PDA

View Full Version : NO GAS IN TENNESEE or SOUTH CAROLINA?

kathy88
09-28-2008, 04:20 PM
I just got a call from a friend who just got off the phone with her uncle outside Charleston and the man can't get to work because there is NO GAS. Her niece in Tennesee said the same thing?

Are you RPers seeing this?

jcarcinogen
09-28-2008, 04:21 PM
only have regular here near the gulf coast.

ItsTime
09-28-2008, 04:21 PM
My fiancees best friend is in NC and there was no gas there last week. Some stations were selling it for $5 a gallon and still selling out.

matthylland
09-28-2008, 04:23 PM
My fiancees best friend is in NC and there was no gas there last week. Some stations were selling it for $5 a gallon and still selling out.

Here in Boone NC there was only 1 station with gas the last couple of days. Now today a couple more stations have re-opened, with more said to come monday.

go_carolina_528
09-28-2008, 04:24 PM
Its getting better here in the midlands of South Carolina. A few stations have been out but they are getting some gas finally. Its been like this since Ike hit.

Dorfsmith
09-28-2008, 04:31 PM
There is no gas shortage here in AZ but I did notice something strange today when I went to get gas. There were hardly any cars on the road but all the gas stations had extremely long lines. I was in line for about a half hour. It's probably nothing but it was certainly unusual.

RSLudlum
09-28-2008, 04:32 PM
I live in North Charleston and haven't seen any stations out since last weekend.

damania
09-28-2008, 04:35 PM
Maybe people were expecting gas prices to go due to currency devaluation based on the passage of the bailout?

Dorfsmith
09-28-2008, 04:36 PM
Maybe people were expecting gas prices to go due to currency devaluation based on the passage of the bailout?

I don't think the average person is that smart but maybe some survival instinct kicked in :D

RSLudlum
09-28-2008, 04:40 PM

If that's the case I wouldn't mind seeing 3/4 of all stations out of product!! :D

Matt Collins
09-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Her niece in Tennesee said the same thing?

Old news. See this:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=156060&highlight=nashville

runningdiz
09-28-2008, 07:26 PM
This is real old news and is just issues from ike and the other hurricane (I cant even remember its name) that hit weeks ago. Its been almost a week here still today most gas stations dont have gas here in Charlotte. It probably would be a top news story if not for the economic "meltdown"

damania
09-28-2008, 10:25 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080929/ap_on_bi_ge/gasoline_fear_factor;_ylt=ApCLJuICQ9KhEXo2C40tjtGs 0NUE

Something doesn't sounds right. Then again, the article's from the MSM.

BoBoDuFlachi
09-28-2008, 10:32 PM
No shortages in the Memphis area

Ex Post Facto
09-28-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm just north of Charlotte NC. I checked 15 gas stations on my way home from work and there is no gas.

anaconda
09-28-2008, 10:45 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080929/...o2C40tjtGs0NUE

Something doesn't sounds right. Then again, the article's from the MSM.

How can it be "hurricane related?" Wasn't that, like, two weeks ago?

Ex Post Facto
09-28-2008, 10:49 PM
They are telling us due to EPA restrictions on gas for certain areas, and addative based gas, there is not enough refined gas for our area.

Bman
09-28-2008, 10:55 PM
They are telling us due to EPA restrictions on gas for certain areas, and addative based gas, there is not enough refined gas for our area.

I would assume it is an area thing because I have seen no such trouble here in the mid-atlantic.

Ex Post Facto
09-28-2008, 10:57 PM
I would assume it is an area thing because I have seen no such trouble here in the mid-atlantic.

Yes it's an area thing. I can get gas 30 minutes north of me without a problem, anything south though is wiped clean.

Razmear
09-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Gas ran out in Anderson SC on Saturday. All of the lower priced stations sold out and the rest jacked up their prices. The two stations near me are dry. I got some of the last regular from the local station yesterday.

This is happening even tho a major pipeline runs thru our county and we have a tank farm here too. That pipeline goes all the way up to New Jersey and is not dry.
There was a news article that said Spartanburg got a delivery from the pipeline on Saturday and relief is expected soon. That made me wonder what is going on, cuz the pipeline has gas in it but they must be rationing it to our area and only allowing "deliveries" when the oil companies think they have the prices jacked up enough.
The same thing is going on in GA and NC too, yet more northern states are getting plenty of gas from the same pipeline. Basically they are just screwing with us.

OT but I also wonder how they get 3 grades of fuel to flow thru the same pipe. (and yes it's a single pipe and it runs about a mile from my house, cough)

eb

Micah Dardar
09-28-2008, 11:06 PM

Wow, so the government thinks that its more earth friendly to drive 60 miles to fill up? :rolleyes:

Ex Post Facto
09-28-2008, 11:12 PM
Perpetual Bullshit...thats all any of this is. It doesn't make any sense to me. Cars are begining to liter the sides of the roads. They are not broke down, they are out of gas. Then they come tow those vehicles and ticket them.

Seriously this is a major crisis in terms of economics. Imagine an natural disaster that required people to leave the city, we could be stuck.

RP4EVER
09-28-2008, 11:59 PM
I stopped in two areas in South Carolina for gas; no problems.

On Friday I stopped in a station just north of Parris Island.

On Sunday I stopped at a station near Oak Grove right off of 95; there was a line at this particular Gas station....but thats because the idiots were painting the cover and had 6 pumps blocked off.

Gas aplenty there.

RickyJ
09-29-2008, 12:21 AM

It has been this way in Atlanta since the hurricane. There is a lot less traffic out there now. The GA governor just allowed the gas stations to start selling "dirty gas" here. Also prices are sky high here where you can find gas, over $4 a gallon.

RickyJ
09-29-2008, 12:24 AM
Perpetual Bullshit...thats all any of this is. It doesn't make any sense to me. Cars are begining to liter the sides of the roads. They are not broke down, they are out of gas. Then they come tow those vehicles and ticket them.

Seriously this is a major crisis in terms of economics. Imagine an natural disaster that required people to leave the city, we could be stuck.

This "gas shortage" is engineered. There is no doubt about that or it would be affecting the whole nation, not just a certain region. A region that wasn't even effected by the hurricane at that.

Razmear
09-29-2008, 12:39 AM
http://www.atp.nist.gov/eao/gcr05-879/figure7.jpg

This map shows the gasoline pipeline network in the US.
You can see that the same pipeline that goes thru my county, in the upper western corner of SC is the same one that goes all the way to NJ, yet only GA, SC and NC are out of gas.

Perhaps the upper states are getting oil from coastal sources, tankers and so forth, but almost 3 weeks after a cat 2 storm and we still don't have gas? Either the oil companies are incompetent or screwing us, and I'm betting on screwing.

eb

edit: image source: http://www.theoildrum.com/ which isn't a bad blog.

sidster
09-29-2008, 12:40 AM
A friend on a business trip to Atlanta Georgia couldn't find a
gas station that didn't have its pumps taped up when returning
his rental car on Friday (Sept. 26th).

Matt Collins
09-29-2008, 08:27 AM
This is caused by anti-price gouging laws. I have explained the entire thing here: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showpost.php?p=1694130&postcount=14

Sandra
09-29-2008, 08:35 AM
All stations are open in Louisiana, gas-a-plenty.

BeFranklin
09-29-2008, 08:37 AM
It may be caused by bad governmnet regulation, but its hard to imagine even that would go on for three weeks with no one calling to fix it.

Its acting a lot like a lockdown on regions that most likely would be the most vocal against something like the bailout. Thats its effect, but it could still be due to incompentence - but no one has called to fix it yet? Really odd.

runningdiz
09-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Well NJ has a ton of refineries, go to Newark and Staten island and many other places near NYC and you will see that. So of course they are having no problems. They don't pump their gas from Texas...

The problems in the South East are mostly in metro regions that would be the first disrupted by a decrease in supply and in areas that have panicked. They said last week it would take 3 to 4 weeks to fix and would be awhile before all refineries can work at 100%. People are not conserving around here in Charlotte they top off everyday.

anaconda
09-29-2008, 12:09 PM
This map shows the gasoline pipeline network in the US.
You can see that the same pipeline that goes thru my county, in the upper western corner of SC is the same one that goes all the way to NJ, yet only GA, SC and NC are out of gas.

Thanks for the very informative post and the link to the site. I am eager to check it out.