PDA

View Full Version : House limits emails from Constituents

angelatc
09-30-2008, 04:01 PM
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/house-limits-constituent-e-mails-to-prevent-crash-2008-09-30.html

House limits constituent e-mails to prevent crash
By Jordy Yager
Posted: 09/30/08 01:16 PM [ET]

The House is limiting e-mails from the public to prevent its websites from crashing due to the enormous amount of mail being submitted on the financial bailout bill.

As a result, some constituents may get a 'try back at a later time' response if they use the House website to e-mail their lawmakers about the bill defeated in the House on Monday in a 205-228 vote.

“We were trying to figure out a way that the House.gov website wouldn’t completely crash,” said Jeff Ventura, a spokesman for the Chief Administrative Office (CAO), which oversees the upkeep of the House website and member e-mail services.

The CAO issued a “Dear Colleague” letter Tuesday morning informing offices that it had placed a limit on the number of e-mails sent via the “Write Your Representative” function of the House website. It said the limit would be imposed during peak e-mail traffic hours.

“This measure has become temporarily necessary to ensure that Congressional websites are not completely disabled by the millions of e-mails flowing into the system,” the letter reads.

Ventura likened the problem to a bottleneck scenario on a highway, where multiple lanes of traffic converge into a smaller set of lanes. In that situation, some cars get to move forward while others have to remain at a standstill.

“What we had to do was basically install the digital equivalent of a traffic cop,” Ventura said. “It was a question of inconveniencing everybody or inconveniencing some people some of the time, while servicing other people the other half of the time.”

Member offices began to notice an overwhelming number of e-mails last week as the economy roiled and the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008, or “bailout package,” became of interest to millions of Americans. All the clogs in the traditional e-mail service have since been resolved, according to the CAO.

However, Ventura ventured that the problems on the House website might not be resolved until the economic package was finalized.

“We think we will see this spike [in Web traffic] until when and if another bill is hammered out,” Ventura said. “There’s going to be a lot of interest in this all week.”

The error message in its entirety reads:

“The House of Representatives is currently experiencing an extraordinarily high amount of e-mail traffic. The Write Your Representative function is therefore intermittently available. While we realize communicating to your Members of Congress is critical, we suggest attempting to do so at a later time, when demand is not so high. System engineers are working to resolve this issue and we appreciate your patience.”

OK - Let's see if we can crash the switchboard next!

anaconda
09-30-2008, 04:02 PM
All of my faxes are going through.

fedup100
09-30-2008, 04:05 PM
I hope 100 million place a tiny pitchfork in the mail tomorrow. Could we please get a chip in together to have a 100 million little pitchforks dumped over DC, I mean bury the sonsabitches until they are up to their ankles in little RED pitchforks!

nullvalu
09-30-2008, 04:08 PM
That is so awesome!! :D :D :D :D

Well, it sucks they're limiting it, but I love that people are being pro-active!

Chieftain1776
09-30-2008, 04:12 PM
So apropo that they can't even field email from their constituents in a crisis and yet believe they can rescue the country...PATHETIC!

BeFranklin
09-30-2008, 04:19 PM
This is crap. It isn't your representative that is limiting the email, its the Bush administration that is doing it so they don't know how we actual feel. That will allow talking heads to lie about it, same thing they did the last two weeks, telling us what we actually think.

me3
09-30-2008, 04:21 PM
So let me understand this. They have the capacity to launch nukes on short notice, to commit hundreds of thousands of troops to armed conflicts and to spend trillions of dollars, but they can't manage a basic email contact form?

These are the people who are going to come up with a plan to save the global economy and later, control global temperature?

The state truly is immoral and evil. And now we have proof, they can barely tie their shoelaces.

Kacey
09-30-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't buy it at all..... It stinks of lies, if this was the case would they not have had this issue before during other "issues" like that little one of Sept 11th??? I don't know about you but I wrote my reps allot after during that time.

Oh and maybe instead of buying junk on the market they should get a few more servers and a load balancer or two LOL

edit again. I have noticed that they are havening"issues" with the senates site as well... I have only been able to contact one senator all day.

Sarge
09-30-2008, 04:28 PM
Pitchfork emails?

ihsv
09-30-2008, 04:33 PM
The NSA can't keep up with the censoring, so they have to put us on hold while they catch up.

fedup100
09-30-2008, 04:39 PM
Pitchfork emails?

You mean email pitchforks......big red ones, nothing else on the page

georgiaboy
09-30-2008, 04:41 PM
HAAHAaHaa HAA HAHHH HHHAHAHAHAHA HAaaahhh...

Hey Media, who's sending all these MILLIONS of emails to these Congressional servers?

Oh, yeah, Internet Terrorists. Looks like we've got MILLIONS of Internet Terrorists out there!

Sarge
09-30-2008, 04:54 PM
Yup!

You are wise on the pick up.

cheapseats
09-30-2008, 05:24 PM
When we get 'round to drawing up a Redress Of Grievances...

Whereas they have done this, whereas they engage in that, whereas they neglect the other thing?

Whereas they have contrived to sequester themselves from contact and appeal by the electorate...

lucius
09-30-2008, 05:39 PM
All of my faxes are going through.

+1

afmatt
09-30-2008, 05:46 PM
+1

+535 ;):d

Dave39168
09-30-2008, 05:58 PM
700 Billion and these guys can't afford a server to support their email....