PDA

View Full Version : Have You Contacted Your Congressman Today?

Dorfsmith
09-30-2008, 01:36 PM
Post here if you have contacted your Congressman today. I'm curious to see if we've run out of steam or not.

I contacted Rick Renzi this morning and thanked him for voting no.

Cinderella
09-30-2008, 01:41 PM
James P. McGovern contacted....sigh he voted yes....i dont think its much use but i tried...

Carole
09-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Called mine and several others at the request of posters. Called a few extra ones and will continue calling others tomorrow. :D

Sarge
09-30-2008, 01:50 PM
CNN just said the Capitol crash was from people still protesting the bailout.

Captain America
09-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Just called Mike Doyle 14 District of PA, he voted yes. I told the woman that i voted for him in the past and will not vote for him again unless he votes no on the next bill.

polomertz
09-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Called, E-mailed, & Faxed Jan Schakowsky in disgust over her yes vote.

olehounddog
09-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Called and e-mailed Virginia Foxx to congratulate, praise and to tell her she was a patriot. Keep up the good work and she had my full support.:D

E-mailed Sen. Burr and Dole to see if it was true that the senate was goig to attach the bailout bill to another piece of legislation. Then send that back to the house for approval.:mad::mad::mad:

cheapseats
09-30-2008, 02:07 PM
We are free still to hold as tight to opinions and as Big Shots are to hold tightly to Midas-like fortunes, which is conceptually good. Freedom is good. But what manner of people have we become? I am astonished afresh by the Uber Rich, disgusted that the tippy-top of the Top One Percent is sitting silently in their counting house, waiting for Deals while we anguish over our insolvency.

They may not be traitors, but they are unspeakable cheapskates.

I will propose a word problem, such as one might (and I contend ought) to learn how to solve in our excellent public school system. I know many object to public education, both to the expense and the obligation of it, but I implore them to re-visit their positions. The only thing more dangerous and more unruly than Bad Guys is Ignorant Masses.

Secretary Paulson, who we have every reason to suspect of malfeasance, deems that the markets MUST have an infusion of at least $700 billion. We’re not sure whether that’s the $700 billion that was funneled on schedule, while millions of people were distractedly making urgent and heartfelt appeals to their elected representatives NOT to do exactly that. I will assume that $700 billion is still the skeletal price of admission.

Inspiring wider positive impact on the Market, Warren Buffet invested $5 billion dollars last week in floundering Goldman Sachs. It being so strikingly coincidental, it seems worth noting that Secretary Paulson was CEO of Goldman Sachs before he became “secretary” of the Treasury of the United States of America. Also that, until yesterday anyway, he was estimated to be worth more than SEVEN HUNDRED MILLION DOLLARS.

Wall Street higher on Buffet’s Goldman investment

www.chinaview.cn 2008-09-24 22:06:59

NEW YORK, Sept. 24 (Xinhua) — Wall Street climbed in early trading Wednesday, after Goldman Sachs won 5 billion U.S. dollars investment from Warren Buffet’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc.

Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway said Tuesday it would invest at least 5 billion dollars in preferred stock of Goldman Sachs. In addition, Berkshire also got warrants to buy another 5 billion dollars in Goldman’s common stock. Meanwhile, Goldman also said late Tuesday it would raise another 2.5 billion dollars in its equity offering.

The news bolstered confidence in the nation’s banking system and sent shares of Goldman Sachs and major indexes higher.

Moreover, the market also awaited progress in the U.S. government’s financial rescue package. Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke are scheduled to appear before Congress for a second day Wednesday on a 700-billion-dollar bailout plan to rescue financial services firms.

Oil prices perked up Wednesday. Light, sweet crude for November delivery rose 2.49 dollars to 109.10 dollars a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Editor: Yao

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-09/24/content_10104824.htm

In 2007, we topped the charts with 449 American billionaires. I spy a new Olympic event…Money Changing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_the_number_of_billionaires

Russia came in a distant second, with 87. Nowhere, not on the list of countries by number of billionaires, not on the list of the heads of government and state by net worth, does China appear…which speaks trillions.

It is reasonable to suppose that several more billionaires were “made” in 2008. It is equally reasonable to suppose, particularly after yesterday, that several have been knocked off their pedestals…which is NOT to say out of their Ivory Towers.

If you were worth $50 million last month and you’re worth $25 million this week…and make no mistake, there ARE such people…I’m not gonna lie, that’s a hit. Not a heartbreaker, except for the Loser. It surely doesn’t warrant government intervention but, equally surely, that’s a hit that will command a few life changes.

One of the tricks to word problems is sorting through what’s relevant and what’s not. That last paragraph…while provocative on its face and key, I think, to some bigger picture issues…has no bearing on the word problem. Nor, I happen to already know, does the next paragraph.

In what used to be called Generally Accepted Accounting Practices, it is customary to round down…to be conservative.

It is not conservative to assume a basic monthly nut of, say, $3179 against a salary of $36,000 per year by deluding yourself that they both constitute “basically,” “roughly,” “right about,” “pretty much exactly,” $3000 per month.

It is conservative to suppose that there are 400 American billionaires.

X = $5 billion, the value of Warren Buffet’s investment in Goldman Sachs.

Y = 400, the number of American billionaires.

Z = number of American billionaires making same investment as Warren Buffet

Part I:

Does America have enough billionaires that, if they each invested the same amount that Warren Buffet invested, it would collectively constitute a cash infusion of $700 billion and, if so, how many American billionaires who largely made their billions off of America would have to step up the plate of Service To Country?

PART II:

The original not-a-bailout bailout was deemed to be necessary “by” last Friday or hellfire and damnation upon us. Others hold that the first of the month/payroll i.e. tomorrow is the date by which, without cash infusion, hellfire and damnation upon us. The original bill was not passed by last Friday, nor did hellfire and damnation rain down. Do you have enough information to determine whether claims about the first of the month are true?

PART III:

Setting the language of the Constitution aside but bearing in mind only highest principles, write a paragraph on whether those who are established upon an incomprehensibly high socioeconomic plane might reasonably be expected under the implied Social Contract to exercise largesse at times of particular societal distress. Send it to the people who are well paid, by you, to claim they represent you.

http://peaceandcarats.com/

grizzums
09-30-2008, 02:11 PM
Called and emailed the traitor Congressman Larsen today. Haven't heard back. Also contacted Senators Murray and Cantwell by email and well, they NEVER answer back so I called them and reminded their aides who the F*** they actually work for!

-lotus-
09-30-2008, 02:16 PM
called hunter, boxer, feinstein, issa, bilbray and thanked/admonished them as needed.

billjarrett
09-30-2008, 02:21 PM
Emailed/Faxed Melissa Bean twice today.

One condemning her vote yesterday, saying she better not be on board with bringing the bailout back from the dead.

One telling her we don't want the bailout bill, but we would be on board if the bill read basically like the points at http://www.campaignforliberty.com/blog/?p=648 (Didn't link, just paraphrased)

RockEnds
09-30-2008, 02:24 PM
yes

Dorfsmith
09-30-2008, 02:40 PM
Just called congressman John Campbell for being such an ass on KNX radio. He is dead set on getting a bailout bill passed. :mad:

Campbell, John CA 48th (202) 225-5611

BagOfEyebrows
09-30-2008, 03:41 PM
I've got kind of the perfect political storm going on in my area... I called my congresswoman yesterday to thank her for her no vote - she's a Democrat. She is up for re-election this year.

I've got 2 Republican Senators. One of them isn't saying which way he will vote... he is up for re-election this year.

The other Senator isn't up for election this year, and he is actually part of the committee working on 'negotiations' trying to get this thing passed! I nearly fell of my computer chair listening to his website audio of his yapping for it.

So, I called both Senate offices - got through on both (had a lot of busy signals yesterday for both of them.) Told both the staffers for both Senators that our Democrat Congresswoman voted nay, and that if they went and voted aye, it would end up working more in favor of more Democrats being elected this year. The people of this state do not want this bill, no matter which party they are from, as a majority. You can't be in a grocery store line or in a waiting room without hearing people voice outrage at the bailout/'rescue' plan.

I wrote a webform letter to the Republican Senator who is up for re-election this year and asked him to contact the Senator who isn't up for vote this particular year and told him to tell the negotiating-Senator that our State law and constitution has a procedure for any elected official to be removed from office by bringing them up on charges of breaking state laws and violating their oath of office. I expressed my hope that this up-for-election Sentator would go try to educate the other Senator on economics, state law, and how important it is to listen to constituents - and I pleaded with him to vote nay when the time comes.

I haven't heard back from any of them in person yet, but many staffers have said they are getting 'thousands of calls' on this... probably will take quite some time, but I'll probably just get the usual form letter that goes out to all constituents. I still did my best to treat them person-to-person, even when I know that the odds are high that I'll just be treated as a block of voters and not an individual.

Eventually, though, I figure each of us should have any elected official that votes 'aye' on this, in the house or senate, get invited to each and every Town Hall (where possible) to listen to the people's reactions to what they did to their constituents, their state and their nation. We can actually demand that of our elected officials, to attend a local meeting - they are, at all times, accountable to us (it's in State Constitutions.) Bringing it local, and maybe having each town/city Sheriff there as a witness, and citing state laws broken, by article... would be great. Would educate them all, and allow us all to vent our frustration in a positive way, and perhaps lead to our elected officials learning the rule of law and being better representatives of us, of our form of government, and for future generations to come.

Promoting HR 2755 is also the best idea I've seen out there yet - doing it on local levels, like an emergency town meeting where we can explain the Federal Reserve to folks... this might be a most opportune time to do that.

People are really, really, REALLY angry about this particular bill. I work at a place where people are in and out all day as customers... it's incredible to witness people waking up all at once, so much more every day.

anaconda
09-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Apparently there are approximately 38 vulnerable incumbents:

Of these, 30 voted "No" and 8 voted "Yes." So perhaps these are essential Reps. to either thank or send the "You're fired" notice to:

Here's the list, as near as I can tell:

No's

AZ-05 (Mitchell)
AZ-08 (Giffords)
IN-09 (Hill)
KS-02 (Boyda)
KY-03 (Yarmuth)
MS-01 (Childers)
NH-01 (Shea-Porter)
NY-20 (Gillibrand)
PA-04 (Altmire)
PA-10 (Carney)
WI-08 (Kagen)
CO-04 (Musgrave)
FL-24 (Feeney)
LA-06 (Cazayoux)
MI-07 (Walberg)
TX-22 (Lampson)
FL-08 (Keller)
WA-08 (Reichert)
FL-25 (M. Diaz-Balart)
ID-01 (Sali)
MI-09 (Knollenberg)
MO-06 (Graves)
NC-08 (Hayes)
NY-29 (Kuhl)
OH-01 (Chabot)
OH-02 (Schmidt)
PA-03 (English)
VA-02 (Drake)
AK-AL (Young)
FL-21 (L. Diaz-Balart)

"Yes" traitors

CA-11 (McNerney)
FL-16 (Mahoney)
GA-08 (Marshall)
IL-14 (Foster)
CT-04 (Shays)
NV-03 (Porter)
PA-11 (Kanjorski)
IL-10 (Kirk)

OF COURSE IT GOES WITHOUT SAYING THAT WE SHOULD ALSO TRY TO INFLUENCE ALL OF THE OTHERS REPRESENTATIVES, TOO! THEIR SEATS MAY BE MORE VULNERABLE THAN THEY REALIZE! CONTACT AS MANY AS YOU HAVE TIME FOR WITH THANKS FOR "NO" AND "YOU'RE FIRED" FOR "YES."

-lotus-
09-30-2008, 03:55 PM
Just called congressman John Campbell for being such an ass on KNX radio. He is dead set on getting a bailout bill passed. :mad:

Campbell, John CA 48th (202) 225-5611

hah i called him yesterday and bitched at his assistant. i asked what is he thinking? does he want to commit political suicide? and his assistant said "I dont know what hes thinking'. lol

Dorfsmith
09-30-2008, 03:55 PM
hah i called him yesterday and bitched at his assistant. i asked what is he thinking? does he want to commit political suicide? and his assistant said "I dont know what hes thinking'. lol

lol. That's funny :D

tpreitzel
09-30-2008, 04:38 PM
Let me take my periodic shot at the 17th amendment. If only the state legislatures had a say in this idiotic matter! With that out of the way, I contacted Senator Enzi's office earlier this morning and I just contacted Senator Barrasso's office. Each time, I keep modifying and adding a bit more of the puzzle to my monologue. ;) Although voting has been suspended temporarily, sneaky and devious suckers like Pelosi and Frank must be hard at work with their counterparts in the Senate.

ShowMeLiberty
09-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Faxed Sam Graves this morning with a thank you & plz continue to vote no & listen to Dr. Paul message. He's on the list of "vulnerable incumbents" and represents my district. :)

I also sent a thank you & etc. to Congressman Emanuel Cleaver, even though I'm not in his district and he's a Democrat. Just wanted to let him know he did the right thing and I hope he continues doing it.

rockandrollsouls
09-30-2008, 05:09 PM
I've been bombarding my horrible representatives. Anyone want to help me work on Saxton (NJ).