PDA

View Full Version : Branding is a MAJOR Issue

InterestedParticipant
09-23-2008, 06:48 AM
I can't think of a single person I know who would wear a bracelet that branded them a SLAVE.

When one creates a name for something you are creating a promise to every person that participates in that name, what is typically called the "brand promise." What is 'SlaveUprising' promising to its constituency? ... and what are its values (brand values)?

Ron Paul's brand promise is Individual Liberty and Government that honors the spirit and letter of the US Constitution (ie small gov't).....all under the values of Moral Leadership. These are ALL extremely positive promises. I am proud to be associated with ALL of them.

But tell me, how does a Ron Paul supporter, one who gladly affiliates themselves with the Ron Paul Brand, go from Ron Paul values and promises to values and promises affiliate with a SLAVE? This does not make any sense to me, and I don't see how one would expect any cross-over.

If I put my skeptical and cynical hat on for a moment, I would have to conclude that this branding was developed by devious Social Planners in the basement of some elite Think Tank. I mean, how better to defeat and demoralize a population than to get that group to affiliate themselves with slavery. I mean, psychologically, you've won as soon as the affiliation is made in the mind of each individual.

I am certainly no slave, and I will never ever allow myself to even think that way. I'm a sovereign individual who wishes to coordinate with other sovereign individuals to ensure our collective individual sovereignty. Certainly, one can develop a brand promise, image and name that reflects sovereign individual values better than Slave Uprising.

How about something like "Free American"..... or "Proud American" ...or "Sovereign Individual"???

RickyJ
09-23-2008, 06:50 AM
I am certainly no slave, and I will never ever allow myself to even think that way.

So you don't pay any income tax?

constituent
09-23-2008, 06:54 AM
How about something like "Free American"..... or "Proud American" ...or "Sovereign Individual"???

then do it.

the slaveuprising ball is rolling. the initiative has been seized and run with.

i would strongly encourage you, if you support the broad goal of unity, to put up a website at any domain you see fit and then spin the wristband how you see fit, marketing it accordingly.

that said, branding is a MAJOR issue, hence the explosive growth of the new movement so far (this brand sells). i have to wonder why you seem to want to stop it.

constituent
09-23-2008, 06:55 AM
If I put my skeptical and cynical hat on for a moment, I would have to conclude that this branding was developed by devious Social Planners in the basement of some elite Think Tank. I mean, how better to defeat and demoralize a population than to get that group to affiliate themselves with slavery. I mean, psychologically, you've won as soon as the affiliation is made in the mind of each individual.

You're right. Josh Lowry, myself and a few others are really "devious Social Planners in the basement of some elite Think Tank."

:rolleyes:

I call stink finger.

JoshLowry
09-23-2008, 08:06 AM
I can't think of a single person I know who would wear a bracelet that branded them a SLAVE.

When one creates a name for something you are creating a promise to every person that participates in that name, what is typically called the "brand promise." What is 'SlaveUprising' promising to its constituency? ... and what are its values (brand values)?

Ron Paul's brand promise is Individual Liberty and Government that honors the spirit and letter of the US Constitution (ie small gov't).....all under the values of Moral Leadership. These are ALL extremely positive promises. I am proud to be associated with ALL of them.

But tell me, how does a Ron Paul supporter, one who gladly affiliates themselves with the Ron Paul Brand, go from Ron Paul values and promises to values and promises affiliate with a SLAVE? This does not make any sense to me, and I don't see how one would expect any cross-over.

I am certainly no slave, and I will never ever allow myself to even think that way. I'm a sovereign individual who wishes to coordinate with other sovereign individuals to ensure our collective individual sovereignty. Certainly, one can develop a brand promise, image and name that reflects sovereign individual values better than Slave Uprising.

Because we're not free Americans and we're not Sovereign Individuals. How is all that sovereignty doing for our non-violent drug offenders?

"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."

Wear a band because you know the truth and want to resist the status quo of thinking that you actually are free.

sratiug
09-23-2008, 08:33 AM
Slave works. Slaves we are. Slave it is. Only a slave to political correctness would change it. Every churchgoing person knows that the history of slavery goes back thousands of years to all manor of peoples. And every person who knows history. And every person who knows current events.

The name fits so well, the only choice to me would be whether to implement it or forget the whole thing. And I think it is a great idea.

Adam Kokesh
09-23-2008, 09:08 AM
The branding issue raised here is important, but I think InterestedParticipant is somewhat misunderstanding the brand we are developing. That is our failure. The point is not to brand yourself as a slave to celebrate that, but to acknowledge and pledge to resist. If we are staying with the "slave" branding (I think/hope we are) we need to hit the "uprising/resistance" angle heavier. I think we can use the word "resist" and still leave it open to personal interpretation. You wear the band as a commitment to resist any way you are comfortable, from writing a polite letter to your congressman, to shooting IRS agents. (I mean nonviolently! I mean, shooting them with rubber bullets! I mean shooting them with silly string!) I meant to say not paying taxes.

JoshLowry
09-23-2008, 09:11 AM
'Pledge to Resist' summarizes it nicely.

lisajames96
09-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Slave works. Slaves we are. Slave it is. Only a slave to political correctness would change it. Every churchgoing person knows that the history of slavery goes back thousands of years to all manor of peoples. And every person who knows history. And every person who knows current events.

The name fits so well, the only choice to me would be whether to implement it or forget the whole thing. And I think it is a great idea.

I think it was the whole idea of euphemisms(instead of the blunt truth) that got us into all this mess in the first place.
The idea that income taxation wasn't so bad, and that it would only hurt the "other people", sounded sweet to wage earners back then.

Say it for what it is. Slavery. When wages/property, through taxation is appropriated unconstitutionally, and forced under the threat of a weapon, you either have to keep working to live, or starve and die...what else is it.

constituent
09-23-2008, 09:18 AM
When wages/property, through taxation is appropriated unconstitutionally, and forced under the threat of a weapon, you either have to keep working to live, or starve and die...what else is it.

very well said, i'd like to see that incorporated into the site's text if possible.

InterestedParticipant
09-23-2008, 10:54 AM
The branding issue raised here is important, but I think InterestedParticipant is somewhat misunderstanding the brand we are developing. That is our failure. The point is not to brand yourself as a slave to celebrate that, but to acknowledge and pledge to resist. If we are staying with the "slave" branding (I think/hope we are) we need to hit the "uprising/resistance" angle heavier. I think we can use the word "resist" and still leave it open to personal interpretation. You wear the band as a commitment to resist any way you are comfortable, from writing a polite letter to your congressman, to shooting IRS agents. (I mean nonviolently! I mean, shooting them with rubber bullets! I mean shooting them with silly string!) I meant to say not paying taxes.

Adam, I believe it would be helpful if perhaps you, or someone in the group, could develop a sentence or two that clearly articulates your brand promise to your constituents as well as your brand values and your vision. What are you attempting to do, specifically, and what is its the personality. Then map that to the personality and brand values of existing RP supporters and see if you can really get wide support and crossover. I'm concerned that, while your initial take-up rate of early adopters is high, that you will quickly hit a will with new recruits, and the organization will cease to grow and stall.

Freedom 4 all
09-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Just thinking though, do you think black people are going to be offended by this?

SnappleLlama
09-23-2008, 12:15 PM
Just thinking though, do you think black people are going to be offended by this?

Why would it be offensive?

acptulsa
09-23-2008, 12:19 PM

Hope so. If it gets them thinking, they'll be among the first to be reached by it.

InterestedParticipant
09-23-2008, 12:26 PM
Just thinking though, do you think black people are going to be offended by this?Hope so. If it gets them thinking, they'll be among the first to be reached by it.

OMG folks, you so need to focus group test this, even if it is very informal. Otherwise, you risk offending many people and totally discrediting RP supporters. This is hi-risk stuff you are doing, and it really really needs to be thought through carefully.

I'm not trying to poo-poo your energy or your efforts, I'm just asking some basic questions that I think if addressed now, will help you in the long run.

SnappleLlama
09-23-2008, 12:29 PM
OMG folks, you so need to focus group test this, even if it is very informal. Otherwise, you risk offending many people and totally discrediting RP supporters. This is hi-risk stuff you are doing, and it really really needs to be thought through carefully.

I'm not trying to poo-poo your energy or your efforts, I'm just asking some basic questions that I think if addressed now, will help you in the long run.

Why is this high risk? Black people aren't the only ones to have been enslaved.

acptulsa
09-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Why is this high risk? Black people aren't the only ones to have been enslaved.

And even if you find some who think they are, I believe most everyone knows what an uprising is.

JoshLowry
09-23-2008, 12:42 PM

We've had a few black people post in support of it already.

I think it's something we could use to help unite people of all colors.

The main thing this is centered on is the quote. Roman slaves were taken in from every country they conquered. They were slaves of all backgrounds and races.

constituent
09-23-2008, 12:43 PM
"black people?"

you're kidding, right?

sometimes i wonder just how different people think "black" and "white" people are from one another.

Josh_LA
09-23-2008, 04:44 PM

I would.

aspiringconstitutionalist
09-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Being enslaved and being rightfully a sovereign individual are not mutually exclusive situations. Think a little harder about it.

sratiug
09-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Wesley Snipes. Black. Slave. Honorary poster bo, um, man. Volunteered to pay his taxes and put in jail (is he really in jail?) anyway for 3 years for misdemeanor charges. Send him a bracelet?

JoshLowry
09-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Wesley Snipes. Black. Slave. Honorary poster bo, um, man. Volunteered to pay his taxes and put in jail (is he really in jail?) anyway for 3 years for misdemeanor charges. Send him a bracelet?

Send one to every celebrity that is sick of being a slave to the system, someone will wear it!

constituent
09-23-2008, 06:22 PM
Send one to every celebrity that is sick of being a slave to the system, someone will wear it!

steven colbert.

lisajames96
09-24-2008, 06:19 AM
Hope so. If it gets them thinking, they'll be among the first to be reached by it.

Bingo! If a black man challenges you on the word, he will then be ALL EARS to hear you explain it...thus educating him(an American) on the evils of big government. Most people only have a cliche idea about how bad our taxation and federal over- regulation is. Just my $.02. I do like the idea of stressing it was the history of Roman slavery that inspired the theme, if that would help those that are a little queazy over the names.

DirtMcGirt
09-24-2008, 07:35 AM
The branding issue is a good point but if you include a short but sweet typed explanation with the bracelet (on 3x4 piece of paper) I think it would end any controversy. or if it said "SLAVE to the FED"

ronpaulforprez2008
09-24-2008, 09:33 AM
The branding issue is a good point but if you include a short but sweet typed explanation with the bracelet (on 3x4 piece of paper) I think it would end any controversy. or if it said "SLAVE to the FED"

I dare all you white people who are so in love with this idea to put on this bracelet, with your little explanation sheet, and take a walk through Harlem or Watts.

Sounds like people have their heart in the right place, but this name will doom all of your hard work shortly after it begins. I can only imagine what the MSM will do with this name, if you're ever so lucky enough to garner any real attention. You're basically giving the other side a huge weapon to hit you over the head with.

constituent
09-24-2008, 09:37 AM
I dare all you white people who are so in love with this idea to put on this bracelet, with your little explanation sheet, and take a walk through Harlem or Watts.

Well, I live in Texas, but I pass 11th and Chicon pretty much daily, I think i'll take you up on your challenge and letcha know.

"white people"

racist bastard.

lisajames96
09-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Well, I live in Texas, but I pass 11th and Chicon pretty much daily, I think i'll take you up on your challenge and letcha know.

"white people"

racist bastard.

I'll wear one around my family and friends. I am more afraid of the wrath of the Loyalist sheople than any particualar race...he made it seem like blacks are unthinking unreasonable people ready to pounce on the nearest person with white skin and a message. Give Black people a little more credit than that. Somebody's been watching to much TV and videos;)

DirtMcGirt
09-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Well my point was to have an explanation with it because at first glance at name for me was WTF... obviously if someone sees an individual wearing it they are going to get asked what it means, so a concise explanation is what i was getting at.

JoshLowry
09-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Well my point was to have an explanation with it because at first glance at name for me was WTF... obviously if someone sees an individual wearing it they are going to get asked what it means, so a concise explanation is what i was getting at.

Having a business card ready with the Senator quote on one side and your pledge to resist on the other would help.

micahnelson
09-24-2008, 09:54 AM
If it gets media attention...

AP/Reuters

"From the Ashes of Ron Paul's failed presidential big comes a new kind of "Revolution". Claiming to be Slaves, the supporters are promoting SlaveUprising.Com. Racially charged messages are nothing new to these supporters...blah blah newsletters, Don Black, Stormfront... And the path to redemption? Simply wear a white bracelet."

Don't get me wrong, I was moved by the story and I dont think we should dump things- but we should be the ones to put out press releases and focus on the Roman history- America is Rome. If we get in front of it and handle the press well- we will do great. If we don't, then the word slave will become the buzzword and we'll lose very quickly.

ronpaulforprez2008
09-24-2008, 10:07 AM
If it gets media attention...

AP/Reuters

"From the Ashes of Ron Paul's failed presidential big comes a new kind of "Revolution". Claiming to be Slaves, the supporters are promoting SlaveUprising.Com. Racially charged messages are nothing new to these supporters...blah blah newsletters, Don Black, Stormfront... And the path to redemption? Simply wear a white bracelet."

Don't get me wrong, I was moved by the story and I dont think we should dump things- but we should be the ones to put out press releases and focus on the Roman history- America is Rome. If we get in front of it and handle the press well- we will do great. If we don't, then the word slave will become the buzzword and we'll lose very quickly.

THEY control the media, they will twist the message to THEIR advantage. So, you have to create imagery that is very difficult for THEM to twist to their advantage. But here, with this name, it's like child's play.

I could see an AP intro that looks something like.....

"Anarchists and conspiracy theorists referring to themselves as slaves marched in front of Capitol Hill today in an uprising demanding that ...blah blah blah blah"

What normal person is going to read beyond the first line? Oh brother. Who would resist a politician's call to send out the National Guard to put-down the "uprising"? You're given it to them on a silver platter with no vasoline. C'mon folks, THINK!

JoshLowry
09-24-2008, 10:37 AM
"Anarchists and conspiracy theorists referring to themselves as slaves marched in front of Capitol Hill today in an uprising demanding that ...blah blah blah blah"

What normal person is going to read beyond the first line? Oh brother. Who would resist a politician's call to send out the National Guard to put-down the "uprising"? You're given it to them on a silver platter with no vasoline. C'mon folks, THINK!

That's just it, I AM a slave. The more people who realize they are too, the better.

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Conservationist
09-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Slave works. Slaves we are. Slave it is. Only a slave to political correctness would change it. Every churchgoing person knows that the history of slavery goes back thousands of years to all manor of peoples.

The word "slave" is derived from the ethnic term Slav, for Eastern Europeans who were enslaved by both east and west.

Conservationist
09-24-2008, 01:24 PM
THEY control the media, they will twist the message to THEIR advantage. So, you have to create imagery that is very difficult for THEM to twist to their advantage.

I think what people are trying to do is portray themselves as victims, e.g. slaves.

In a liberal democracy like the USA, that's not a bad policy.

I don't like the term SLAVE either, but I like it in combination with UPRISING. It suggests revolt in an organic sense.

Theocrat
09-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Am I a slave before I wear a white armband, or do I make myself a slave by putting on a white armband?

constituent
09-24-2008, 02:46 PM
Am I a slave before I wear a white armband, or do I make myself a slave by putting on a white armband?

admitting you're a slave is the first step on the long road to recovery.

;)

ClockwiseSpark
09-24-2008, 02:47 PM

You're already a slave. The armband represents your commitment to resist.

Theocrat
09-24-2008, 03:33 PM
You're already a slave. The armband represents your commitment to resist.

How am I a slave?

InterestedParticipant
09-24-2008, 03:33 PM
admitting you're a slave is the first step on the long road to recovery.

Actually, its more like a battered wife than a slave, it's about co-dependency. In any event, this name will only appeal to an extremely small minority and will cap-out very quickly. As someone said above, you'll get buried by the media. I can't make my objections any stronger, while the goals of your effort may be commendable, the branding here is the absolute wrong direction.

But I'm a tolerant libertarian, so to each is own. Good luck! :)

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
09-24-2008, 03:38 PM
We are forced to give a great percentage of our earnings to a Government that spends trillions however they see fit with little to no regard for our input - WE ARE SLAVES!

This is just one of the many crimes against the American people that has reduced us to slavery in one form or another. We do not have to pick cotton every day for our backs to grow weary from the strain. It is time for our Amistad!

TGautier421
09-24-2008, 03:49 PM
My only problem with the name would be the political correctness issue. How do you think the black population as a whole would take the name of this organization?

I like the ideas here. I just feel if this movement ever went mainstream, you would have already shot yourselves in the foot.

constituent
09-24-2008, 03:50 PM
I like the ideas here. I just feel if this movement ever went mainstream

movements only go "mainstream" once they've been co-opted.

myself, i'm more concerned with "critical mass."

Andrew-Austin
09-24-2008, 04:47 PM
My only problem with the name would be the political correctness issue. How do you think the black population as a whole would take the name of this organization?

I like the ideas here. I just feel if this movement ever went mainstream, you would have already shot yourselves in the foot.

I'm just guessing, but..... I think impoverished blacks would either completely fail to grasp what this 'organization' is about to the point where they don't bother commenting on it, or they would lean towards viewing it positively. The MSM would try and make up their minds however, and attempt to foster disapproval.

ronpaulforprez2008
09-25-2008, 08:15 AM
So, now I know where the name came from, its a take on Michael Moore's new "film" 'Slacker Uprising'. Sorry, I didn't see the connection because I don't pay attention to the culture creation industry anymore.

So, you guys understand that Moore is a tool of the elite, right? His documentary name would HAVE been created by people who have strong backgrounds in psychology and sociology.

Moore is another false leader...for the college students. There are a lot of false leaders out there and one must be incredibly discerning to know who to take their queues from.

constituent
09-25-2008, 09:23 AM
So, now I know where the name came from, its a take on Michael Moore's new "film" 'Slacker Uprising'. Sorry, I didn't see the connection because I don't pay attention to the culture creation industry anymore.

So, you guys understand that Moore is a tool of the elite, right? His documentary name would HAVE been created by people who have strong backgrounds in psychology and sociology.

Moore is another false leader...for the college students. There are a lot of false leaders out there and one must be incredibly discerning to know who to take their queues from.

lol. No one even knew about Michael Moore's crap when the name was formed.

Though i think we all know exactly what M.M.'s role is (what, you think you're some genius whose magically figured this out on his own? lol)

You can't even figure out what's going on.

Nice detective work Sherlock.

[scoffs]

If you don't like the direction that Slave Uprising is taking, start contributing to Patriot Uprising... or again, purchase another domain and begin marketing that one however you see fit...

I'll even help you build the site and create the content.

Something tells me that won't work for you either, b/c i don't think you're here to work.

I think you're here to bitch and moan, and do your level best (which judging from your attempts so far, isn't much) to derail/poo-poo the growing movement.

It's not difficult, though clearly you want it to be.

So at this point, put up or shutup:

What domain have you registered?

What feedback have you provided in the Patriot Uprising thread?

What angle of approach would you like to see developed?

ronpaulforprez2008
09-25-2008, 06:35 PM
lol. No one even knew about Michael Moore's crap when the name was formed.

Though i think we all know exactly what M.M.'s role is (what, you think you're some genius whose magically figured this out on his own? lol)

You can't even figure out what's going on.

Nice detective work Sherlock.

[scoffs]

If you don't like the direction that Slave Uprising is taking, start contributing to Patriot Uprising... or again, purchase another domain and begin marketing that one however you see fit...

I'll even help you build the site and create the content.

Something tells me that won't work for you either, b/c i don't think you're here to work.

I think you're here to bitch and moan, and do your level best (which judging from your attempts so far, isn't much) to derail/poo-poo the growing movement.

It's not difficult, though clearly you want it to be.

Please, personal insults are not necessary and not in keeping with the values that Ron espouses.

May I recommend the following book, as it will help you with some of the issues that have been raised:

The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding (http://www.amazon.com/22-Immutable-Laws-Branding/dp/0060007737/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222389900&sr=8-6)

constituent
09-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Please, personal insults are not necessary and not in keeping with the values that Ron espouses.

1) i'm not ron paul

2) what insults (jesus, not the ann coulter bit)?

if there were insults, they were in no greater a degree than those you levied first.

consider that sometimes, in life, you might just get what you give.

Here, a lesson for you (http://condor.depaul.edu/~hgraves/eng494/youattitude/frame.htm)

constituent
09-25-2008, 07:37 PM

May I recommend the following book, as it will help you with some of the issues that have been raised:

The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding (http://www.amazon.com/22-Immutable-Laws-Branding/dp/0060007737/ref=pd_bbs_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1222389900&sr=8-6)

and again, since you conveniently ignored it the first go round:

muzzled dogg
09-25-2008, 07:42 PM
the federal government tells you how much of your paycheck you get to take home

Natalie
09-26-2008, 07:19 AM
I like the Slave Uprising idea. It catches your attention. I don't think the name Patriot Uprising is that exciting. Most people already think of themselves as "patriotic." They won't think they need to wear a white arm band to show their patriotism.

itsthepathocrats
02-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Please Listen: Relevant Audio (http://tinyurl.com/awx3s3) (~59min)
(first 29mins is most relevant)

"When they've conquered your belief in freedom, they've conquered you!"
(14:20 - 17:30)