PDA

View Full Version : Breaking News - McCain Announcing that he is suspending his Campaign to return to DC

FreedomWon
09-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Just heard this on WTKK radio FM - Boston

NoPants
09-24-2008, 01:00 PM
cop-out

JoshLowry
09-24-2008, 01:00 PM
Joke?

CasualApathy
09-24-2008, 01:01 PM
So if RP unsuspends does he get the nomination? :D

tpreitzel
I'll be waiting for more news. In the meantime, I've got other things to do. Carry on!

Dorfsmith
http://www.drudgereport.com/flash1.htm

Time to call his office and tell him we don't want the freakin' bill passed in any form :mad:

mcgraw_wv
He's suspending Campaigning... not his Campaign...

Dorfsmith
09-24-2008, 01:02 PM
McCain is just playing some stupid game. Call his office and tell him what you think about the bailout:

Senator John McCain: (202) 224-2235

Truth Warrior
09-24-2008, 01:02 PM
Probably just cramming and boning up up for the Friday debate. :p :rolleyes:

LiveToWin
09-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I doubt it.

What was the reason this radio station gave that he was doing this due to? How (if this is even real) do they know this, its on no news sources anywhere on the internet so far.

pacelli
09-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative.

Cuz we all know that global initiatives are more important to McShame than the economy.

John McCain on the economy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUZwL9GPcNw

Dorfsmith
09-24-2008, 01:05 PM
It's on drudge. It's just a game he's playing.

pacelli
09-24-2008, 01:05 PM
I doubt it.

What was the reason this radio station gave that he was doing this due to? How (if this is even real) do they know this, its on no news sources anywhere on the internet so far.

MCCAIN SUSPENDS CAMPAIGN TO FOCUS ON ECONOMY; WANTS DEBATE DELAY
Wed Sept 24 2008 14:58:02 ET

MCCAIN: America this week faces an historic crisis in our financial system. We must pass legislation to address this crisis. If we do not, credit will dry up, with devastating consequences for our economy. People will no longer be able to buy homes and their life savings will be at stake. Businesses will not have enough money to pay their employees. If we do not act, ever corner of our country will be impacted. We cannot allow this to happen.

Last Friday, I laid out my proposal and I have since discussed my priorities and concerns with the bill the Administration has put forward. Senator Obama has expressed his priorities and concerns.This morning, I met with a group of economic advisers to talk about the proposal on the table and the steps that we should take going forward.I have also spoken with members of Congress to hear their perspective.

It has become clear that no consensus has developed to support the Administration' proposal. I do not believe that the plan on the table will pass as it currently stands, and we are running out of time.

Tomorrow morning, I will suspend my campaign and return to Washington after speaking at the Clinton Global Initiative. I have spoken to Senator Obama and informed him of my decision and have asked him to join me.

I am calling on the President to convene a meeting with the leadership from both houses of Congress, including Senator Obama and myself. It is time for both parties to come together to solve this problem.

We must meet as Americans, not as Democrats or Republicans, and we must meet until this crisis is resolved.I am directing my campaign to work with the Obama campaign and the commission on presidential debates to delay Friday night's debate until we have taken action to address this crisis.

I am confident that before the markets open on Monday we can achieve consensus on legislation that will stabilize our financial markets, protect taxpayers and homeowners, and earn the confidence of the American people. All we must do to achieve this is temporarily set politics aside, and I am committed to doing so.

Following September 11th, our national leaders came together at a time of crisis. We must show that kind of patriotism now. Americans across our country lament the fact that partisan divisions in Washington have prevented us from addressing our national challenges. Now is our chance to come together to prove that Washington is once again capable of leading this country.

Developing...

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash1.htm

olehounddog
09-24-2008, 01:07 PM
He just wants out of the debate.

Kade
09-24-2008, 01:08 PM
Verified: http://www.cnn.com/

Kade
09-24-2008, 01:08 PM

Yep. He's asking Barack to postpone debate.

CasualApathy
09-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Danish media is reporting the cancelled debate as well now.

Menthol Patch
09-24-2008, 01:09 PM
McCain if you push for this bailout you are pushing for an unconstitutional bailout that would turn the USA into a communist nation.

The market needs to crash and our economy needs to crash. That is the only constitutional way to solve this issue.

ionlyknowy
09-24-2008, 01:12 PM

This is immediately and exactly what I thought as soon as I heard he was suspending campaigning to "focus" on the bailout. Which would require him to, of course, miss the debate.

Mccain isnt ready to debate... he knows for sure he will be asked how he would deal with the economy in the debate and he has no clue...

He is probably afraid that Obama might sound better than him when asked this question.

Everyone will be watching the debate waiting for the economy question... if they dont ask it, then all hell would break loose.. all of the media would be talking about what they didnt talk about.

This is obviously Mccain just trying to get out of looking stupid at the debate, all while looking good by trying to make it seem like he is a crusader crossing party lines to attack a major issue.. But in all reality, we know that he has no clue about what to do..

Bruno
09-24-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't see it in the text, but I thought I heard him say indefinately.

SnappleLlama
09-24-2008, 01:13 PM
Well, wasn't that thoughtful of McCain?

:rolleyes:

Kade
09-24-2008, 01:15 PM
This will show Barack's genius. If he says no to canceling debate, as in this is not a time to abandon speaking about these issues, because the American People are AGAINST the bailout, he could score big.. real big.

surf
09-24-2008, 01:18 PM
he's showing his leadership... what a punk.

ionlyknowy
09-24-2008, 01:19 PM
This will show Barack's genius. If he says no to canceling debate, as in this is not a time to abandon speaking about these issues, because the American People are AGAINST the bailout, he could score big.. real big.

yup, Mccain may be stabbing himself in the back with this one.... Polls show that only 7% are for the bailout... LOL

I just wish RP was still in the race.. maybe people would have started listening to him by now... :mad:

I heard about and started supporting RP fall of 2007. His position on the economy was the sole reason I decided to support him.. the other issues just followed later.

DJ24966
09-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Maybe we should all bomb Obama with phone calls and have him invite Dr. Paul to the debate. We could win big with that.

liberteebell
09-24-2008, 01:28 PM

Ummm, obomba may be a genius by some standard but neither he nor mcwar have a clue about economics except for how to spend someone else's money.

itshappening
09-24-2008, 01:31 PM
he's trying to wrap it in the flag of bipartisinship "if we go down, we go down together"

itshappening
09-24-2008, 01:32 PM
both of these d1cks support a bail out they just differ on how to achieve it...

zach
09-24-2008, 01:32 PM
McCain's afraid of the debate.. Obama should call him out, but then, everyone will love him even more as Kade said.

I thought for a second McCain was suspending his actual candidacy.. yeah right. :S

slantedview
09-24-2008, 01:33 PM
From what I heard, he's not suspending his campaign, just pulling out of the debate

pauletteNV
09-24-2008, 01:34 PM
This is the start of the setup for a national emergency where Bush can remain in power. Sounds to me as though the FEDS are holding a gun to the heads of Congress regarding this bailout. Don't forget, the President is speaking at 9PM EST tonight.

Now is definitely the time to email, call and pound on this issue that we will not allow...We The People...will not allow this Bailout! It is the job of the Congress to listen to their constituents...that's why they get the big bucks :( ... and if they vote for this bailout with only a 7% backing, at least by the Rasmussen poll, they they should all be fired. I vow to never vote for any of my current representatives if they vote for this....and I feel a tax revolt looming - how about you?

Menthol Patch
09-24-2008, 01:36 PM
All I can say is that if this bailout is approved our government has ZERO legitimacy. ZERO!

amy31416
09-24-2008, 01:40 PM
This is the start of the setup for a national emergency where Bush can remain in power. Sounds to me as though the FEDS are holding a gun to the heads of Congress regarding this bailout. Don't forget, the President is speaking at 9PM EST tonight.

Now is definitely the time to email, call and pound on this issue that we will not allow...We The People...will not allow this Bailout! It is the job of the Congress to listen to their constituents...that's why they get the big bucks :( ... and if they vote for this bailout with only a 7% backing, at least by the Rasmussen poll, they they should all be fired. I vow to never vote for any of my current representatives if they vote for this....and I feel a tax revolt looming - how about you?

You could be right about this being a "set-up." I'll certainly be watching what Bush says tonight.

I've made many calls, fortunately, the one I made to my Congressman was to thank him for voting "nay" and encourage him to continue to do so no matter what variation they come up with.

Oh, by the way, it's not a tax revolt per se, but check out: http://www.slaveuprising.com/

FreedomWon
09-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Obama has agreed to also return to DC and will issue a "JOINT" statement.
This is either for political posturing or has been part of the script

Kade
09-24-2008, 01:46 PM
Obama has agreed to also return to DC and will issue a "JOINT" statement.
This is either for political posturing or has been part of the script

Idiot.

I was about to add that the only reason McCain suspended his campaign was because most of his campaign staff were already in Washington waiting for their checks.

Dorfsmith
09-24-2008, 01:57 PM
McCain is just playing some stupid game. Call his office and tell him what you think about the bailout:

Senator John McCain: (202) 224-2235

Has anybody been able to get through to McCain's office? I keep getting a machine that says it's full. Is somebody there answering phones and they're just too slammed to answer them all?

haaaylee
09-24-2008, 02:01 PM
Maybe we should all bomb Obama with phone calls and have him invite Dr. Paul to the debate. We could win big with that.

Then Obama would immediately cancel the debate, ha.

DJ24966
09-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Then Obama would immediately cancel the debate, ha.

It would be nice though. Paul would win no doubt.

Philadelphia76
09-24-2008, 02:12 PM
Ummm, obomba may be a genius by some standard but neither he nor mcwar have a clue about economics except for how to spend someone else's money.

Exactly. Obama is as clueless about the financial world and monetary policy as McCain is. He's just a little more skilled at shrouding his ignorance in smooth sounding vague platitudes.

ionlyknowy
09-24-2008, 02:46 PM
HAHA sounds to me like Obama tricked Mccain into breaking the news that he was canceling his campaign and not attending the debate.

Obama said that in a conversation with Mccain earlier today Obama had offered to give a joint statement to which Mccain agreed. Then Mccain told Obama that he wanted to suspend the campaign and mutually agree to not have the debate. Obama said that he would think about it and that his campaign should talk to his campaign.

Mccain probably thought, "sounds like Obama is agreeing with me" "so I better break the news before he does so I look like the one in charge"

I cant believe the american people dont have a choice on the bailout issue... seems like every politician is for it, or some degree of it.. and only 7% of the american people are for ANY bailout. Representation at its finest..:mad:

kombayn
09-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Jesus Christ. John McCain is a retard and the GOP-faithful (people who vote the party-line no matter what) just follow along with this crap. I really hope he doesn't show up so we can listen to Barack Obama for an honest hour. "An Evening with Obama" I know the majority of you puke at the thought but I would certainly watch it.