. I could even get in trouble telling you this, so don't mention this to your pals. This is the one -- but I need you to send in more capital so we can recoup the prior trades that went bad on us."

I guess Paulson read the book in the early days of his career. That line of bull***t is identical to what the public is now being fed. A series of OpEds in the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal (and who knows where else) are all pushing the same nonsensical line: The bailout plan is a big money maker...

Financial markets are always complicated. Now they're more complicated than ever. But the more complicated the world gets, the more you need to your common-sense skepticism.

In other words, when someone asks you for $700B for reasons he can't clearly explain, you hang up the phone.

cheapseats
09-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Love this post (http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2008/09/paulson_as_a_hi.html) from http://econlog.econlib.org/:

Paulson as a High-Pressure Telemarketer
Bryan Caplan

A few years ago, I was tormented by an aggressive broker who kept calling me at 6 AM to sell me stocks. I always hung up on him; but even when I was slamming down the phone, I could still hear him shouting his sales pitch. So I found this eerily amusing:

This technique is one of the last ones in the the Shafiroff book. Once an aggressive retail broker is upside down, the plea goes out for raising more money from the mark client. "Believe me, I hate being under water more than you. I pulled in some favors, this is the trade that makes it all back for us and then some. I could even get in trouble telling you this, so don't mention this to your pals. This is the one -- but I need you to send in more capital so we can recoup the prior trades that went bad on us."

I guess Paulson read the book in the early days of his career. That line of bull***t is identical to what the public is now being fed. A series of OpEds in the Washington Post and the Wall Street Journal (and who knows where else) are all pushing the same nonsensical line: The bailout plan is a big money maker...

Financial markets are always complicated. Now they're more complicated than ever. But the more complicated the world gets, the more you need to your common-sense skepticism.

In other words, when someone asks you for $700B for reasons he can't clearly explain, you hang up the phone.

Exactly so.

Salesmen know how to take 'no' for an answer, once they're sure 'no' IS the answer.

Let's play pretend.

Pretend a not-bailout bailout-called-rescue...rescue you not them, nudge nudge, wink wink...is rejected, period. Just Say No, the simplistic Nancy Reagan way.

What then?

The Bad Guys who either orchestrated or didn't anticipate this Crisis catch a plane to Dubai? I think not yet. Just because Congress never has a Plan B doesn't mean that Big Money doesn't. Big Money always has contingency plans...they've got big money on the line.

If they would allow any significant portion of the payroll of American Labor to go unmet, I feel certain someone will kill one of them. You know how they kept saying "have to" regarding Friday? They HAVE to have a recourse. They value nothing so much as themselves.

Who will they turn to? How will they pull it off? It will be magnificent to watch, I think...Big Money twisting Big Money's arm. Let's find out who the Players' Players are.

I say let it ride.