PDA

View Full Version : Kucinich says not enough votes to pass

matthylland
09-28-2008, 04:28 PM
http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/kucinich-says-not-enough-votes-for-bailout-2008-09-28.html

Kucinich says not enough votes for bailout
By Kevin Bogardus
Posted: 09/28/08 03:31 PM [ET]
A prominent liberal Democratic lawmaker said Sunday there are not enough votes to pass the bailout package as it stands now.

“I will tell you right now I don’t know if they have votes,” said Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio). “If the votes were there, this would be on the floor. The votes aren’t there.”

Kucinich was about to enter a Capitol building meeting room with fellow House Democrats who have been critical of the $700 billion relief measure for the Wall Street crisis.

The meeting was organized by Rep. Brad Sherman (D-Calif.) and has been termed the “Skeptics Caucus.” Lawmakers were meeting with well-known economists, such as James Galbraith, economics professor at the University of Texas, and William Isaac, former chairman of the Federal Deposit Insurance Commission.

Speaking before the meeting, Sherman equated the Treasury Department proposal to a power-grab by the Bush administration as well as a gift to failing financial services firms.

“This is greatest shift of power to the imperial presidency and the greatest shift of wealth to a still wealthy Wall Street that anyone could imagine,” said Sherman. In addition, the California Democrat also began distributing Sunday a “Dear Colleague” letter highly critical of the relief package.

Kucinich called for more hearings on the bailout despite Treasury Secretary Hank Paulson and Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke speaking about the proposal before lawmakers last week.

“None of this has been subject to a critical analysis. We haven’t had access to the books to the people who are claiming they are going broke,” said Kucinich. He also drew the parallel between the administration’s intense urgency on the Wall Street relief package and its drive towards the conflict in Iraq.

“They rushed this Congress into the Iraq resolution and look what happened. Catastrophe for this nation as well as for the people of Iraq,” said Kucinich.

House Republicans have been credited with slowing the bailout that led to the contentious White House summit involving both presidential candidates, Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and Barack Obama (D-Ill.), on Thursday.

Kucinich alluded to his colleagues across the aisle that have also become a source of opposition to the bill.

“There is an attempt to create a fake partisan dichotomy here. This is not about Democrat versus Republican. This is about Main Street or Wall Street,” said Kucinich.

damania
09-28-2008, 04:32 PM
Thank God!

Dorfsmith
09-28-2008, 04:34 PM
WOW! I hope he's right :cool:

olehounddog
09-28-2008, 04:37 PM
At least a little hope. Plus the r's are still in caucas. I'll bet threats and ass kisses are flying.:eek:

kathy88
09-28-2008, 04:39 PM
I don't care how "kooky" he is, I like Dennis. His speech at the DNC was a wonder to behold.

pennycat
09-28-2008, 04:39 PM
You mean to tell me we have to rely on Dennis Kucinich for support against this bill?? Dang, I'm liking this guy more by the day.

Dequeant
09-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Finally a small bit of good news.

matthylland
09-28-2008, 04:42 PM
You mean to tell me we have to rely on Dennis Kucinich for support against this bill?? Dang, I'm liking this guy more by the day.

In my opinion we are seeing the true colors (god and bad) of many of our representatives right now. We are seeing some true courage by some standing for what they believe in....something that is never wrong, and should never be criticized.

Natalie
09-28-2008, 04:42 PM
woo!

Bruno
09-28-2008, 04:43 PM
In my opinion we are seeing the true colors (god and bad) of many of our representatives right now. We are seeing some true courage by some standing for what they believe in....something that is never wrong, and should never be criticized.

and they are seeing our true colors as well. ;)

pennycat
09-28-2008, 04:45 PM

Believe me, I'm not criticizing him (well I'll say I don't agree with some of his policies). And I'm sure glad we have him in the House for this one. He's the shortest man standing tall right now (pun on his height).

matthylland
09-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Believe me, I'm not criticizing him (well I'll say I don't agree with some of his policies). And I'm sure glad we have him in the House for this one. He's the shortest man standing tall right now (pun on his height).

agreed, I respect anyone who is willing to stand up for what they believe in, and take the criticism they have been given. Hopefully Kucinich and Ron Paul can take the lead on this, as this is nothing new for them. Hopefully other congressmen will be inspired by them, and follow their lead of not giving in.

LibertiORDeth
09-28-2008, 05:11 PM
agreed, I respect anyone who is willing to stand up for what they believe in, and take the criticism they have been given.

Especially when what they stand up for is good :cool:

RonPaulVolunteer
09-28-2008, 05:15 PM
It's going to pass... no matter what, it will pass...

And it passing could be the best thing that's ever happened to our movement! Think about it.

Indy Vidual
09-28-2008, 05:18 PM

agreed, I respect anyone who is willing to stand up for what they believe in, and take the criticism they have been given. Hopefully Kucinich and Ron Paul can take the lead on this, as this is nothing new for them. Hopefully other congressmen will be inspired by them, and follow their lead of not giving in.Hoping for the best. :)

ShowMeLiberty
09-28-2008, 05:21 PM
Go, go, Dennis!! Man, if I was a Democrat I'd be a hard-core Kucinich supporter. :)

Menthol Patch
09-28-2008, 05:33 PM
We need to keep faxing and calling!

We cannot let this bailout pass!

itshappening
09-28-2008, 05:53 PM
oops i posted this too, thanks!