PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Aid for Texas - Ron Paul Votes NO

kylejack
09-26-2008, 01:41 PM
Consistency.

Some Galveston officials aren't too pleased with their Congressional representative, Ron Paul, R-Lake Jackson, for voting against the $22.8 billion disaster recovery aid package on Wednesday.

"That's sad. That's bad," said City manager Steve LeBlanc.

"I find it very distressing," said Councilwoman Karen Mahoney, who represents the West End of the island, where damage was extreme. "He's voting against aid for the region that he represents? I don't find that very representative."

Texas won't get all that money, since some is dedicated to Iowa flood victims and other disaster areas, but it could get more than half. As our story reported today, Paul did not return repeated calls and e-mails for comment, but the libertarian-leaning lawmaker often opposes legislation that involves spending.

http://blogs.chron.com/hurricanes/2008/09/peeved_at_ron_paul.html

dsentell
09-26-2008, 01:43 PM
That's our man!

He is consistent, whether it is aid for the southeast or aid for his own district.

qh4dotcom
09-26-2008, 01:49 PM
Ron Paul is right.

I wish Dr. Paul would vote against the pork for his district as well.

texasbelle
09-26-2008, 01:51 PM
wow read some comments on that page.. people are clueless!!!

Jeremy
09-26-2008, 01:51 PM
lol

JaylieWoW
09-26-2008, 01:52 PM
I read that article too and something very significant everyone should notice (including the person who wrote it, though obviously it escaped them):

It is the OFFICIALS who are upset about the vote. Notice how the RESIDENTS are taking a stance they don't WANT FEMA or the government's help?

Sounds like the OFFICIALS don't understand what their proper role is in this country. Actually it is probably just more attempts to discredit Dr. Paul. I think the response of the citizens interviewed is awesome!

ronpaulfollower999
09-26-2008, 01:57 PM
I've been through over 5 hurricanes and not once did I need help from the government, nor did I want help. People should have some common sense and not live right on the water when they live in a hurricane prone area, and if they do they should know the risks.

aspiringconstitutionalist
09-26-2008, 02:09 PM
Ron Paul sure is brave. Love the man and his principled consistency.

constituent
09-26-2008, 02:20 PM
I wish Dr. Paul would vote against the pork for his district as well.

He does.

rational thinker
09-26-2008, 02:20 PM
But if everything you guys are saying is true about the people not needing help from the government, how do you explain Katrina and how many black citizens felt that Bush should've done more to help them. Do you side with Bush or Kanye West?

Jeremy
09-26-2008, 02:22 PM
But if everything you guys are saying is true about the people not needing help from the government, how do you explain Katrina and how many black citizens felt that Bush should've done more to help them. Do you side with Bush or Kanye West?

Uh... it was illegal for the federal government to help them. But it doesn't make sense for the federal government to not follow the 10th sometimes and not others

Razorback Fan
09-26-2008, 02:26 PM
Good thing he's running unopposed, or we'd have to listen to his opponent hammer away on this point endlessly. And sheeple would probably listen.

Sandra
09-26-2008, 02:51 PM

The problems arose because of what FEMA did. They refused to let private agencies get involved with the rescue and cleanup. After Gustav, it's been almost all private involvement.

BarryDonegan
09-26-2008, 03:32 PM
wonder if those officials could maybe spend the local money a little better on that.