PDA

View Full Version : New fundraising idea for Ron Paul

xcalybur
05-28-2007, 07:42 PM
One of the other posts sparked an idea. We have a limit to the amount of money we can give to Ron Paul ($2300) and I know there is a lot of people out there who can't give this much or much at all, but there are some people out there who would like to give more than $2300. Here is my idea and there is a problem with it, but we'll see what ideas people have.

How about we setup a main site for people that can give more than $2300 to pool that money together. Then we can contact the people who can't give the max and divvy out the extra money to the Ron Paul campaign in their name.

The problem is, how would you trust the person that is doing it? I would be more than willing to do it. I'll even setup the website, but how do you know that I would actually do it? Here is my idea on possibly proving it. Have a site that shows what each person has donated in total and then if Ron Pauls campaign can validate the money comming from the people we'll give in their name. They should match exactly. Don't know if Ron Paul's people can do this or not, but it would be a great way to get more money to the future president and would also allow richer/millionaires to give what they see fit and we can even it out over tons of people.

This would also be a great way to recruit people to the cause. You can say to someone, "How would you like to give a campaign donation to a candidate who wants to change the world?" "Now what if we did it for you, would you support Ron Paul?" It almost like buying a vote without buying a vote.

Of course I could be WAY off on this one.

CAKochenash
05-28-2007, 07:46 PM
I would def want to check on the legalities of this...but im down for it..

Bradley in DC
05-28-2007, 08:06 PM
That would be considered money laundering, skirting election law and get everyone in jail. They prosecute for this.

winston_blade
05-28-2007, 08:09 PM
That would be considered money laundering, skirting election law and get everyone in jail. They prosecute for this.

I agree, this would most likely be illegal. What about PACs?

Bradley in DC
05-28-2007, 08:11 PM
The $2300 limit applies to the primary campaign. One can also give $2300 for the general election campaign (depending, that money could be used for the primary campaign).

Also, Dr. Paul is taking advantage of a quirk in Texas law--the LBJ law permitting one to run for president and simultaneaously for his Congressional seat. Therefore, after maxing out contributions for the presidential race, contribute to the Congressional race.

In addition, one can raise and spend funds independent of the campaign. In this case, right now, we need people willing to subsidize the establishment and continuence of the many Meetup.com groups sprouting up quickly. In some cases, there is a bottleneck with no one willing to pay the fees. Buying and distributing campaign materials, bumper stickers, etc., outside of the formal campaign does not fall within the limits.

xcalybur
05-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Ok, nevermind, sounds like racketeering. Oh well. Those laws are so stupid. How do all these candidates get 20-100 million dollars with the people only able to give them $2300?

Seems like other candidates are circumventing the laws. I know there is other ways to get money like PAC's and fund raisers. Are they really getting all that money through those?

IrrigatedPancake
05-29-2007, 12:23 AM
How do big corporations give millions to first tier candidates if donations are limited to 2,300?

<joke>
We should contribute by buying $2,300 worth of gold and send that to his campaign, then as congress's spending continues to inflate our economy, the gold will get more valuable, so congress will essentially be contributing to RP's campaign.
</joke>