PDA

View Full Version : Only 5 meals away from the end of civilization

nbruno322
09-24-2008, 05:51 PM
One of my old professors used to say that we are only 5 meals away from the end of civilization. Meaning if people don't have enough food for 1.5 days civilization will break down, doesn't matter if its NYC or Darfur....

mconder
09-24-2008, 05:54 PM
I believe there is truth in this and people won't realize it until it's upon them. That's why I have gotten out of all investment and sold assets to store food and buy guns. When this day comes, and it will....this is the only thing that will save you.

Lovecraftian4Paul
09-24-2008, 05:59 PM
I agree with the Professor's suggestion. Real hunger, especially in societies where most have never experienced it like ours, are in very deep trouble if the people begin to run out of food. Under that scenario, we may not even get a revolution, but total anarchy. The intelligent and agricultural people among us will have stores of food, or land and animals to make it. The rest will resort to thievery, barter, or labor to get food from the others.

RonPaulVolunteer
09-24-2008, 06:06 PM
I just cashed in my stocks. All going to long life food and other items. I have a lot already though.

socialize_me
09-24-2008, 06:06 PM
One of my old professors used to say that we are only 5 meals away from the end of civilization. Meaning if people don't have enough food for 1.5 days civilization will break down, doesn't matter if its NYC or Darfur....

We have plenty of food, rest assured. I remember reading where America exports 75% of its crops because we only use a quarter of it. Considering by the time America will have quadrupled in population, we will have long since addressed this problem. We'll probably all be dead by then anyway, but if we aren't, we'll have plenty of artificial food sitting around. It'll probably be "Just add water" and you'll have a delectable dish fully cooked and ready to go instantly.

I'm waiting for us to start downloading the stuff we buy on the Net...like cars, TV's, etc. Could you imagine what pirated food would taste like?? Full of worms and viruses?? ;)

LandonCook
09-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Not true in Arkansas... We're self sufficient...

socialize_me
09-24-2008, 06:09 PM
I believe there is truth in this and people won't realize it until it's upon them. That's why I have gotten out of all investment and sold assets to store food and buy guns. When this day comes, and it will....this is the only thing that will save you.

Wait till they pass laws. FDR took people's gold away who were 'hoarding' it, and I could betcha you'd have your house ransacked..course I would fight back and die, but I'd be right there with yah taking as many of those SOB's out as I could.

But food won't run out anytime soon...seriously. We produce so much damn corn here in Nebraska that we've built a dozen or so ethanol facilities and we STILL have a surplus. It's absolutely ridiculous how much vegetation is in the Midwest that's raked in every year.

RJB
09-24-2008, 06:10 PM
Not true in Arkansas... We're self sufficient...

Not in Little Rock :)

ShowMeLiberty
09-24-2008, 06:13 PM
I believe it. How long did it take for New Orleans to look like a 3rd world country after Hurricane Katrina? Couple of days max. That was a real eye opener for me. The veneer of civilized society is very thin indeed.

RJB
09-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Tsze-kung asked about government. Confucius replied, “The requisites of government are that there be sufficiency of food, sufficiency of military equipment, and the confidence of the people in their ruler.”
Tsze-kung said, “If it cannot be helped, and one of these must be dispensed with, which of the three should be foregone first?”
“The military equipment,” said the Master.
Tsze-kung again asked, “If it cannot be helped, and one of the remaining two must be dispensed with, which of them should be foregone?”
The Master answered, “Part with the food. From ancient times, death has been the lot of all men; but if the people have no faith in their rulers, there is no justification for the state.”
This was interesting.

pacelli
09-24-2008, 06:21 PM
America is a net importer of food:

A little over a year ago The Wall Street Journal (31 Jan 2005) reported that the U.S. would become a net food importer on a more or less permanent basis by the end of 2005.

If America becomes a net food importer, we'll face greater costs. We'll spend more for the energy needed to bring food to our tables. Already we spend about $139 billion each year paying for the energy required to grow and distribute food. That's far more than cost of the first year of the war in Iraq.

The United States, which prides itself on being the breadbasket of the world, will see its agricultural exports drop 10 percent next year and, for the first time since the late 1950s, will cease to be a net exporter of food, according to a new government projection.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_kmafp/is_200411/ai_n8602977

Many parts of America, long considered the breadbasket of the world, are now confronting a once unthinkable phenomenon: food rationing.

http://www.nysun.com/news/food-rationing-confronts-breadbasket-world

I see a trend has been developing over the past few years.

socialize_me
09-24-2008, 06:33 PM
America is a net importer of food:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_kmafp/is_200411/ai_n8602977

http://www.nysun.com/news/food-rationing-confronts-breadbasket-world

I see a trend has been developing over the past few years.

I stand corrected. Good work!!