PDA

View Full Version : Barr Off LA Ballot, to Appeal to U.S. Supreme Court

Razorback Fan
09-27-2008, 03:02 PM
http://blog.bobbarr2008.com/2008/09/27/appellate-court-removes-barr-from-louisiana-ballot/

It's about time someone took a ballot-access issue to the U.S. Supreme Court.

The gist of the case is that, because of the hurricanes, Louisiana candidates could not communicate with or get documents to the Secretary of State's office, which was closed. The government first denied Barr a place on the ballot. This was overruled by a lower court. Now an appellate court has reversed that decision, knocking Barr off the ballot again.

This is disgusting, not because it's Barr (I know many people here don't like him) but because of fundamental fairness, and the right of Louisiana voters to cast a vote for the candidate of their choice.

Lovecraftian4Paul
09-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Louisiana is one of the easiest states to get on. You only need $500 and a slate of electors. There are candidates on in Louisiana who are only on in a couple other states. I think the real reason Barr failed is because they left it to the last minute and flubbered around. I mean, come on, even Ron Paul/Goldwater got on the ballot there under a party that didn't exist until then. Barr's campaign has failed hard in several states where Libertarians previously got on the ballot with relative ease.

Razorback Fan
09-27-2008, 03:37 PM
Oh, I agree that the Barr campaign has made it harder for themselves through mismanagement. But still, the deadline is the deadline; turning in a slate of electors early is not a requirement. The LA SOS office was closed for a week, then announced at 3:00 p.m. on the day they reopened that petitions were due at 5:00 p.m. the same day. Anyone would have a hard time hitting that target.

Sandra
09-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Wasn't it an elector that dropped the ball?

torchbearer
09-27-2008, 08:55 PM
It is a long story, but the ultimate blame goes to Barr campaign. They didn't answer or return any of the calls from the central committee until it was too late.
Almost like his campaign manager was telling him to distance himself from the state parties.
You think Paul's staff was incompetent. Barr's staff just took it to another level.

torchbearer
09-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Oh, I agree that the Barr campaign has made it harder for themselves through mismanagement. But still, the deadline is the deadline; turning in a slate of electors early is not a requirement. The LA SOS office was closed for a week, then announced at 3:00 p.m. on the day they reopened that petitions were due at 5:00 p.m. the same day. Anyone would have a hard time hitting that target.

The state party did what they could, but a single guy on this forum was more successful than the barr campaign. think about it.

torchbearer
09-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Wasn't it an elector that dropped the ball?

Only after the Barr campaign didn't get their shit straight.
The electors picked by the state chair was last minute, "let's make up for barr's stupidity" rush..... shreveport elector didn't turn in all his paperwork.