PDA

View Full Version : In an ideal world...

tangent4ronpaul
09-30-2008, 03:04 PM
Lets try this again...

I wrote this thing this morning. Sept 30th, 2008

Please send this as a letter to the editor of your local paper and to your Congress critter! Make this thing go viral! - DIGG it! Call in the talking points to talk radio.

Thanks,

- Tangent

------------8<--------------
In an ideal world...

Dear Congress,

I regret to inform you that your legislation, bill number ___________ has been vetoed for the following reason(s): (check all that apply)

____ It violates section(s) ________ of the Constitution.
____ It violates the ________ amendment(s) of the Bill of Rights
____ It contains unfunded mandates.
____ It violates PayGo. Spending money you do not have does not wash!
____ It fails to allocate $1 toward paying off the National Debt for every $1 spent on the topic of legislation.
____ It contains earmarks.
____ The length of the bill exceeds 20 pages, so most of you probably didn't read it before voting for it..
____ It contains fancy language or legaleze that would confuse a 8th grader.
____ It contains corporate welfare.
____ It contains sole source contracts.
____ It was written by lobbyists.
____ It benefits certain businesses in an industry at the expense of others in that industry or the public.
____ It modifies a word or phrase in a previous law. If you want to modify a law, you must review it's effects to date, abolish it and pass a new law as a replacement for it.
____ It increases taxes
____ It increases the size and scope of the federal government.
____ It perpetrates extortion on the state governments. Examples would be withholding funds if certain (generally unfunded) mandates are not adopted.
____ It encourages or extends dependence by state governments on the federal government.
____ The title of the bill is diametrically opposite or deceptive to the actual effect the legislation will have. The classic example would be the “Patriot Act”(sic).
____ The author, sponsor or co-sponsors have previously held a executive position(s) in an industry the legislation effects.
____ Over 2% of your constituents have contacted your offices objecting to the bill – on average.
____ You have failed to review and abolish two obsolete laws in order to make room for a new law.
____ You failed to review and abolish the laws the people found most objectionable, as determined by petition in order to make room for this new law.
____ It spends a penny of the so called “surplus” of the “deficit” - that is money left over from collecting taxes that is not paid out as interest on the national debt. I expect your usual tactics of changing the language to call this “deficit” to something else – whatever you call it – the rules apply! - NO MORE GAMES! This is not an excuse for a spending orgy – like in past years. You will live within your budget and a return here is not an excuse for a spending orgy.
____ Other (explain) __________________________________________________ _____________

As an aside, I can not tell you how delighted I am that due to the poor votes by roughly half of The House on the recent so called “bailout” that was opposed by 80% of the public – many of you will be getting pink slips come November. A country run by waitresses, cops and small business owners has a much better chance of recovering than one run by lawyers and multi-millionaires/billionaires, and former corporate CEO's. You are the people that created these problems and we would be much better off without you. When considering your previous votes on things like the Patriot act, the Iraq war, The Military Commissions Act and the FISA laws – hopefully most of you will get FIRED!

Thank you,

The United States President

slothman
09-30-2008, 03:25 PM
At least 2 problems:
If it is confusing to an 8th grader then how can I read it.
Yes I am older than that but most laws are have too much legaleze.
If it is too long, e.g. the USAPATRIOT act, then how can I read it to determine the rest of the questions?

P.S.
I read on Slashdot that someone spelled the act as the U SAP I RIOT act.
What that means I don't know.
But is it funny.

P.P.S.
Can you give an example of a smaller bill/law to try this on?

tangent4ronpaul
09-30-2008, 05:21 PM
They are reasons to veto a bill.

-t