PDA

View Full Version : Post your legislator's responses to the bailout

pepperpete1
09-28-2008, 08:45 PM
I have not received a response to my showing up at Pete Hoekstra's office and the phone call placed to his DC office. The young man said he would pass on the information that I wanted him to vote NO to the bail out. He said in response to my question about how many messages Mr. Hoekstra received asking him to vote no there and he said, quite a few.
When I asked if Pete was going to respond to the seven petitions served on him, I was told "Yes, Mr. Hoekstra was sending responses to those parties that had served the petitions. He is also going to send me a copy of the response.
I will post it here when I receive it.

pacelli
09-28-2008, 08:47 PM
David Price ............ nothing. I phoned, left my name with the aide, and email Price. Still nothing, and I live in his district.

Luckily I won't have to deal with Price for too much longer, since BJ Lawson will soon be my new congressman.

pepperpete1
09-29-2008, 07:39 PM
Mr. Hoekstra listened to his constituents and voted no to the bail out. He did not consider the "regulations" placed into the bill by Republicans good enough to justify the debt on the American people. Good for him. Three cheers. Now all we have to do is get him to vote for ending the FED.

tgts2000
09-29-2008, 07:55 PM
Response from John Kline (who voted in favor)
As you know, members of Congress were asked to make a difficult decision. As it became increasingly clear that the financial crisis facing America was extending beyond Wall Street and threatening the jobs, homes, and retirement security of the men and women reporting for work on Main Streets throughout Minnesota and across America, we were asked to cast our vote for an imperfect, but important, solution. Unfortunately, this bill did not pass, and the crisis continues.

In recent weeks, I have heard from thousands of men and women in Minnesota's 2nd district. To a person, they voiced concern about the liabilities they would face under the bailout plan proposed by President Bush and Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson. Many also expressed worries about how the current financial instability would threaten them personally - their bank accounts, retirement savings, and jobs. Throughout negotiations, I represented the voices of these men and women and worked with my colleagues to address both concerns, insisting that any effective solution must protect taxpayers and ensure accountability while returning stability to our financial markets.

The result was imperfect, but it was a bipartisan solution that I believed was in the best interest of Americans. Supported by such diverse groups as AARP, Citizens Against Government Waste and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, it provided increased protection for the American taxpayer by instituting greater oversight and transparency. My Republican colleagues and I stood firm against the original, seriously flawed plan, as well as irresponsible provisions supported by my Democratic colleagues - including slush funds for left-leaning political organizations. We demanded that Wall Street finance its recovery through a federal insurance program. We also fought to ensure no golden parachutes would be available to corporate executives who made reckless decisions. But the bill failed, and we must, once again, return to negotiations.

As we can see from the precipitous decline in the markets, this crisis has not dissipated. I have urged my colleagues not to allow discussions to devolve into partisan bickering. We must not act in a way that exacerbates the problem. As we now resume negotiations, I am hopeful that we can put aside our differences and work together to shield Americans from further harm caused by Wall Street and Washington.

If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about this or other matters before Congress, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

JOHN KLINE
Member of Congress

ItsTime
09-29-2008, 07:55 PM
mine gave me a generic response than voted AGAINST the bill.

olehounddog
09-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Virginia Foxx North Carolina 5th District :D
She scored 90% on the Freedom Index in The New American

September 29, 2008

Dear Mr. Brown:

As you are well aware, our country is facing an historic economic challenge that requires action on the part of Congress. Our main objective in confronting this challenge should be putting our country first-which ultimately means taxpayers and future generations. The people of Northwest North Carolina have clearly expressed their outrage over the current proposal.

I voted against this bill because I am very concerned about the unprecedented direction that this economic recovery package would take our country. This plan puts taxpayers, their children and their grandchildren on the hook for the bad decisions of Wall Street and government sponsored enterprises. Taxpayers deserve better.

This bill was another massive government intervention into America's economy. It would have fundamentally changed our marketplace by rewarding financial companies that made bad decisions and placing those who exercised prudence at a serious disadvantage. And it would have done all this with the tax dollars of hard-working North Carolinians. Congress must protect American citizens who have played by the rules and not do long-term harm to the values we hold dear.

Also, this bill did not adequately address the underlying causes of our current financial crisis. Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae have provided a poignant illustration of what happens when the federal government aggressively interferes in the marketplace. Freddie and Fannie helped lead the subprime stampede that contributed to today's crisis. They must be dramatically reformed.

Furthermore, if the effects of the hundreds of billions of taxpayer dollars already spent bailing out insolvent and irresponsible financial entities just this year serves as any guide, the proposal before us today would not work, but rather would aggravate the underlying economic problems.

The plan before Congress did not deal with the real problem. There are superior alternatives that protect taxpayers and preserve our economic system but, unfortunately, the administration and those in charge of Congress are not willing to consider them. I and members on both sides of the aisle have pleaded with those in charge to consider these alternatives, but they refuse.

You may be interested in reading additional information about this bailout on my website, www.foxx.house.gov. We update our site daily and it is a great resource to learn about constituent services, legislative updates and my work in Congress. I hope you will utilize the website and let me know what you think about it.

Sincerely,

Virginia Foxx

Member of Congress

VF/rc

Kyora
10-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Response from Senator Debbie Stabenow (who voted against the bailout (: )

Thank you . . .

. . for contacting me about the financial crisis package recently considered in Congress. I share your anger and frustration about this situation. Although I think we need to act to fix our American economy, I do not feel this bill is the right way to do it, and I voted against this package when it came before me in the Senate.

What is most outrageous to me is that this is not an accident. We are in this crisis because of a failed philosophy and a failed set of priorities that have rewarded greed. We have seen policies of massive deregulation and willful neglect of what is going on in these markets.

We know there is a crisis on Wall Street, but there's a much bigger crisis in Michigan and across America. Hard-working families, who play by the rules, are the ones in crisis every single day, and this bill does little for them. People are losing their health care, their pensions, their jobs, and their homes.

This legislation is fundamentally the wrong approach to fixing our economy. We need to start from the root of the problem and help families stay in their homes and keep their jobs.

Just last week, the Senate was unable to get bipartisan support for a jobs bill that would have helped families in Michigan who are suffering the worst in this economy. Our bill would have created desperately needed jobs in Michigan. That bill represented the right priorities!

Although I'm glad the final bill included some alternative energy tax provisions that I have championed in the Senate, the underlying legislation did not do enough to address the real problems of jobs, health care, energy independence, and home foreclosures.

In the coming months, I will continue fighting to stop the policies that got us to this crisis and hold the people accountable who failed to protect our country. Most importantly, I will continue to focus on creating new jobs in Michigan.

Thank you again for contacting me. Please continue to keep me informed about issues of concern to you and your family.

Sincerely,

Debbie Stabenow
United States Senator