PDA

View Full Version : Washington Mutual Has Just Failed. Largest Bank Failure in US History.....yet

nbruno322
09-25-2008, 09:20 PM
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=av8gIaGIF6EY&refer=home

Sept. 25 (Bloomberg) -- JPMorgan Chase & Co., the third- biggest U.S. bank by assets, agreed to pay $1.9 billion for the deposits of Washington Mutual Inc. after the thrift was seized by regulators in the biggest bank failure in U.S. history.

The U.S. government closed Seattle-based Washington Mutual amid customer withdrawals of $16.7 billion since Sept. 15, the Office of Thrift Supervision said in a statement. WaMu had ``insufficient liquidity'' and was in an ``unsound'' condition, the OTS said.

WaMu's fate played out as Congress tried to reach an accord that will ease the global credit crunch, which has already driven Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. and IndyMac Bancorp out of business, and Bear Stearns Cos. and Merrill Lynch & Co. into hastily arranged rescues. WaMu in March rebuffed a takeover offer from JPMorgan that WaMu valued at $4 a share. In most bank seizures, little or nothing is left for shareholders.

``JPMorgan is getting a steal compared with what they were going to pay,'' said Scott Adams, a pension and investment analyst at the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees in Oakland, California, which owns WaMu shares. ``It's very tragic.''

WaMu collapsed after its credit rating was slashed to junk and potential suitors passed on making a bid. Facing $19 billion of losses on soured mortgage loans, the lender put itself up for sale last week.

New York-based JPMorgan won't acquire liabilities of the lender, including claims by shareholders and subordinated and senior debt holders, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. said.

JPMorgan Expands

JPMorgan said it is adding branches in California, Washington and Florida and will have 5,400 offices with about $900 billion in deposits, the most of any U.S. bank. The branches will carry the Chase brand and will be integrated by 2010, JPMorgan said. They will be open for business tomorrow as usual, the OTS said in its statement.

WaMu had about 2,300 branches and $182 billion of customer deposits at the end of June. Its $310 billion of assets dwarf those of Continental Illinois Corp., previously the largest failed bank, which had $40 billion ($83 billion in 2008 dollars) when it was taken over in 1984.

JPMorgan rose $2.96, or 7.3 percent, to $43.46 earlier today in New York Stock Exchange composite trading before the deal was announced. It is little changed for the year.

Option ARMS

WaMu has fallen 95 percent in 12 months on losses tied to subprime lending and lost $6.3 billion in the past three quarters. It kept skidding even after joining a list of financial companies the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission protected from short selling in an effort to stabilize stock markets.

WaMu was the second-biggest provider of option ARMs, behind Wachovia Corp., with $54 billion held in its portfolio in the first quarter, according to Inside Mortgage Finance. Of the $230 billion in loans secured by real estate at the end of the second quarter, $16.9 billion were subprime mortgages. WaMu, which ranked sixth among U.S. mortgage companies last year, was the 11th-biggest subprime lender in 2006, according to Inside Mortgage Finance.

WaMu estimated losses of as much as $19 billion in the next 2-1/2 years. Standard & Poor's cut the bank's credit rating twice in nine days as chances decreased that any deal wouldn't be a buyout of the whole company, leaving creditors of the holding company to face substantial losses.

To contact the reporters on this story: Ari Levy in San Francisco at alevy5@bloomberg.net; Elizabeth Hester in New York at ehester@bloomberg.net.

JosephTheLibertarian
09-25-2008, 09:22 PM
who cares? they were never private anyway. by definition, a corporation cannot and is not private. comprehend?

jcarcinogen
09-25-2008, 09:26 PM
who cares? they were never private anyway. by definition, a corporation cannot and is not private. comprehend?

Are you talking to the poster or the WSJ, Lord Joseph? The post is just the WSJ article, no commentary.

EDIT: What is the Federal Reserve then? What is an incorporated firm whose shares are not publicly traded? Hmm, my Lord?

JosephTheLibertarian
09-25-2008, 10:19 PM
Are you talking to the poster or the WSJ, Lord Joseph? The post is just the WSJ article, no commentary.

EDIT: What is the Federal Reserve then? What is an incorporated firm whose shares are not publicly traded? Hmm, my Lord?

the Fed is the result of corporatism. the collusion of whatever WAS private and government. what is their product? how does the Fed benefit the consumer? it's useless lol. a private company benefits consumers, a private company has things that people want to buy, the Fed has nothing, it uses its statist privilege to fuck up the economy. it's a piece of dirt.

btw. i was responding to my thoughts of the article. why do I care if one extention of government garbles up another extention of government? makes no difference to me. the banking industry is not private, more like pseudo-private, if you ask me.