PDA

View Full Version : Drew Carey: Welcome to the Nanny State

RSLudlum
09-27-2008, 09:39 PM
So this is what the "land of the free" has become? :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP79qr2xJWQ

ClayTrainor
09-27-2008, 09:45 PM
Drew Carey has a way of making a completely depressing situation situation, fun, lol.

torchbearer
09-27-2008, 09:48 PM
are they offering these on dvd yet?

torchbearer
09-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Just found out Drew was in the marine corp reserves.

ClayTrainor
09-27-2008, 10:04 PM
Just found out Drew was in the marine corp reserves.

no way! i never would've guessed that.

He should run for an office!

torchbearer
09-27-2008, 10:08 PM
no way! i never would've guessed that.

He should run for an office!

Born Andrew S. Carey in Cleveland on May 23, 1958, he was the third and youngest son of Lewis and Beulah Carey. His father, a General Motors draftsman, died of a brain tumor when he was eight. Carey learned to cope at an early age by using comedy.

After graduating from Rhodes High School in Cleveland, Carey, at best an average student, enrolled at Kent State University. He changed majors several times and was twice suspended for poor grades, leaving the university after almost five years without earning a degree.

In 1980, he was staying with his brother Neal in Mission Viejo, Calif., and considered the Navy Reserve before deciding to join the Marine Corps Reserve to help pay the rent. Carey went on active duty for six months in 1981. He did basic in San Diego and was trained as a rifleman/mortar man, as well as in communications. He completed his active duty tour in November 1981 and afterwards, for one weekend a month and two weeks a year, he donned camouflage fatigues and attended drill.

Carey credits Marine discipline for helping him get his life back in order. “The things I learned in the Marine Reserves have stayed with me to this day. I hate being late, I’m very organized and I’m not afraid to take responsibility for my actions, just to name a few. And you could scream at me at the top of your lungs and call me all the names you want. It wouldn’t even faze me.”

The Marines were also instrumental in developing Carey’s comedy persona. Still a reservist when he began doing stand-up comedy, he had to keep his hair close-cropped. He was too poor to afford a second pair of glasses, so he wore the black-frame government issue pair, and the resulting “look” was comedy gold. He left the reserves as a private first class in 1985 after his enlistment expired and began doing comedy full time.
In 1988, Carey appeared twice on "Star Search," which provided good exposure, and in 1991, he did a bit on the "Tonight Show." After Johnny Carson called him over to sit on the couch, the offers started to come in. In 1993, he had a Showtime special, “Drew Carey, Human Cartoon,” which won the Cable ACE Award for best comedy writing. That same year, he made his film debut in "Coneheads."

He had a part in the short-lived sitcom "The Good Life" and worked as a writer on another sitcom, "Someone Like Me" (1994), before "The Drew Carey Show" debuted in September of 1995. In 1997, he wrote his autobiography, "Dirty Jokes and Beer."

what i found.

AJ Antimony
09-27-2008, 10:20 PM
Drew Carey kicks ass