PDA

View Full Version : Don't just call; SHOW UP!

JanetR
09-23-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm absolutely in support of emailing/faxing/calling congressmen and senators about this bailout fiasco, but it makes an even bigger impact when you physically show up in their regional offices.

My congresscritter and senators maintain offices about two hours from where I live. A friend and I drove down today and talked to the nice ladies who work there. Not many people make the effort to go in person to these offices; when a few people start doing it, it really gets their attention.

Wednesday and Thursday will be critical, folks! Show up and tell them to vote NO on the bailout.

Why should the entire country be made to pick up the tab for the foolish decisions of a some bankers and deadbeats?

-Janet

Dorfsmith
09-23-2008, 10:22 PM
Great post. Unfortunately, my congressman's office has been pretty much closed ever since he was indicted on conspiracy, fraud, extortion and money laundering charges. :D I did get through to his Washington office though.

Maverick
09-23-2008, 10:36 PM
My congressman's local office is really close, so I might just do this.

There's some things about this bill that I'm still unsure of though, so hopefully someone can fill me in on these questions:

-What is the official title of the "Paulson plan" and what is its reference number?
-Since it's being debated in the Senate currently, does that mean the Senate originated the bill?
-When do we expect it might make it through to the House?

JanetR
09-23-2008, 10:55 PM
My congressman's local office is really close, so I might just do this.

There's some things about this bill that I'm still unsure of though, so hopefully someone can fill me in on these questions:

-What is the official title of the "Paulson plan" and what is its reference number?
-Since it's being debated in the Senate currently, does that mean the Senate originated the bill?
-When do we expect it might make it through to the House?

Hi, Maverick...

If you just make reference to "the bailout bill," they'll know exactly what you're talking about; trust me! The whole world is talking about it.

As I understand it, it must pass the House first (because all revenue bills must originate in the House of Reps); but both houses are concurrently hammering out their "plans" for what they want to see in it. The last schedule I heard was vote of House on Thursday followed by the Senate on Friday... but this could be moved up with little notice. Or delayed.:D

Janet