PDA

View Full Version : Wierd that the forums went down before they announced text vote. Hmmm. I'm not saying

Scribbler de Stebbing
09-05-2007, 09:41 PM
Wierd that the forums went down before they announced text vote. Hmmm. I'm not saying . . .

Santana28
09-06-2007, 01:22 AM
i agree completely. the last 3 times the server has went down were what? the straw poll, this debate, and the last debate? correct me if i'm wrong.

it stinks to high hell of a test of our true organizational abilities...

Paulitician
09-06-2007, 01:27 AM
I'm pretty sure it has everything to do with the server, bandwith and the amount of people who start reading the forums when these events happen. It's not a conspiracy, just technical problems.

PennCustom4RP
09-06-2007, 01:43 AM
I'm pretty sure it has everything to do with the server, bandwith and the amount of people who start reading the forums when these events happen. It's not a conspiracy, just technical problems.

Agreed...we all want to follow the debate and post as it happens, overloading the server, just as it happened during the Ames event,...frustrating no doubt...but what can ya do?

Santana28
09-06-2007, 01:51 AM

doesn't mean someone can't turn up the volume intentionally, does it? i think it makes sense. but thats just me.

john_anderson_ii
09-06-2007, 01:56 AM
I'm a sysadmin for the largest internet credit card processor, and one of the biggest web hosting providers.

If you are having hosting problems, PM me, and I'll see if I can work out a dedicated server arrangement and a decent amount of bandwidth gratis. We mirror all sorts of OSS projects, so an open government project shouldn't be too difficult to put past a few VPs.

leipo
09-06-2007, 02:08 AM
Yes, i'm sure it's from the overwhelming amount of people logging in at the same time. But i sure hope we can prevent this the next time.

hard@work
09-06-2007, 02:23 AM
Gremlins. Midnight, food, you know the deal.

blazin_it_alwyz
09-06-2007, 06:00 AM
yeah this forum needs to stop going down at the most important times. The Iowa straw poll? this forum was down FOR DAYS...

And now this time, the forum is down again....... exactly who are you hosted with guys?

Seriously, you guys should put up like 1 ad on the side of the page, and have that money going towards getting a solid hoster, there isn't any reason you guys should be going down that often. What if someone is curious and wants to convert, and decides to visit this site? They can't, cuz it's down....

You guys should really consider putting an add or something on this page. It would pay for PROPER HOSTING, and you might have money left over to donate to the cause of Ron Paul, I don't see why you can't do it.......

constituent
09-06-2007, 06:54 AM
Gremlins. Midnight, food, you know the deal.

:D :D :D

JoshLowry
09-06-2007, 07:05 AM
yeah this forum needs to stop going down at the most important times. The Iowa straw poll? this forum was down FOR DAYS...

And now this time, the forum is down again....... exactly who are you hosted with guys?

Seriously, you guys should put up like 1 ad on the side of the page, and have that money going towards getting a solid hoster, there isn't any reason you guys should be going down that often. What if someone is curious and wants to convert, and decides to visit this site? They can't, cuz it's down....

You guys should really consider putting an add or something on this page. It would pay for PROPER HOSTING, and you might have money left over to donate to the cause of Ron Paul, I don't see why you can't do it.......

We are hosted with SoftLayer.com and have a dedicated server for $179 a month. We make around $200 a month from adsense revenue so that puts us in the black. The ads are at the bottom of threads.

I really doubt that the server can't handle 400 - 500 people on it although maybe I am wrong. Can most dedicated servers handle that big of a load?

It crashed at the straw poll due to a hard drive failure so there wasn't much I could do to stop that as I was in Iowa at the time sans computer. Last night there was a database error and it was corrected rather easily it was just a matter of me pushing the right buttons that took so long.

I'm not sure what the best solution is but I am pretty sure that it involves an IT guy volunteering to help us out that is vouched for by many RP supporters.

constituent
09-06-2007, 07:13 AM
josh- do you still have the threads post-iowa when everyone was volunteering to help?

perhaps a search of those records would be good for generating IT leads?

blazin_it_alwyz
09-06-2007, 07:24 AM
LOL I just asked around, SoftLayer is considered A JOKE. Lots of disconnections, Tech support isn't around late at night.....

Because the forum has gone down for that long, I was just under the impression that you hosted it on a computer from one of you guys houses, but if you guys are paying 179 for hosting a month, that is UNACCEPTABLE, I pay about 10 bucks a month for shared and there is absolutely no way a site of mine would be done for that long EVER, doesn't matter if it is 3 am in the morning. The best hosters have a 99% uptime rate guaranteed, if your not getting 99% uptime, it's time to change hosters seriously.

Even if it went down, especially since you have a dedicated, they should of had a back up disk so that they can restore your site on another computer.

I would be interested in what exactly this company is offering you for 179 a month, if that were to happen to me, I would ask a refund for the whole month back and I would probably get it too.

Anyways, you should be getting something like this

Fast Dual Core Intel Pentium 4 Processors
3200GB Premium Multi-Homed Bandwidth (1600in + 1600out)
1GB DDR SDRAM
2 x 120GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
Linux - CentOS 4
Cpanel/WHM (With Rvskin)
Pre-Installed Script Library
Fully Managed
100% Network Uptime Guarantee

Notice the 100% Network Uptime Guarantee? Also the guys I know that offer this, have been in the game for a couple of years, like maybe 100, and are well known. If you are interested, pm me I can step you through a lot of this stuff, after all I am a geek.

They would have you transferred over seriously like by TONIGHT, they are that good.

Bryan
09-06-2007, 07:38 AM
Everything Josh has looks very sound. We already had one good IT guy on the forum do a quick check last night, he runs a very bush forum as well (non Ron Paul related).

Bryan
09-06-2007, 07:41 AM
LOL I just asked around, SoftLayer is considered A JOKE. Lots of disconnections, Tech support isn't around late at night.....

Because the forum has gone down for that long, I was just under the impression that you hosted it on a computer from one of you guys houses, but if you guys are paying 179 for hosting a month, that is UNACCEPTABLE, I pay about 10 bucks a month for shared and there is absolutely no way a site of mine would be done for that long EVER, doesn't matter if it is 3 am in the morning. The best hosters have a 99% uptime rate guaranteed, if your not getting 99% uptime, it's time to change hosters seriously.

Even if it went down, especially since you have a dedicated, they should of had a back up disk so that they can restore your site on another computer.

I would be interested in what exactly this company is offering you for 179 a month, if that were to happen to me, I would ask a refund for the whole month back and I would probably get it too.

Anyways, you should be getting something like this

Fast Dual Core Intel Pentium 4 Processors
3200GB Premium Multi-Homed Bandwidth (1600in + 1600out)
1GB DDR SDRAM
2 x 120GB 7200RPM SATA / 8MB Cache
Linux - CentOS 4
Cpanel/WHM (With Rvskin)
Pre-Installed Script Library
Fully Managed
100% Network Uptime Guarantee

Notice the 100% Network Uptime Guarantee? Also the guys I know that offer this, have been in the game for a couple of years, like maybe 100, and are well known. If you are interested, pm me I can step you through a lot of this stuff, after all I am a geek.

They would have you transferred over seriously like by TONIGHT, they are that good.
Thanks for helping. I think the site should run with RAID drives and auto daily back-ups. Do these guys have that?

blazin_it_alwyz
09-06-2007, 07:46 AM
LOL! I didn't mean 100 years, my bad :D

Um I'll ask them, they get back to me VERY FAST