PDA

View Full Version : 09/30/08 Bank Run?

Wyle
09-29-2008, 12:40 PM
Wondering... If the market does a crazy nose dive in this next hour to -800 or -1000... who here thinks we see a sheeple bank run tomorrow after everyone goes home and has time to digest the news? Think about it...

Cinderella
09-29-2008, 12:51 PM
they may...after all the fear mongering i wouldnt be surprised

Created4
09-29-2008, 01:07 PM
What we need to remind people is that the market was tanking already BEFORE the vote, when everyone said it was going to pass. Passing it would not have saved the market. It may have hastened it a day or two (not passing the bill), but at least without a law giving the government the right to buy up private institutions with taxpayer dollars. Kudos to the house members who stood their ground and represented their constituents. But nothing has really changed. The government will continue to intervene anyway, as they were before this, and the Fed will most likely continue printing more money.

Wyle
09-29-2008, 01:10 PM
I understand that the market was going to tank anyways... but but average joe blow don't know that. I Dont think they are going to care how the market was going to tank prior... they are just going to look at there account and want to make sure they have access to their money... I guess we will see in a couple hours.

lessgov2007
09-29-2008, 01:12 PM
If I actually had some of those fiat notes I'd likely take them out of the bank. However, this slave has no job and is not being a good slave. Actually, I think I do have 70 something cents in my account. If I take it out Wachovia might fail...

unconsious767
09-29-2008, 01:14 PM
How come the curbs didnt kick in...

Wyle
09-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Take out the limit and go buy some silver .. paper will be useless :)

Malakai
09-29-2008, 01:32 PM
The fact is these financial and banking corps were falling anyway, and they got an artificial boost (and influx of rich investors looking to make a lot off profit off the bailout gains) from the news of the bailout.

phoenixrising
09-29-2008, 01:43 PM
it dropped as much as almost 700 points *before* the vote! ...& that was at the time the fed reserve poured $$$$ into the market!

cheapseats
09-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Psychologically and economically, it would be an excellent time for Americans NOT to withdraw cash willy nilly. Reward those House Members who held the line...unlike the Senate who turns reliably Roman where the rubber meets the road...with a public vote of confidence in our ability to break our OWN fall.

Savings are in order. Less than zero savings is the problem.

I understand and appreciate that many here favor radical transformation of our money and banking. But radical transformation is seldom the Change that is wanted, needed, feasible or desirable. The people who are nearest the edge are least well positioned to "sensibly" jump into precious metals.

Since we DO have designer monopoly money and since we DON'T want the Easy On Elite/Tough On Taxpayers "solution" of THEIR concoction, why NOT everybody sit still and take a deep breath?

The nature of the market is like the nature of the mind is like the nature of water is TOWARD clarity, I think. Let a glass of dirty water sit still...the dirt and the water will separate. The dirt will settle. The water will clarify. Very helpful in not inadvertently throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Cowlesy
09-29-2008, 01:45 PM
% wise we aren't down that much really.

P.S. Wachovia already failed :)

micahnelson
09-29-2008, 01:47 PM

I would like your useless paper.

Checkbook money will be useless. Reserve Notes will have value for the time being.

If there is a run, there will be a bank holiday. During that time the printing presses will go nuts and "stock" the banks. The people will get their money. This is where your dollars become worthless.

Printed dollars will have value for a while.

cheapseats
09-29-2008, 01:50 PM
IF WE DIDN’T PANIC AFTER 9/11
WE DON’T NEED TO PANIC NOW
The downturn is not new…except for them.

cheapseats
09-29-2008, 02:06 PM
l

THE BIG BOYS ARE PLAYING CHICKEN
HE WHO FLINCHES BUYS TOXIC DEBT

cheapseats
09-29-2008, 02:11 PM
l

INVITE PATRIOTIC UBER RICH
TO START BUYING 'BY FRIDAY'
Or we'll hike the Estate Tax.

cheapseats
09-29-2008, 04:01 PM
l

PEOPLE AND HOUSE SHOW NERVES OF STEEL
WALL ST., SENATE & MSM NEED TO BUCK UP

cheapseats
09-29-2008, 04:04 PM
% wise we aren't down that much really.

This is super important.

Sometimes the absolute best you can do is to minimize losses. In the Big Leagues, as in Life.

tpreitzel
09-29-2008, 04:16 PM
The C4L website says that the House of Representatives could vote on this bill AGAIN as early as Thursday. Will these suckers ever go into recess for the year BEFORE they can do more damage? We still need to pressure our senators as well. Start tomorrow. You can celebrate tonight the temporary victory. We need to make this victory permanent!

freelance
09-29-2008, 04:26 PM
After cleaning out our accounts a few weeks back, we got a scheduled EFT today, and when I went to withdraw it, the teller said, "You want it all." I looked at the check and said, "Why yes, that's what it says right here on this piece of paper." We left 17˘ in, so I guess it wasn't all of it.

See, I'll tell YOU what I want, and if it's in my account, it is YOUR job to give it to ME! Have you got that straight? :eek:

cheapseats
09-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Bear in mind that a run on the banks tomorrow might incline the Holdout House to pass the NEXT rendition of the bill.

They are up against the biggest of the Big. They cannot hold the line by themselves.

ShowMeLiberty
09-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Psychologically and economically, it would be an excellent time for Americans NOT to withdraw cash willy nilly. Reward those House Members who held the line...unlike the Senate who turns reliably Roman where the rubber meets the road...with a public vote of confidence in our ability to break our OWN fall.

I understand and appreciate that many here favor radical transformation of our money and banking. But radical transformation is seldom the Change that is wanted, needed, feasible or desirable. The people who are nearest the edge are least well positioned to "sensibly" jump into precious metals.

Since we DO have designer monopoly money and since we DON'T want the Easy On Elite/Tough On Taxpayers "solution" of THEIR concoction, why NOT everybody sit still and take a deep breath?

The nature of the market is like the nature of the mind is like the nature of water is TOWARD clarity, I think. Let a glass of dirty water sit still...the dirt and the water will separate. The dirt will settle. The water will clarify. Very helpful in not inadvertently throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I'm a fan of cheapseats. :)

As ususal, your comments are thoughful and logical. I agree once again.

mysticgeek
09-29-2008, 05:10 PM

Buy physical metals! Not the certificates.

phoenixrising
09-29-2008, 05:34 PM
Bear in mind that a run on the banks tomorrow might incline the Holdout House to pass the NEXT rendition of the bill.

They are up against the biggest of the Big. They cannot hold the line by themselves.

if people just remain calm...we CAN get through it...no need to go into panic mode. & as u said i agree it would possibly be the prompt they are looking for to muster up 12 votes on a new bill for voting.

we've GOT to keep the pressure up--no bailout of any kind.

& for goodness sake no *burps* like a run... to give booshie (who is po'd now fer sure!) a reason the exercise his damn "statements"!

Leroy_Jenkems
09-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Wondering... If the market does a crazy nose dive in this next hour to -800 or -1000... who here thinks we see a sheeple bank run tomorrow after everyone goes home and has time to digest the news? Think about it...

There's a very good chance, just like the retards here in the southeast who made a run on the gas pumps the day before Ike.

georgiaboy
09-29-2008, 06:40 PM
l

PEOPLE AND HOUSE SHOW NERVES OF STEEL
WALL ST., SENATE & MSM NEED TO BUCK UP

Yes. And we must keep our nerves.

georgiaboy
09-29-2008, 06:42 PM

Yes. WE must hold with them, and keep communicating our support to them.

BeFranklin
09-29-2008, 06:43 PM
l

INVITE PATRIOTIC UBER RICH
TO START BUYING 'BY FRIDAY'
Or we'll hike the Estate Tax.

Heh heh, and get rid of the capital gains no income tax loophole for taking it offshore.

Josh_LA
09-29-2008, 06:56 PM
maybe, but if by now you still haven't cashed out your money, I feel for you.

Carole
09-29-2008, 07:14 PM

I like how you think. :)

If we can prevent Congress from passing a bill for the next thirty five days (before election results frees them from listening to us) perhaps some of that clarity will surface. After that, we are in danger of Congress no longer listening to us as usual.

I plan NOT panicking and will not extract my small savings from my purposefully chosen smallish community sized bank with whom I also have my mortgage. I have spoken with them several times over the past few months about what is going on and want to continue to show support for this bank because they appear to have been practicing sane lending policies.

Got to love the glass of dirty water analogy. It has merit as well as describes well what our country is dealing with just now. :)

cheapseats
09-29-2008, 08:19 PM
maybe, but if by now you still haven't cashed out your money, I feel for you.

But that's exactly it. Those who haven't cashed out by now are scarcely going to redeem their losses tomorrow. A sell-off or a run on banks would be an engraved invitation to a WORSE day, not a better day.

You know what would be beautiful and righteous? If millions of people went to the banks tomorrow and made DEPOSITS. Not a lot...it's not like we trust them...which is why we don't wanna buy the pond scum. Twenty bucks, a hundred bucks, ten...a sum of the "this isn't gonna make me or break me" variety...as a gesture of conviction, solidarity and optimism.

Also to keep them guessing.

The smaller the bank, the better.

As soon as we stabilize, we're gonna wanna take a look at these mega mergers and corporate behemoths. There has been a FURTHER consolidation of economic strength over the course of this Perfect Storm. A free market without competition is something other than a free market.

Sandra
09-29-2008, 08:27 PM
A bank run will GUARANTEE the bailout will be passed next time. Stay calm for freedom!