PDA

View Full Version : All future programs/debts must be paid off in 20 years?

socialize_me
09-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Should this be a plank, or a position in the CFL movement that all programs/whatever created by the Federal Government are to be paid off in full, interest included, within 20 years of its passage?? And if the program is to be something that needs continuation that we also put an amendment in the Constitution saying all Federal laws enacted must be subject to a sunset provision of no more than 20 years?? That way we don't have these entitlement systems running amuck, "contracts" made by our grandparents which burden our generation, and enslave our posterity?? This would keep our national debt extremely low, keep our government within boundaries, and ensures stability. Not to mention the fact that we don't have to enforce legislation that none of us were around when it was passed to object to.

If politicians and America want something done through the Congress, I believe it should be paid in full within those 20 years. That way the Congress cannot push the debt onto future generations, and that for every program created, it is matched with a new tax. This might seem onerous that we have more and more taxation in this country, but I'm confident that anytime the politicians feel the need to broaden government, they will be reluctant to do so as the People will reach the point of "enough". We're borrowing and printing so much money that the American people think with only ~35% tax rate we're getting quite a bang-for-our-buck, but that would end.