PDA

View Full Version : I just saw my first bank run

aspiringconstitutionalist
09-26-2008, 07:48 PM
My local National City Bank had a run today. At least I think that's what was going on. There were lines of probably hundreds of people out the door.

forsmant
09-26-2008, 07:49 PM
What city is that in?

forsmant
09-26-2008, 07:50 PM
I heard something about Nat City today after work today. My Co workers, carpenters, are talking about putting their money under the matress.

sparebulb
09-26-2008, 07:55 PM
What city is that in?

Yes, in which city did this happen?

09-26-2008, 08:05 PM
Dayton, Ohio.

kathy88
09-26-2008, 08:07 PM
If it's still going on tomorrow you should video tape it.

max
09-26-2008, 08:11 PM
i just cashed out $32,000 from my bank this week....

some will be used to buy silver...rest going under the bed in a lock box..

contingency plan is to charge up $40,000 in metals on my credit cards and then pay off the balance when those metals quadruple in value due to the coming inflation

kathy88
09-26-2008, 08:12 PM

contingency plan is to charge up $40,000 in metals on my credit cards and then pay off the balance when those metals quadruple in value due to the coming inflation

Great idea.

thomaspaine23
09-26-2008, 08:14 PM

First off, good luck getting silver or gold. Both are tough to come by.
I had to search through a few shops. One Had only 1 100oz silver bar,
and the guy said it was impossible to get rounds.

The other shop only had 3 100 oz bars, and a back order (4 weeks) of rounds.

Second, You might want to exchange some of your dollars for another currency.

Sandra
09-26-2008, 08:19 PM
There's always bank runs on Friday. Bars don't take checks.

DAFTEK
09-26-2008, 08:22 PM
^ Swiss Francs, BP, Euro, LEU, Rubles ;)

HOLLYWOOD
09-26-2008, 08:23 PM
My local National City Bank had a run today. At least I think that's what was going on. There were lines of probably hundreds of people out the door.

It's PayDay

max
09-26-2008, 08:23 PM

its that hard to get silver coins already?????

shit...

as for buying other currencies...my fear is that this virus might go global. EU isnt exactly financially healthy

09-26-2008, 08:24 PM
I just got off the phone with a friend whose father was there. It was indeed a bank run. They've closed their doors for the weekend.

max
09-26-2008, 08:29 PM
I just got off the phone with a friend whose father was there. It was indeed a bank run. They've closed their doors for the weekend.

On my way out of the gym the other night I overheard 3 "regular average joes" talking about whether
or not banks are safe! That's some scary shit when Joe sixpack starts thinking about the solvency of his bank.

Cowlesy
09-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Go check out the branch tomorrow and see if there are any signs on the door or irate customers.

Take pictures.

Bruno
09-26-2008, 08:33 PM
On my way out of the gym the other night I overheard 3 "regular average joes" talking about whether
or not banks are safe! That's some scary shit when Joe sixpack starts thinking about the solvency of his bank.

qft

09-26-2008, 08:33 PM
Go check out the branch tomorrow and see if there are any signs on the door or irate customers.

Take pictures.

I'll try.

Dequeant
09-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Good........

I'd LOVE to see Citi or B of A go down in flames.

FrankRep
09-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Dayton, Ohio.

Ohio? Oh boy. Here we go.

max
09-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Good........

I'd LOVE to see Citi or B of A go down in flames.

They will ALL fall like dominos...no matter how well run...because 1. Banks only hold a fraction in deposits of what they lend out...

2. the whole banking system is essentially one closed loop...runs at one bank will triggger panics all over

09-26-2008, 08:37 PM
They will ALL fall like dominos...no matter how well run...because 1. Banks only hold a fraction in deposits of what they lend out...

2. the whole banking system is essentially one closed loop...runs at one bank will triggger panics all over

Yay, welcome to the Panic of 2008.

DAFTEK
09-26-2008, 08:39 PM
Everyone i know have prety much got their cash out last week....

voytechs
09-26-2008, 08:42 PM

And your address would be? (Just kidding - LOL)

powerofreason
09-26-2008, 08:44 PM
If you can't find silver buy Swiss Francs or Krougarans (south africa money).

ihsv
09-26-2008, 08:51 PM
qft

What does qft mean?

gjvrieze
09-26-2008, 08:56 PM

Cowlesy
09-26-2008, 08:58 PM
If there is a general panic, cash will still be king in the short-run.

EDIT: And in the very long run if everything goes bonkers, whiskey and cigarettes will fetch you more than bags of gold.

thomaspaine23
09-26-2008, 09:04 PM
its that hard to get silver coins already?????

shit...

as for buying other currencies...my fear is that this virus might go global. EU isnt exactly financially healthy

Yeah silver is gone.....

Sad part is IF you can find some it will be like 20% above the "paper spot" price....

Trigonx
09-26-2008, 09:16 PM
What does qft mean?

quoted for truth

TXcarlosTX
09-26-2008, 09:18 PM

ha!!! classic

Original_Intent
09-26-2008, 09:22 PM

A lot of places charge a HUGE premium for credit card purchases, if they will take them at all.

Kitco I believe will take orders on a credit card, but they require a money order mailed postmarked within 24 hours and int their hands within 7 days or the cancel your order and charge a pretty steep fee.

jkm1864
09-26-2008, 09:33 PM
I heard someone say this crash is like watching a train wreck in slow motion and I have to agree with him. Their is a sense of excitement in the air and its not going to look to good. I don't think We have alot of time but I am praying for three more months though. I have been preparing for the last 6 months just like most paul supporters but its hard with bills and crap to make preparations. I pretty much know i'll more than likely loose my house but at least i'll have plenty of beans and rice to last a while. You know what is sad is most have us have been preaching this for 6 months atleast and people just laughed or smiled. I talked to a guy today and he was white I mean he was scared and I told him don't worry stock up on food. They just look at you with a daze. We have come to accept this over the long run but I am afraid the sheeple wont take action when the basic services in this economy break down. There will be plenty of hungry people some time next year and alot of angry people to say the least.

thomaspaine23
09-26-2008, 09:40 PM
A lot of places charge a HUGE premium for credit card purchases, if they will take them at all.

Kitco I believe will take orders on a credit card, but they require a money order mailed postmarked within 24 hours and int their hands within 7 days or the cancel your order and charge a pretty steep fee.

Good luck with Kitco :

"Kitco is working diligently to fulfill all existing client orders. We apologize for any delays in order fulfillment which are a result of production and delivery delays imposed by certain mints and by our suppliers.

The following products have been temporarily removed from our Precious Metal Store until further notice due to production and delivery delays that retailers are currently facing; 1 oz Gold bars, 1 oz Kitco Gold bars, 10 oz Gold bars, 1 oz Silver Eagles, 1 oz Silver Maples, 1 oz Silver Philharmonic coins, 1 oz Olympic Silver Maples, 100 oz Silver bars and 1 oz Palladium Maples.

These products will be relisted and available for order as soon as fresh inventory is readily available. In the interim, we will focus on completing pending orders as our top priority.

Please note that all remaining products listed in our Precious Metal Store are available for immediate delivery including a very healthy inventory of 1000 oz Silver bars.

In addition, due to the high volume of orders being processed, you may also experience delays in your package being processed by our vaults in both Canada and the United States. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and appreciate your patience and understanding.
"

Cowlesy
09-26-2008, 09:45 PM
Gotta get me a 1000oz silver bar to melt down incase the vampires attack haha

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
09-26-2008, 09:53 PM

Do not forget your local auction houses. Most auction houses have gold,silver and other precious metals run through quite a bit. Check for auctions in your area at www.auctionzip.com and check your local papers for estate auction listings. You can pick up great silver and gold coins and sometimes at rock bottom prices. Plus, you are helping a small American business.

Mark
09-26-2008, 10:11 PM
National City was mentioned along with WaMu in some stories about being bought out.. maybe people weren't waiting to see what happens,

Goldwater64
09-26-2008, 10:15 PM

NO! NO! NO! Actions cant be explained away by normal human behavior!!! It is ALL related to RON PAUL! A line at the bank on friday: RON PAUL SAID THERE WOULD BE BANK RUNS!!!

Goldwater64
09-26-2008, 10:18 PM

WOW

Is it possible to short sell you?

You're better than SNL man...keep up the entertainment!

matthylland
09-26-2008, 10:20 PM
While people are standing in line, it would be a great time to pass out fliers telling them about our fractional reserve policies, and fiat money system and explain to them that under a sound economic system they would not have this.

DAFTEK
09-27-2008, 06:20 AM
If there is a general panic, cash will still be king in the short-run.

EDIT: And in the very long run if everything goes bonkers, whiskey and cigarettes will fetch you more than bags of gold.

I got me a few gallons of it ;) Don't forget the red wine too...:D

werdd
09-27-2008, 06:39 AM
I bought a bunch of cheap liquour, 4 cartons of smokes and a big pound bag of roll your own shit with plenty of papers.

I will be chainsmoking if things go to shit.

Bruno
09-27-2008, 07:07 AM
I bought a bunch of cheap liquour, 4 cartons of smokes and a big pound bag of roll your own shit with plenty of papers.

I will be chainsmoking if things go to shit.

don't forget that tobacco has a shelf life.

quit smoking and save your lungs and money and put them in gold or silver instead. Four cartons of smokes would almost get your 1/4 oz. gold coin.

I just saw my mom die of lung cancer. not pretty. sorry to be Debbie Downer. I smoked for 20 years, so I know its tough. :)

james1844
09-27-2008, 07:07 AM

Hey Aspiring, Can you PM me? I'd like to talk to you about that?

dawnbt
09-27-2008, 07:09 AM

LOL! Quote of the day!:D

james1844
09-27-2008, 07:15 AM

If anybody knows how to get ahold of aspiring, please send me a private message!

Thank you!

Sarge
09-27-2008, 07:26 AM
If they are normally open on Sat., and had to close for the weekend, I am guessing we might see another take over before the weekend is over.

If all branches don't open today, they have a problem come Monday.

I did notice the stock was in free fall yesterday.

Sarge
09-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Found a couple of items. Have you seen this before?

"The head of the Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan contributed to the $7-billion recapitalization of troubled Cleveland bank National City this summer. He backed a package put together by New York private equity fund Corsair Capital. But the lifeline didn't get National City to dry land, and the bank's stock was down 25 per cent yesterday as the world wondered who's the next WaMu."

And this,

http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2008/09/26/wolves-circle-national-city/

Notice all the up grades. Read the comments.

Sarge
09-27-2008, 08:43 AM
How they scheme to steal from us all,

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=as9sF0RrMSTg&refer=home

Bruno
09-27-2008, 08:47 AM
How they scheme to steal from us all,

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=as9sF0RrMSTg&refer=home

My prediction is that Citi will be the purchaser. WF is larger enought, but Citi has deeper ties to the power structure going back to its inception

kaleidoscope eyes
09-27-2008, 08:56 AM
Ohio? Oh boy. Here we go.

Scary, well we were considering moving back to Ohio. Maybe not?:eek:

Sarge
09-27-2008, 08:58 AM
You might be right on Citi.

My outrage is, they now publicly talk about how they intend to dump bad assets on the public and ruin the stock price.

walt
09-27-2008, 06:30 PM
did this run continue today?

Lord Xar
09-27-2008, 06:40 PM
1000 oz silver? Is this feasible or a good investment?

sparebulb
09-27-2008, 06:48 PM
I withdrew a significant amount of cash last week and got a funny look from the teller, who had to get approval to process my request. I went to the bank this morning withdrawing a similar amount from the same teller and she about went into panic mode. She left and came back telling me that she was out of $100's and paid me with a mountain of $50's. Not a problem. Then she asks to see my ID again and says that she has to fill out some "internal paperwork" and required my SSN and occupation. Well, this is new, I thought to myself. I complied and received my cash. The teller was visibly nervous. I'm going in on Monday and see what happens when I do it again. I'm expecting that "safeguards" will be enacted by then. Assuming the banks will be open next week.

By the way, this is a town of 17,000 in northeastern Missouri.

jabrownie
09-27-2008, 06:53 PM
Scary, well we were considering moving back to Ohio. Maybe not?:eek:

Ohio just reached a 7.4% unemployment rate, highest since 1992. I'm about to graduate and the professors are telling us to get the heck out of Ohio b/c it's dying...especially up north around Cleveland.

anaconda
09-27-2008, 06:56 PM
.rest going under the bed in a lock box..

In rampant inflation you don't want cash in a box. But if we get deflation cash in the box will be good.

puppetmaster
09-27-2008, 07:00 PM
My prediction is that Citi will be the purchaser. WF is larger enought, but Citi has deeper ties to the power structure going back to its inception

I'm in vegas right now and there is a wells fargo convention. they said they were not interested in wamu. On another note. I was at my local wells fargo (a main branch) and they were out of hundreds and I cleaned them out of fifties.

damania
09-27-2008, 09:58 PM
i went in to deposit my checks today.

There were 3 cop cars in the front and a couple of cops inside the branch waiting behind the Safety Box counter opposite the tellers. There were slightly more people than usual.

I wonder what the cops were doing there? They were expecting a massive run after the FDIC / JP Morgan takeover?

I was going to tell the cops "Hey, the CEO's loose enjoying his winnings on some island somewhere while he's the one that destroyed the bank."

mediahasyou
09-27-2008, 10:26 PM

My bank too. The bankers wouldn't let me take money out. It was bull

heavenlyboy34
09-27-2008, 10:36 PM
Ohio just reached a 7.4% unemployment rate, highest since 1992. I'm about to graduate and the professors are telling us to get the heck out of Ohio b/c it's dying...especially up north around Cleveland.

You could also look at it as an investment opportunity. It's all very good land out there...They're just being fucked over by the danged gov'ment, like everyone else. :mad:

Ex Post Facto
09-27-2008, 11:07 PM

Where do you live? lol