PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Christian religions

LibertiORDeth
09-25-2008, 01:28 AM
I had a friend ask how many religions before Jesus's time believed that their god came to earth, died, and rose from the grave.

GreenCardSeeker
09-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Something like 10-20 or so had similar myths. I've read a few discourses on their similarities but don't have any of them available here now, though you can perhaps check http://www.entheology.org/pocm/pagan_christs_getting_started.html for a few similar myths.

tonesforjonesbones
09-25-2008, 09:16 AM
I am sick of atheists. You are part of the reason we have an immoral society...and GOD is smiting the USA for it's immorality. Immoral societies never last. the USA is IMMORAL from the TOP down. Tones

Grimnir Wotansvolk
09-25-2008, 09:18 AM
hey tones, your cognitive dissonance is showing

Hiki
09-25-2008, 09:27 AM
I am sick of atheists. You are part of the reason we have an immoral society...and GOD is smiting the USA for it's immorality. Immoral societies never last. the USA is IMMORAL from the TOP down. Tones

I think you should take another look at what kind of people are running this country and then think again what you just wrote.

SnappleLlama
09-25-2008, 09:28 AM

Someone can be atheist and still have morals. Just sayin' ;)

zach
09-25-2008, 09:46 AM

The USA is immoral because shit happens.
Don't blame troubles of a country on a group of people regardless of their belief system because every person has done at least something to ruin the greater good.

It's the thought process of "I'm better than you since you don't believe like I do, therefore, you are dirt" that has caused this country to be further divided.

Us vs. Them FTL.

Theocrat
09-25-2008, 10:59 AM
I had a friend ask how many religions before Jesus's time believed that their god came to earth, died, and rose from the grave.

None of them.

heavenlyboy34
09-25-2008, 11:09 AM
None of them.

Several religions have had such figures. They're mostly in the mideast. Some are mentioned in the movie "Zeitgeist", but you'll have to do some research to find ALL the answers.

raystone
09-25-2008, 11:17 AM
//

tonesforjonesbones
09-25-2008, 11:29 AM
I read it was Zorasterism. It really doesn't matter. God manifests Himself however He wishes. Here's the bottom line. Most of humanity has looked to a Higher Power since the beginning of time. What does that tell you? When will you get onboard? Tones

benny215
09-25-2008, 11:45 AM

lol great pat robertson impression 10/10

Hiki
09-25-2008, 11:46 AM
I read it was Zorasterism. It really doesn't matter. God manifests Himself however He wishes. Here's the bottom line. Most of humanity has looked to a Higher Power since the beginning of time. What does that tell you? When will you get onboard? Tones

Primitive people making up excuses for the way the world works and exercising their imagination.

SnappleLlama
09-25-2008, 11:47 AM

It tells me nothing beyond people's desires to "jump on the bandwagon."
:confused:

strapko
09-25-2008, 12:03 PM
You Christians are so sure of yourself, but you are wrong...the only true religion is Judaism, Christians are evil and the other true religion is Islam Allah Akbar motherfuckers.

Theocrat
09-25-2008, 01:11 PM
Several religions have had such figures.

Which ones? Or are you just making an empty claim to show your contempt for Christianity?

They're mostly in the mideast.

How do you know that?

Some are mentioned in the movie "Zeitgeist", but you'll have to do some research to find ALL the answers.

I see how it is. I'm the one who has to do all the research, even though you're the one who introduced the claims. With that kind of reasoning, you ought to run for Congress. You can help them borrow our country out of debt. :rolleyes:

Kludge
09-25-2008, 01:12 PM
Don't do something because it's "moral", do it because you want your rights and know that they can only exist when they are recognized by society.

Mesogen
09-25-2008, 03:38 PM
So God came down to earth, "died," and rose again?
So for 3 days there was no god?
Obviously you wouldn't say that, so God was never dead. That means that God did not rise from the dead. Even if you take this story at face value, it is illogical and total BS.

strapko
09-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Hmmm... I think the real religion is Hinduism, how else can you explain Ron Paul? Thomas Jefferson died and reincarnated as Paul. =D

LibertiORDeth
09-25-2008, 04:11 PM

I'm not, btw, an atheist, just agnostic... with morals...

zach
09-25-2008, 05:18 PM
I'm not, btw, an atheist, just agnostic... with morals...

Yay, someone like me! :cool:

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 05:36 PM
I'm told that the aboriginals in Australia have been here for 40,000 years.

They are spiritual people.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 05:41 PM
The USA is immoral because shit happens.
Don't blame troubles of a country on a group of people regardless of their belief system because every person has done at least something to ruin the greater good.

It's the thought process of "I'm better than you since you don't believe like I do, therefore, you are dirt" that has caused this country to be further divided.

Us vs. Them FTL.

Nice job with Bush/Cheney.

I'm enlightened, are you?

zach
09-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Nice job with Bush/Cheney.

I'm enlightened, are you?

:D

heavenlyboy34
09-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Which ones? Or are you just making an empty claim to show your contempt for Christianity?

I see how it is. I'm the one who has to do all the research, even though you're the one who introduced the claims. With that kind of reasoning, you ought to run for Congress. You can help them borrow our country out of debt. :rolleyes:

I introduced the claims? I'm not the OP! Besides, I don't have time to mention everything I've read and all the lectures I've listened to on the subject. :rolleyes: I don't LIVE on the webbernet, ya know.

Run for congress? Why? I have too much integrity to have my longstanding reputation in my artistic community to be tarnished by working for the government. ;)

I don't have "contempt" for Christianity. I studied Christian art, literature, and music in college. I have contempt for those who distort it. Ya might want to be careful before you go throwing around trash talk like that, buddy.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Theocrat,

You turn people off religion.

I respect your rights, your freedoms.

Respect others.

Dieseler
09-25-2008, 07:46 PM
JMDrake will set this crap straight when he notices it. He has debunked Zeitgeist part 1 a few times here.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 07:50 PM
I do not want to debunk religion although I'm an atheist.

My family are Christians.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Debate me, and I'll kick your ass.

I'm informed.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 07:56 PM
An atheist is like a reformed smoker.

Theocrat
09-25-2008, 08:15 PM
I introduced the claims? I'm not the OP! Besides, I don't have time to mention everything I've read and all the lectures I've listened to on the subject. :rolleyes: I don't LIVE on the webbernet, ya know.

Run for congress? Why? I have too much integrity to have my longstanding reputation in my artistic community to be tarnished by working for the government. ;)

I don't have "contempt" for Christianity. I studied Christian art, literature, and music in college. I have contempt for those who distort it. Ya might want to be careful before you go throwing around trash talk like that, buddy.

You stated in a post that there are several religions which have Messianic beliefs, predating Christ's incarnation. That's what I meant when I said you initiated the claim. You've also mentioned that you've read and listened to many lectures on this subject, yet you can't provide one evidence to back up your assertions?

After reading my last post addressed to you, I realized that I did respond too strongly towards you, and I apologize for that. I suppose I replied that way due to my having to deal with so many challenges against Christianity on these forums and rebutting the critics here lately (always on the defense, it seems).

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 08:21 PM
You stated in a post that there are several religions which have Messianic beliefs, predating Christ's incarnation. That's what I meant when I said you initiated the claim. You've also mentioned that you've read and listened to many lectures on this subject, yet you can't provide one evidence to back up your assertions?

After reading my last post addressed to you, I realized that I did respond too strongly towards you, and I apologize for that. I suppose I replied that way due to my having to deal with so many challenges against Christianity on these forums and rebutting the critics here lately (always on the defense, it seems).

Try Aztec.

A great example of BOOGA BOOGA.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 08:24 PM
Reminds me of the Spanish inquisition.

What do you reckon?

Theocrat
09-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Theocrat,

You turn people off religion.

I respect your rights, your freedoms.

Respect others.

People are inherently religious, so it's impossible for me to turn off anyone from religion. I suppose you mean I "turn people off" from the Christian faith. Their rejection of Christ is their own fault, and I've found it's usually the militant "atheists" on these forums who have a problem with any Christian who stands toe-to-toe with them on any issue they disagree with. You see, they are just as zealous about their humanistic religion as I am about my theistic one.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 08:30 PM
We can go back further if you like.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 08:32 PM
People are inherently religious, so it's impossible for me to turn off anyone from religion. I suppose you mean I "turn people off" from the Christian faith. Their rejection of Christ is their own fault, and I've found it's usually the militant "atheists" on these forums who have a problem with any Christian who stands toe-to-toe with them on any issue they disagree with. You see, they are just as zealous about their humanistic religion as I am about my theistic one.

So.

Am I a militant atheist Theocrat?

Theocrat
09-25-2008, 08:36 PM
So.

Am I a militant atheist Theocrat?

Yes, but I understand why you are. You're passionate about your beliefs, as I am about my own, as a Christian. I realize that.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 08:37 PM
I wonder how many militant atheists have conquered the world?

Mmmm... Militant Christians conquering the World.

Unheard of.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 08:42 PM
Yes, but I understand why you are. You're passionate about your beliefs, as I am about my own, as a Christian. I realize that.

So I'm a special atheist.

Going to hell.

Is that right?

Theocrat
09-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I wonder how many militant atheists have conquered the world?

Mmmm... Militant Christians conquering the World.

Unheard of.

That's because the entire world belongs to God, and He gives its possession to His children to take dominion of it through the Gospel. ;)

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 08:46 PM
That's because the entire world belongs to God, and He gives its possession to His children to take dominion of it through the Gospel. ;)

So you are going to heaven, and I'm going to Hell.

You are comfortable with that?

Theocrat
09-25-2008, 08:46 PM
So I'm a special atheist.

Going to hell.

Is that right?

I hope not. That's one of the reasons why many Christians are here. We want to help.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 08:48 PM
I hope not. That's one of the reasons why many Christians are here. We want to help.

If I remain an atheist, I will go to hell.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 08:50 PM
Yes or No?

Theocrat
09-25-2008, 08:50 PM
If I remain an atheist, I will go to hell.

Do you know how you can escape that fate?

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 08:51 PM
Simple question.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Maybe you can understand me my friend.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 08:55 PM
You would miss me in heaven.

Theocrat
09-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Maybe you can understand me my friend.

Send me a private message. We've already disrupted this thread with going off topic. I don't wish to disrespect lukeownzu's OP any further.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 08:58 PM
No.

Aztecs,

Let's get started

Theocrat
09-25-2008, 08:59 PM
No.

Aztecs,

Let's get started

What about Aztecs?

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 09:04 PM
I respect religion.

I do not sidestep the issue.

You can't handle playing with matches. Sometimes you get burnt.

I say this with due respect.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 09:06 PM
What about Aztecs?

It fits the criteria.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 09:10 PM
I guess what shits me off Theocrat,

Is that you reckon I'm going to hell.

I wish you the best.

You don't have a choice.

I do.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 09:14 PM
If there is a God...

What would he think?

Theocrat
09-25-2008, 09:14 PM
It fits the criteria.

Did the Aztecs believe in a prophesied messiah who is divine and human, coming down to the Earth incarnated to take on the sins of the whole world by dying on a cross, resurrecting from the dead, and ascending into Heaven to rule the nations by the wisdom of his own word and power of his spirit through followers teaching, baptizing, and discipling the whole world by his gospel?

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 09:20 PM
For the moment...

Is God going to examine our hearts and souls?

I'm a good man.

Are you?

heavenlyboy34
09-25-2008, 09:21 PM
something you may find interesting, OP, et. al.-

http://www.ocska.com/kr/what_is_religion.php and http://www.rationality.net/religion.htm#Chapter%2009.01 :D

DirtMcGirt
09-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Judaism- King Solomon built 1st temple in 931 BCE
Hindu- Early Vedas written down around 1500 BCE
Buddhism- Wisdom scriptures originally developed 100 BCE

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Stuff formal religion.

You are your own man.

CountryboyRonPaul
09-25-2008, 09:27 PM
It's ok... as long as we have moral Christians like Bush in office, the USA will be great and win every war we start....

... you just gotta have faith ;p

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 09:29 PM
It's ok... as long as we have moral Christians like Bush in office, the USA will be great and win every war we start....

... you just gotta have faith ;p

Reality check.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Everyone sooner or later formulates their opinions.

I debate.

CountryboyRonPaul
09-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Reality check.

reality is for heathens I hear

Theocrat
09-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Everyone sooner or later formulates their opinions.

I debate.

I noticed you skipped over Post #56. How can you debate when you can't even stay on the topic?

smartguy911
09-25-2008, 09:40 PM
****oops didn't read your question properly..

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 09:44 PM
reality is for heathens I hear

I'm a heathen?

LibertiORDeth
09-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Send me a private message. We've already disrupted this thread with going off topic. I don't wish to disrespect lukeownzu's OP any further.

Thank you sir. As soon as someone FUCKING INTELLIGENT answers my question (not directed at you) you guys can do whatever the hell you want with the thread.

Knightskye
09-25-2008, 10:19 PM

How is it atheists' fault when the only atheist member of Congress is Rep. Pete Stark?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Stark

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 10:24 PM
I noticed you skipped over Post #56. How can you debate when you can't even stay on the topic?

Cause I turned 50 yesterday and had a party.

I drank and smoked heaps.

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 10:26 PM

Aztecs.

Go for it!

Mach
09-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Tell your "friend" to Click and Compare.

POCM - Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth (http://www.pocm.info/index.html)

heavenlyboy34, thanks, what a blessing (http://www.ocska.com/kr/bible_came_to_be.php).

Ozwest
09-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Why did the Aztecs sacrifice their enemies and spill hearts down the pyramid steps?

Any religious significance?

LibertiORDeth
09-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Tell your "friend" to Click and Compare.

POCM - Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth (http://www.pocm.info/index.html)

heavenlyboy34, thanks, what a blessing (http://www.ocska.com/kr/bible_came_to_be.php).

Thank you.

zach
09-26-2008, 07:07 AM
Why do religious debates turn into ad-hominem attacks?

Mighty Buddha.

SnappleLlama
09-26-2008, 07:10 AM
Why did the Aztecs sacrifice their enemies and spill hearts down the pyramid steps?

Any religious significance?

The Almighty Carnivorous Gawd wanted a tasty treat, silly! :)

Kludge
09-26-2008, 12:56 PM
Why do religious debates turn into ad-hominem attack?

Isn't much to discuss. Sources contradict and neither will back down and admit their source may be incorrect. An argument between a militant atheist and a militant theist is fun to watch, but entirely unproductive.

Knightskye
09-27-2008, 05:03 PM
Tones?

heavenlyboy34
09-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Why do religious debates turn into ad-hominem attacks?

Mighty Buddha.

Because there is not enough evidence (in the scientific sense) to support religious claims. When people start trying to defend unsubstantiated claims, they consider opposition opinions "attacks" and treat them as such. That's when the back-and-forth of ad hominems usually begins. :eek: That's probably why it's not a very popular debate to have.

inibo
09-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Osiris (http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/frazer/gb03800.htm)
Attis (http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/frazer/gb03400.htm)
Aztecs (http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/frazer/gb05002.htm)
General (http://www.sacred-texts.com/bib/cv/wscs/index.htm)
More General (http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_jcpa.htm#menu)

I am not an atheist.