PDA

View Full Version : Bailout: Raising the Stakes

enjerth
09-26-2008, 11:02 AM
It's time to kick it up a notch.

Dear Senator Nelson,

I am disappointed to hear that, despite the strong reaction in opposition to the proposed bailouts, our elected officials press on with the plan. I would like to remind you that you were elected to serve us, not the whole nation and not Wall Street.

I feel that the whole of Washington is telling us that we are too stupid to know what's best for us. I would like to remind you that it is Washington who manufactured this mess and the only bailout I would be willing to consider must include the resignation of a majority of Congress and even the President. We demand justice, that the guilty not be set free while the innocent bare the burden of this bailout. Washington has a greater share of the responsibility than Wall Street. Only if you (Washington) are willing to shoulder that blame, and submit your resignation along with this bill, only then will I accept a government bailout of Wall Street.

I will remember how you voted on this issue, come election day. I am not stupid.

Do you think I went too far?

In retrospect, I meant to say "in Nebraska" after "you were elected to serve us".

jonathans
09-26-2008, 11:04 AM
good job!

Pete
09-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Ooh, I like that. :)

fedup100
09-26-2008, 11:15 AM
eeeeeeeeexxxellllleeeeennnnnttttttttt!!!!!!

surf
09-26-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm gonna copy that if you don't mind, perhaps use it as a script as well. i love this:

I will remember how you voted on this issue, come election day.

edit: my girlfriend just sent that message to Sen's Murray and Cantwell and Rep Reichert. thanks.

ShowMeLiberty
09-26-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm gonna copy that if you don't mind, perhaps use it as a script as well. i love this:

It's nit-picky, but to use it as a script and share it around, make one tiny correction: the guilty not be set free while the innocent bear the burden of this bailout.

You bear a burden in the above usage, you do not bare it.

Otherwise, it is a most excellent communication. Well done!

LibertyEagle
09-26-2008, 12:00 PM

Ok, but change "bare" to "bear".

enjerth
09-26-2008, 12:28 PM
It's nit-picky, but to use it as a script and share it around, make one tiny correction: the guilty not be set free while the innocent bear the burden of this bailout.

You bear a burden in the above usage, you do not bare it.

Otherwise, it is a most excellent communication. Well done!

Yeah. I was a bit conflicted when writing that whether it's bear or bare, but I was in a hurry cause I had to take my mother to the bus stop and I didn't want to wait until later to send it.

I would also change "you were elected to serve us" to "you were elected to serve the people of Nebraska". And in the version I sent to my Representative I added the following line to start the last paragraph.

"This is a time when we need strong leaders, when the will of Washington runs contrary to the will of the people."

bojo68
09-26-2008, 12:29 PM
to weak to me. I don't care if he resigns, I(we) did NOT sanction, or take part in making derivatives, buy any of them, or condone it in any way. Resign or not, I'm NOT willing to bear the burden of others fraud. I'd like to think that resign or not, the people will have you out of office next election regardless.

FreeMarketEconomy
09-26-2008, 12:35 PM
Why do you want the economy to collapse? Don't you care if people lose their jobs? Maybe you just don't understand economics.

Enough politics!

enjerth
09-26-2008, 12:53 PM
to weak to me. I don't care if he resigns, I(we) did NOT sanction, or take part in making derivatives, buy any of them, or condone it in any way. Resign or not, I'm NOT willing to bear the burden of others fraud. I'd like to think that resign or not, the people will have you out of office next election regardless.

They aren't going to resign. It's just strong language, letting them know I'm serous that we'll have their jobs if they vote for it. If they're so willing to put their neck on the chopping block, then it doesn't matter what I threaten them with, they'll vote for it.

aspiringconstitutionalist
09-26-2008, 01:22 PM
It's time to kick it up a notch.

Do you think I went too far?

In retrospect, I meant to say "in Nebraska" after "you were elected to serve us".

No, you didn't go too far. Good letter.

TastyWheat
09-26-2008, 04:07 PM
If you don't mind claiming to be a Republican you should end your messages with, "This elephant doesn't forget."

Micah Dardar
09-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Why do you want the economy to collapse? Don't you care if people lose their jobs? Maybe you just don't understand economics.

We understand Austrian economics, not Keynesian economics.

Study!