PDA

View Full Version : Help me respond to this pro-bailout argument

MRoCkEd
09-30-2008, 02:24 PM
problem solved, thanks

Mahkato
09-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Well, there's a reason that tuition rates have risen faster than general inflation for several decades now. Government grants and government-subsidized loans. Students bringing more money to the table meant that schools could raise their prices much faster than ordinary market forces could have. As credit and grants dry up, schools will be forced to return to market prices.

nate895
09-30-2008, 02:43 PM
There are too many college educated folks out there right now anyway. Do you really think we need so many people attending college? There are so many people that have a college degree that they are now pretty much worthless. You don't need a degree for half the jobs they ask to have one for nowadays.

Look at the idiots who go to college. Higher education is for 1) the intellectually gifted, 2) the wealthy, not any bozo who wants one.

werdd
09-30-2008, 02:48 PM
Can anyone help me with a response to this

The reason why tuition rates are so high is because the loans have inflated the cost of school.

In a recession, one of the first things to plummet will be the "education bubble".

Caused by schools demanding rediculously high prices, where kids are willing to take loans that even once they work in their profession, will take many years to pay off.

So yeah, recession = the school bubble pops = cheaper school.

pacelli

College and graduate school tuition is out of control and the price needs to be lowered so students won't need to rely on student loans. The author talks about hubris and greed-- what about the greed of private universities?

micahnelson

Lower your prices, work out payment plans, or die. It's called economics. Please talk to your economics department. If you don't have anyone other than central planner types there, then you might want to reduce your staff and use the excess money to hire a real live capitalist to explain it to you and the offspring that have been entrusted to you.

Do you honestly think banks will lend this money they are given? They have been given access to untold billions through the Federal Reserve, including close to 700b on the day the Congressional Bailout failed. They are using the money to cover reserves.

There is a price to pay for decadence, arrogance, hubris, and corruption. We did not make this bed, but we will sleep in it. Our consolation will be knowing that the Sons of the Most high bankers will see trust funds evaporate, fortunes lost, and wealth built on lies decimated.

Shame on them for creating an economy where people create money from thin air for mortgage lending and profit from the practice in exponentially greater sums than the men who toil to build the house.

Shame on them for abandoning the individuals right to keep what they earn in the name of fairness, while we watch taxpayer bailed out CEOs keep their millions and rescue plans orchestrated by the very fiends who dealt us this hand.

Shame on them for preaching about family values, while forcing households to bring in two incomes- destroying the fabric of the home and damning our children to be raised by television and public education. The number one cause of divorce in America after all, is disputes over money.

And also, shame on us. Shame on us for sitting silently while it happened. Well we are turning ourselves in. The fraud is over. We will suffer a reccession certainly, and perhaps a full market crash. This is the price for decades of fraud.

It is now up to us to insure this does not happen again. We must have sound currency, limited government, and an end to our unsustainable empire in order to come out of this stronger.

The American system of credit is not worth saving if it means we must once again place our children's future on the line that reads "Collateral".

MRoCkEd
09-30-2008, 02:52 PM
thanks everyone

Mini-Me
09-30-2008, 02:54 PM
I made an anti-bailout post here that you might want to look at:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1723571&postcount=85

I didn't address student loans in particular, but the bottom line is: Yes, students will have problems getting loans when credit is tight. That's just the way things work, and the government cannot ever magically make things better without introducing some severe and disastrous side effects. Inflationary policies and centralized management of credit are what caused this crash in the first place, and we will not do ourselves any favors by trying to save ourselves with more of the same policies (but at a more frantic pace). If we go ahead with bailouts, we'll make the next crash worse on everyone, including students, and it won't be all that far out either. The dollar is tanking, and there's a question more important than whether students are going to get loans in the near future: A few years from now, are these people even going to be able to make ends meet at all?

MRoCkEd
09-30-2008, 02:55 PM
In conclusion, government=fail.