PDA

View Full Version : Governemnt funding versus average cost of college

bill50
09-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Does anyone know where I can find a historical record of how much the federal government has awarded in grants and special loans to college students? Also does anyone know where I can find a historical record of average college costs? I tried searching the net but I can't find it.

The reason I ask is that I would like to write an article about how government subsidy of college education causes the cost of college to rise. To anyone familiar with Austrian economics, I'm sure you can see the analytical approach that can be taken to prove this, but unfortunately, people believe tend to believe statistics over logic (hence how Keynesians were able to trick peopel into believing that their system was correct). I'd like to have some statistical data to back up the blatantly obvious logic behind how government subsidy increases the cost of college.

kaberUSA
09-27-2008, 02:38 AM
I look forward to your article. Was trying to convince a colleague that federal loans have actually caused tuition prices to go up. Be great if you could write a nice concise article that explains in laymens terms how Federal funding has caused the price of college to skyrocket (in proportion with people's earnings). Do email it to me, could look over it before you officially post it.

email addy is :
t. ..h. e... 9...59...@g..ma...i.l.com

take out the dots

bill50
09-27-2008, 09:58 AM
I can only write it if I can find the statistical data. It would be kind of pointless writing a pure analysis because everyone that would believe just the analysis already knows why federal funding drives prices up.

AutoDas
09-28-2008, 12:11 AM
I can't find any articles on it, but you should still research it. The earliest time I know of that the Government started to subsidize student loans was the G.I. Bill.