PDA

View Full Version : LED Scrolling Sign plans uploaded

tangent4ronpaul
09-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Plans to build a scrolling LED sign have been uploaded to the file area of the yahoo group RonPaulGrassrootsAction in the HowTo folder.

It should be easy to see how the LED's could be spread out a little to make much larger signs with ultra-bright LED's.

This will take some knowledge of electronics assembly and PIC programming to build, but that skill set is fairly common and someone in your group probably knows how to do it.

Read the doc file first.

-n

tangent4ronpaul
09-08-2007, 07:36 PM
the author of one of the plans has another one on instructables, but not this one.

I was pricing LED's and the super bright ones cost 18 cents each in quantities of 1,000+ or 22 cents for 100+. You need 512 of them for the more detailed project, so that's a bit under or over $100 in LED's for one sign.

when I was researching balloons, I found that light projected onto a white one would turn the whole balloon the color of the light being projected, so I'm thinking bubble wrap to make larger LED cells to light up and make a large letter. Backing the cells with either mylar or black kite fabric to to prevent bleed and in the case of mylar light spread within the cell.

There is a kind of Krylon spray paint that adheres to smooth plastic. I suppose white kite fabric would work as well for the screen surface.

mylar, nylon (kite fabric) and plastic are all used to make homemade inflatables, some examples:

http://home6.inet.tele.dk/kfh/duck.htm

http://www.gis.net/~puppetco/inflatables.htm

so heat sealing a cylinder, 2 cones and some tail fins should result in a blimp, fairly easily. With LED's they would need to be on the side and lower portion to be visible from below. With a flat banner type display, it's more straightforward, as it doesn't need to be airtight.

the electronics are not that expensive, but it will take a lot of soldering. Maybe 1,400 - 1,500 joints.

anyway, my thoughts up to this point,

-n