PDA

View Full Version : the "rescue plan" seems to be having trouble

Thor
09-26-2008, 07:14 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080926/ap_on_bi_ge/financial_meltdown

Participants in a meeting late Thursday afternoon that Bush had at the White House with congressional leaders and presidential candidates John McCain and Barack Obama said it descended into arguments. The disagreements were so deep-seated that some lawmakers wondered aloud just who — and how many — negotiators would show up for the resumption of talks later Friday morning at the Capitol.

"I didn't know I was going to be the referee for an internal GOP ideological civil war," Frank, D-Mass., said on CBS's "The Early Show."

The meeting revealed that Bush's proposal had been suddenly sidetracked by fellow Republicans in the House, who refused to embrace a plan that appeared close to acceptance by the Senate and most House Democrats.

Paulson begged Democratic participants not to disclose how badly the meeting had gone, dropping to one knee in a teasing way to make his point according to witnesses.

And when Paulson hastily tried to revive talks in a nighttime meeting near the Senate chamber, the House's top Republican refused to send a negotiator.

zach
09-26-2008, 07:15 AM
I'm surprised they're actually arguing.

Bruno
09-26-2008, 07:16 AM
Frank and Doddd are live on Cspan

The Dems are pissed because the Reps aren't for it, and they don't want to be stuck with the repercussions if it fails.

Frank: "Senator McCain said he suspended his campaign to come here to help us...God save us from such help" rflmao