PDA

View Full Version : Best way to store gold?

robinsong
09-24-2008, 02:28 PM
I'm buying gold for the first time.

What's better: keep it stored in a vault, and pay the gold seller a small percentage per month or per year to do so, or have them mail it to your home where you keep it locked up in your personal safe? Or put it in a safe deposit box in a bank?

Jenny

Smiley Gladhands
09-24-2008, 02:33 PM
Safe in your house is preferable, IMO.

If you don't trust the Central Bank to protect the value of the dollar, you shouldn't trust that an individual bank would give you access to your gold in a safety deposit box when you need it (especially if the government tells them not to).

LibertyEagle
09-24-2008, 02:36 PM
Take physical possession.

Bruno
09-24-2008, 02:38 PM

What's better: keep it stored in a vault, and pay the gold seller a small percentage per month or per year to do so, or have them mail it to your home where you keep it locked up in your personal safe? Or put it in a safe deposit box in a bank?

Jenny

welcome to the forums, Jenny.

"if you don't hold it, it isn't yours"

Safes are good, and then hide the safe well or get a good bolt-down if you have enough. Most people could find enough other valuable items such as jewelry, papers, and pictures to put in a safe.

Steer clear of safe deposit boxes, as they are in the hands of the bank. What if you had your gold in an Indymac and could't have gotten to it? Or if for any reason the govt passes a bill that banks have to open the boxes?

eric_cartman
09-24-2008, 02:38 PM
take physical possession. put it in a fire proof safe. hide it in a creative spot (bury it in your back yard or something)

if you have a lot, split it up into different places... that way, if it gets stolen somehow, you wont lose it all. if you keep 1/3 in a safety deposit box, 1/3 in your house, 1/3 buried in your back yard... something like that.

Josh_LA
09-24-2008, 03:06 PM

Jenny

I can't tell you where to store it, but get creative, but DEFINITELY DEFINITELY DO NOT LET PEOPLE KNOW WHERE IT IS, MUCH LESS PAY THEM TO KNOW WHERE IT IS FOR YOU.

Danke
09-24-2008, 04:47 PM
If you have a trusted friend or relative. Ship it to their address. In other words, store it at a place different then where it was sent to.

Dr.3D
09-24-2008, 04:52 PM
Take physical possession. You can hide it just about any place a thief wouldn't think of looking for it. It is also best not to let anybody know you have it. What they don't know you have, they won't try to steal.

123tim
09-24-2008, 05:21 PM
Take physical possession. You can hide it just about any place a thief wouldn't think of looking for it. It is also best not to let anybody know you have it. What they don't know you have, they won't try to steal.

A long time ago someone posted an article written by a professional thief. This article said a lot about hiding valuables in different places. Would anyone know where the article might be hiding on this forum?

cien750hp
09-24-2008, 06:15 PM
the best way to store gold? secretly.

fj45lvr
09-24-2008, 06:48 PM
I would avoid the safety deposit box route....you are aware that last go around the GOV. required safety deposit boxes to only be opened with an IRS agent there to see the contents (and they may be able to access them now without your knowledge).... bury it and put some junk metal over it to discourage any "detectorist" from finding the stash.